John Galliano, Creative Director of Martin Margiela - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-10-2014
tfs star

I've been oblivious to the rumors so this took me by surprise. This was never a house that came to mind for Galliano to return to, if ever allowed. Now peculiar to have such a high profile designer at a house that was once so shrouded in secrecy.

Definitley the fashion news of the year and at the very least this will be interesting.

06-10-2014
fashion insider

...Oscar de la Renta I understand but Maison Martin Margiela?

06-10-2014
V.I.P.

Well this makes no sense ... people. But what does these days ? Top Tweets ?

I mean Margiela House was mostly based on being anonymous .... And they "relaunched" it with Galliano - the one who "started" the Celeb Designers trend (or was it Arnault)...

All I have to say (because I do not understand this as well) is to support this decision and see what will happen ...

But I must say this is weird to read people worrying about the legacy of Margiela in the days of "chaises musicales" ... Chanel is no longer, YSL is no longer, Dior is no longer, Chloe, Givenchy, Sonia Rykiel, JPG (where Margiela started) is no longer, Carven, Vionnet, Ungaro, and so on ...

I wonder though if he'll work from the archives, as any art director does ? I bet ... For how long would he be able to play the game of the "new talent" at the head of Margiela ? I can't tell ...

I mean it is easy for instance for Marc Jacobs and Ghesquiere, for instance, to work at Vuitton ... the RTW was not real before Marc Jacobs. It was easy to work for Dior ... But Margiela ... I cannot see how someone like Galliano do it (he has a strong history in Fashion History, as much as Margiela, btw) ... It sounds like if you ask Phoebe Philo to design for Raf Simons, or the other way around. But ONCE AGAIN, I feel we have to support him. Not babysit him, but SUPPORT HIM !

(I'm not sure this post makes sense ... I haven't sleep. Insomnia.)

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 06-10-2014 at 07:25 AM.
06-10-2014
fashion insider

Very happy for John! He was punished enough!

I'm also very excited to see what he creates for Margiela, this will be an interesting fusion of creative forces!

I'm glad he is joining a brand that's more free and willing to take risks which is perfect for this new stage of John's life, he will make a powerful return, this is already the biggest fashion news of 2014, and for the next Couture week he will be the hottest ticket to get!

CONGRATS JOHN!

06-10-2014
V.I.P.

This truly made my day, clapped in excitement over reading this! I htink he could fit very well into MMM, and i hope its a smash for him. Fashion needs talents like Galliano, i only hope he is ready for the pressure again.

06-10-2014
tfs star

This obviously isn't very sensible. But I'll take it anyway and I'll keep supporting great master like Galliano. It seems like the next couture week will be pretty damn exciting.

06-10-2014
Wanderlust

I do not if this is good or bad, but I am definitely very excited to see what will happen. January will not come soon enough for me.

06-10-2014
V.I.P.

First Gemma´s comeback now John´s!
I don´t know how his aesthetics will affect Margiela, Galliano is too "femenine" imo. But for sure I´ll be anxiously waiting his debut, hopefully we´ll see a whole new Galliano side

06-10-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
I must say this is weird to read people worrying about the legacy of Margiela in the days of "chaises musicales" ... Chanel is no longer, YSL is no longer, Dior is no longer, Chloe, Givenchy, Sonia Rykiel, JPG (where Margiela started) is no longer, Carven, Vionnet, Ungaro, and so on
I agree with you completely.

And it's not like Margiela has had any sort of identity whatsoever since the man himself left the house.

Blazy was making baby steps, but that's all they were, baby steps. I'm confident he'll land in a good place, one better suited for his more commercial aesthetic.

The house needs someone with a strong point of view, and they got it.

Really excited to see how this turns out!

06-10-2014
V.I.P.

I've been loving the recent direction of the brand so this comes as a bit of a sad news to me. But of course, I'm sure intrigued to see what Galliano will do here. How the industry will welcome him back, if he will drop his buffoon ways, how he'll approach Margiela's history... this will keep us going for a while.

06-10-2014
Hell on Heels

Also - it seemed to me that we all agreed that spring 2015 has been one of the most lackluster seasons in a long time. Plus it's been a while since i got excited about Haute Couture season.... however this will go, and it could be either really bad or great, at least there's gonna be something interesting going on. If we can live with whatever Wang's doing at Balenciaga, i guess we can have a little faith in John's couturier expertise - something that's truly lacking these days.

06-10-2014
tfs star

This is indeed great news.
Yes it is a strange collaboration, but as people have said, Margiela has been desperately needing proper new direction instead of this watered-down hither-and-dither; plus, I can see that a creative visionary like Galliano would find the discrepancies a welcome challenge. He needs a chance and outlet more than anything; this can be a good stepping stone for both Galliano and MMM.

06-10-2014
V.I.P.

It's exciting news to see John back but I'm a little sad because I love the direction its under now. But I'm curious to see what will happen. Especially for Couture.

06-10-2014
Fat Karl

I am so happy that John is coming back in a big way. And back to COUTURE, too!

And while at first, it may sound like a strange fit, I actually think if you look back at what John was doing in the early 2000's at both Dior and his own label, he really was doing a lot of very experimental work...deconstructing, reconstructing, re-purposing and re-contextualizing what clothing could be.

I think it's the fact that he sort of became synonymous with a certain type of vintage glamour that most are forgetting that the man is capable of much more than a siren's bias cut gown.

V.I.P.

I'm excited to see what this all will look like. MMM needs some new direction, that's for sure.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creative, director, galliano, john, joins, maison, margiela, martin