How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2011
MON
V.I.P.

Now this is what Dior would miss! This is art, fashion, drama all together! This is John Galliano at his best!

Shame on Dior! This outdid their collection! Long live John Galliano!

06-03-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

the creativity at john galliano's namesake line has outstripped that at the house of dior for many, MANY seasons now. but again, why on earth would lvmh put on this show knowing full well that no well-intentioned editor could give prominent place to this stuff in their publication and no worldwise customer could wear this stuff in the way that the designer intentioned. they could've shown this stuff in a showroom. let photographers take their pictures. and let the stuff trickle out once they have rehabilitated this designer a bit. it's heartbreaking that it's taken this turn, but they're not managing this process very well. this is not the time to celebrate with a flashy show and they should know that.

the medium is the message.

rising star

I love this collection the jackets, the pretty houndstooth, slouchy skirts and dresses reminiscent of a much earlier Galliano, devastatingly simple and flattering gathering at the torso. I'm annoyed at Toledo, completely. I disagree he held back for Dior; he was probably held back and what we see here is the true Galliano. I'm highly concerned he may lose his 'name' in whatever future Galliano has thanks to the ownership issues. But whatever, the recent past won't stop me wearing Galliano, this collection proves how wearable and beautiful the clothes are.

trendsetter

This collection is so beautiful. It makes me sad to think that we won't probably see it much in magazines/red carpets.

Fat Karl

This goes to show how very, deeply talented John truly is.

The fate of his namesake label is up in the air, but I know that his legacy, no matter what happens will forever be remembered. He's done too much for fashion for him to disappear from our hearts and minds. I imagine that we'll all be able to separate John the man and John the designer. Lets not forget that Coco Chanel aligned herself with Nazis during WWII and look how we celebrate her work to this very day. By no means do we approve of those specific actions, but we've been able to disassociate the actual work from those moments and realize the importance and the impact that work has had on society and culture. We will do the same for Galliano, I know it.

backstage pass

very nice. so glad galliano got to go out with this collection instead of the latest Dior.

07-03-2011
fashion elite

^ I agree. At least this collection did his talent justice. It's been a while since I've like anything from either brand. I can only image what a proper runway show could've done for the clothes.

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

a very beautiful collection...
the best of the best
john galliano got a refined raw talent, that's what i need when it comes to creativity, art and designing clothes.

tfs star

I'm actually very surprised at how very haute couture-ish this looks.. Truely amazing. Phenomenal! Maybe wrong thread.. Idk.. But does anybody know if John Galliano will still keep doing his own collection?

07-03-2011
trendsetter

^ Don't know?

Really hope so - I tend to think unceremoniously stripping him of the Dior position, just days before the show, should be considered enough in recompense, considering the circumstances, personally?

Allowing him to retain his own label would seem, to me, to be something of a compromise between the people who think he should never design again (or suffer a 'living death') and the people who think Dior should, perhaps, have tried drying him out and sending him to therapy, as soon as they knew there was a problem; rather than covering it up, until they really couldn't anymore (assuming that's what really went on?) and then firing him once it all went public?

However, I think it's clear that they almost certainly won't be backing him, anymore, so I guess it all depends whether he can find someone else to back him, or not?

My guess is that there will probably be a gap of a few years, at least?

Last edited by chloehandbags; 07-03-2011 at 03:57 AM.
07-03-2011
Alluring

It's all so painfully beautiful.

I actually love the way it was presented, the intimate mini-show, especially in the stunning 34 Avenue Foch interior, suits these clothes so much better than the runway.

Beautiful one to say goodbye. It really made me realize how much will I miss John in the fashion world.

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

LVMH has a major stake in the Galliano label, and supposedly it barely breaks even (just like McQueen's line).

so something tells me that, unlike McQueen, Galliano will be dropped very soon.

but John has made a name for himself, he will re-emerge at some point. A few eponymous lines have gone under and then resurfaced with new financial backers (Kors, Izaac Mizrahi), I don't think John is doomed.

07-03-2011
windowshopping

ugh i'm so torn. this collection is probably the first one this season that really spoke to me. it's all about beauty and elegance. it''s unbelievable. but i feel weird loving it after everything. i guess it's true thought that there are and have been many great artists who weren't perfect role models but will go down in history as geniuses. this collection is too amazing for me to hate it just b/c i wasn't happy with certain things Galliano said. i'm in love with it all.

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

I think that Bernard Arnault has been conspicuously silent on this matter and it's too early to tell if Galliano and his eponymous line will stay within LVMH, I can see it going either way. What works in Juan Carlos' favor is that Arnault supposedly has a great deal of personal affection for him, and also from a business standpoint this could be the beginning of Galliano, both the designer and house, taking their place in the pantheon a la Yves Saint Laurent after he left Dior. Even though Dior is the crown jewel, I would not be surprised if a major fashion house being founded and nurtured by LVMH, and not just acquired, is appealing.

Of course Galliano's remarks were outrageous and highly offensive and he was fired from Dior, denounced publicly and the matter will follow him for the rest of his life and be part of his obituary, so he certainly has not gotten away with anything, and him spending some time "in exile" as part of his penance is also not unreasonable, but there are some outstanding issues regarding this matter: one is the context of the video, two is the resolution of the he said-she said criminal case and three is the expose on Galliano that is no doubt being written by fashion / pop culture's version Bob Woodward, Maureen Orth perhaps.

I don't know if everything is going to break Galliano's way, and have not ruled out that he is anti-Semitic, I am just waiting to see how things unfold. However, if more comes out that shows that there is more context to these matters than the leaps of faith that have been made, while it won't negate what he said and I think that there will be a segment of people that he will never win back and that's fine, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Galliano can come back as a designer and be as good if not better than before.

Last edited by agee; 07-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.
07-03-2011
windowshopping

Much better than the Dior collection, which when I saw thought John had a foreboding of his demise there thus decided to avenge the house.

But actually, he is running out of creative juice. This collection only gets me excited because the Dior's was pathetic and clearly designed with laziness and arrogance of having been at the helm of Dior thereby gotten too famous and too well liked -- the kind of well liked-ness the favorite child get from parents and grandparent, of sycophants giving their idols -- by the fashion media oligarchy. But the excitement died off quickly.

When JG first came to the scene his clothes were out-of-this-world yet wearable as they celebrate the women's body as well as our latent sensuality. Now they are more theatrical, often times tacky. He appears stuck for a few years on this style, both here and at Dior.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, galliano, john, paris