How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2011
Unveil Yourself....

Tim Blanks' review for style.com

Quote:
A Galliano show is usually an excuse for a fashion bacchanal, the clothes just one component of a son et lumière spectacular. Now the mighty have fallen. Today's outing consisted of 20 looks presented in a salon on Avenue Foch. But what better testament could there be to the genius of their creator than that there was scarcely any sense of diminishment? In fact, attendees with memories unimpaired by the poisons that have been addling Galliano's own brain were irresistibly drawn back to his epochal March 1994 presentation in the hôtel particulier of patron Sao Schlumberger. That was a beginning, this was an end, but there was the same essence of Dietrich glamour, untrammeled imagination, beauty out of time, presented in an intimate, inescapable way.

The thirties line that Galliano always loved was revisited in the rigorous tailoring he excelled at, but it was wickedly updated: Karlie Kloss' jacket was tattered, the fur-collared number that followed was paired with a pencil skirt in latex. The hand of Galliano the master seducer was obvious in a silk jacket in a dégradé plaid, which was belted over a slipdress. Another slipdress was worn under a latex-yoke organza coat. A clutch of the bias-cut beauties that were the designer's original calling card were preceded by Kloss in a breathtaking full-skirted, halter-neck gown with an arrowhead motif. If it couldn't distract from the ugliness of recent events, it also underlined the loss. Likewise, the classically draped one-shoulder closer, which was gathered at the back with pink ribbons. They were the sort of dresses you could imagine in a once entirely justifiable museum retrospective of Galliano's work. But could such a thing even happen now?

You might think what happens next could be reasonably inferred from the actions of Galliano's parent company, Christian Dior, over the past week. They've cut the designer loose, which would normally imply that none of these clothes would see the light of a retail day. And yet Dior CEO Sidney Toledano, who didn't mention Galliano by name in his speech at Dior's Friday show, was greeting guests at today's presentation. And, the Galliano showroom is taking sales appointments. The world continues to work in mysterious ways.
Such a strong collection...it's heartbreaking, really. And that green dress on Viviane has to be one of his best dresses of the past few years. For both Dior and his eponymous line.

Nobody knows what's gonna happen to the Galliano brand, but the part I bolded above is very interesting and sorta leaves all options open.

twitter.com/ErikP87

07-03-2011
trendsetter

They say over at vogue.com, that they played End Credits by Chase + Status, is that true? Such a surprising song for a fashion show, if it's true.

backstage pass

This was FAR better than Dior.m Much more inspired and intresting. John does a lot with the 20's influences and manages to make beautiful collections. We should have seen more of this at Dior

V.I.P.

this is definitely much much better than his work for Dior. think, last four or five season was.

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

FABULOUS collection.

V.I.P.

i always love his namesake collection to dior!

07-03-2011
chaos reigns

Whoa! Tim mentioned the Schlumberger (sp?) show .. i thought exactly of that when i saw the presentation .. i even thought it was a held at her house just like back in the day ... and there's something as well that reminds me of the EPIC haute couture collection Galliano did for Dior with the most fantastic reviews I think Ive seen ... ever. This is it. Adieu. Finale. And in which way was it done. Stripping the presentation of everything so many people criticized Galliano for (the teatrics) and just let the clothes do the talking. Vive le roi!

tFS STAFF

Front page on tFS today: John Galliano Fall 2011 Runway Review

08-03-2011
fashion elite

John Galliano - F/W 11.12 - Full Fashion Show (Exclusive on You Tube)

trendsetter

thank you for the video, it is sad that they ALWAYS forget close up the details

backstage pass

How strange, a big mash-up of some of the music used at Dior...

08-03-2011
V.I.P.

How I love this collection, the styling and setting. I really hope the brand will still exist, the shows are always a spectacle I enjoy...

08-03-2011
backstage pass

o john I miss you and your glory days

08-03-2011
trendsetter

Oh I forgot say that this collection is very, very beautiful, the work is delicated, so Galliano, so femenine and sexy and carries the exquisite sense that Galliano gives to your heart and just him and only him can offer to your spirit in a so delicious way...

Fat Karl

That's interesting...in the video, Magdalena is not wearing the final white dress?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, galliano, john, paris