How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2011
V.I.P.

I think that when it comes to Dior, things will keep rolling and the argument will be made that Dior is bigger than Galliano from both a heritage and atelier standpoint. I think that there will be a campaign, however LVMH may not buy as much ad space for the Dior mainline as they had in recent seasons, both because of the controversy and because the collection was a hot mess.

I think that both LVMH and the editors are going to shift their attention to other LVMH houses, my eyes are on Pucci and Givenchy, even though the Givenchy collection was a mess too, but there was definitely editorial stuff in the collection. Now that the golden child has fallen out of favor, the other babies are going to get more attention from Daddy.

Dior will probably take a big hit on the red carpet, but don't count out some defiantly wearing Dior or Galliano as a sign of solidarity, but in the short term I don't think that stylists whose celebrity clients have no connection to Juan Carlos will be dressing them in Dior or Galliano.

The John Galliano label will definitely take a hit, but it is not as if it was a major presence in eds, ads or on the red carpet so I don't think that editors and stylists are all that stressed over it, other than being rueful because the collection itself was quite lovely and under ordinary circumstances would have probably gotten more editorial and red carpet play than the typical Galliano collection.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the F/W season is more stretched out than S/S, so this stuff won't be in magazines in full force until September, and these eds will probably be shot between May and July, right? I think the big editions of Vogue and Harper's Bazaar are going to err on the side of caution in terms of the Galliano label, but I don't know if that is going to be the case with the smaller magazines.

I think that it is interesting to note that when this matter was at its hottest, the John Galliano presentation was attended by top editors, the president of Dior and top models walked in the show.

15-03-2011
windowshopping

mikeijames....Anna's been the dark horse here. She's been the only one thus far who's been quiet on this incident AFAIK. I suspect there's a good reason for that....she's seeing where the wind blows before deciding how to proceed. I have a feeling her publishers will back whatever course of action she'll choose to take because she usually makes good choices and has a great instincts about the Vogue readership. Of course, I'm speaking only of the Dior/JG lines, not all of LVMH's brands. That will be biz as usual.

agee...you bring up some very good points. Yes, most of the usual crowd showed up and there wasn't much comment from the peanut gallery about it. I'm hoping that the JG line, at least, gets some good editorial treatment because it was such a strong showing. If the major glossies err to caution, I'm hoping some of the smaller indie mags use some pieces in eds.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, galliano, john, paris