How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2012
rising star

i like it because it's nothing like john galliano and more of a comme de garcons/yohji thing. loving the deconstructivism and origami draping thing going on.

30-09-2012
V.I.P.

HQ's

vogue.co.uk

V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

fashion insider

Judging from his short stint at Dior, one would think Gaytten knows how to design Galliano-esque clothes because LBR that's what he was doing but nope, some wannabe deconstruction and unflattering shapes Galliano himself would probably never go close to. Perhaps he should try doing something by himself.

30-09-2012
V.I.P.

At least it's inspired. It is unrealistic to expect someone else to come along and design just like Galliano (just as it was at McQueen), but I guess the comparing and contrasting is inevitable as we want to see some continuity. And yet, we want to see something new too. I see a little of both here, so I think this is pretty good. I think it would be difficult to be in this designer's shoes right now, such an awkward situation.

General comment: it's funny how we're so protective of the past ("Oh that's not Dior!" or "I prefer last season much better" "this designer was better at imitating YSL") while at the same time we tire quickly of any lack of novelty ("Sicily again!" "I am sick of minimalism" "this rips off so-and-so's collection; it's just a copy" etc).

What a fine line fashion designers must walk; they live within the paradox of being the same and different at once. Move on!! AND... Be faithful!! Just strikes me as amusing at the moment.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
30-09-2012
windowshopping

I really liked the collection since I am a big fan of Yohji Yamamoto' s style...

Last edited by modelover8; 30-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
30-09-2012
fashion elite

this is not john galliano. so i dont like it. its too much of a mix of yoji yammato and comme des garcons

fashion insider

this is undeniably beautiful, but it looks nothing like Galliano

30-09-2012
front row

Those who say this has nothing to do with galliano, please once again take a look at fashion history. Galliano did these shapes in the eighties/ early 90's. Yes, he was heavily influenced by the japanese movement and also particularly by vivienne westwood, but he also made his own version of those influences at that time.

30-09-2012
trendsetter

i actually really, really like this. one of the best collections this season so far. i don't care if it's galliano or not, i adore the structural pieces, the deconstrutivism and the japanese influences. and i think the collection works really well as a whole. well done!

30-09-2012
V.I.P.

It's not bad per say, but it's not Galliano as we knew it. It's too cold, too minimalist and lacks the quirkiness to be a Galliano collection. And to be honest, Paris is already over saturated with these types of collections - large and exaggerated shapes, stiff, sort of minimalist, muted colors, etc. I don't need Galliano to be one of them.

V.I.P.

WoW, a grey cloudy sky opened up during a spring day.
This is so not what Galliano used to be but I love it.

30-09-2012
fashion insider

Love this! I can't believe I'd ever say this but it's like a cleaned-up version of early John Galliano through the perspective of Yohji Yamamoto. I'm very much confused by Gaytten - he's obviously talented, but I can't wrap my head around this and the haute couture collection he did for Dior. Would be interested to see how he evolves from here, and who is the real Bill Gaytten?

30-09-2012
fashion insider

Well, ok, the silhouettes are Galliano-ish and a step into the right direction.

Unfortunatly this looks as if these were the first, provisoric drapings of the designer Totally UNFINISHED!!!

Add 3 month of hand-sewing beads, sequins & embroidery on it and THEN it could be Galliano!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, galliano, john, paris, s or s