How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2012
barcode

^ Thank you. At the core of the Galliano label there is feminine tailoring and the bias cut, whether you add theatrics to that or not. It seems silly to completely ignore those two things entirely in favor of something that looks -- but more importantly, feels -- nothing like Galliano.

It just seems too earnest, too serious to really work.

30-09-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
At least it's inspired. It is unrealistic to expect someone else to come along and design just like Galliano (just as it was at McQueen), but I guess the comparing and contrasting is inevitable as we want to see some continuity. And yet, we want to see something new too. I see a little of both here, so I think this is pretty good. I think it would be difficult to be in this designer's shoes right now, such an awkward situation.

General comment: it's funny how we're so protective of the past ("Oh that's not Dior!" or "I prefer last season much better" "this designer was better at imitating YSL") while at the same time we tire quickly of any lack of novelty ("Sicily again!" "I am sick of minimalism" "this rips off so-and-so's collection; it's just a copy" etc).

What a fine line fashion designers must walk; they live within the paradox of being the same and different at once. Move on!! AND... Be faithful!! Just strikes me as amusing at the moment.

Excellent observation!

30-09-2012
fashion insider

Deconstructivism.. another word thrown around so loosely.

30-09-2012
fashion insider

My heart fluttered a little when I saw the title of this thread, but then I remembered that John Galliano isn't designing John Galliano.

But is this really that un-Galliano? I don't think so. Think about his last collection, or Dior HC SS11 or many other collections by him. I think this is actually quite Galliano, with a more minimalistic and consumer-focused approach.

It might not be the work of Galliano himself, but I still love it.

V.I.P.

If he continue producing work like this, I would luv to see him staying! This is really surprisingly good!

30-09-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip_ian curtis View Post
Those who say this has nothing to do with galliano, please once again take a look at fashion history. Galliano did these shapes in the eighties/ early 90's. Yes, he was heavily influenced by the japanese movement and also particularly by vivienne westwood, but he also made his own version of those influences at that time.
Absolutely correct! Good to know someone else remembers that. Galliano's work only started to become highly glamorous and embellished in the mid nineties, before that, much of his work actually looked almost street urchin-ish (in a chic way of course). He designed incredible work in the eighties and early nineties, with almost no money whatsoever.

30-09-2012
trendsetter

Just as someone said,
he is not a fashion designer
maybe a good pattern designer
but the pieces are ugly,
even the critics
will say this is fantastic.
(The LVMH pressure)

front row

I hate this, because it's nothing like John Galliano. I would've loved it had it been a different brand. When I think Galliano I think beautiful bias-cut dresses, theatrics, exquisite tailoring, all of it. But this is just too Comme and Yohji for me. It's not Galliano. While I feel that people need to look at Dior's heritage for Dior, they need to look at Galliano's heritage for this brand. This is nothing like it. Go and look at spring 1994, or 1997. There's always theatrics. This is nothing.

30-09-2012
scenester

am i the only one who feels yohji yamamoto here????

30-09-2012
trendsetter

I wish the make up was more dramatic.

30-09-2012
front row

This is absolutely lovely! Although I would never have guessed it's John Galliano if I didn't know the brand. I hope John Galliano will continue more like this

30-09-2012
MON
V.I.P.

Decent collection but this is not the John Galliano label. It`s better than the Dior collection for me though

V.I.P.

Undeniably lovely clothing but a huge slap in the face at the spirit that is Galliano.

Gaytten seems to be changing all the time doesn't it? This is completely different compared to what he presented last season, a collection miles truer to Galliano's vision than this.

01-10-2012
front row

I like how unexpected this is. Not Galliano at all!

Its nice and refreshing from a label that was once a tranny pirate mess every season.

rising star

Refreshing good or bad? I can't tell...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, galliano, john, paris, s or s