Jonathan Saunders Joins Diane Von Furstenberg as Chief Creative Officer - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-05-2016
http://fashionworldstuff.

Jonathan Saunders Joins Diane Von Furstenberg as Chief Creative Officer
Breaking News :

Source : businessoffashion.com

Quote:

The appointment is effective immediately.

NEW YORK, United States — Jonathan Saunders, the Scottish fashion designer who shuttered his London-based label in December 2015, is joining Diane Von Furstenberg as chief creative officer, effective immediately. Saunders will report to chief executive Paolo Riva and will be responsible for the overall creative direction of the brand.

“Jonathan's extraordinary passion for colours and prints, his effortless designs, and his desire to make women feel beautiful make him the perfect creative force to lead DVF into the future,” Diane von Furstenberg, the company’s founder and chairwoman, said in a statement. “I could not have found a cooler, more intelligent designer and I cannot wait to watch him shine as our chief creative officer.”

To be sure, Saunders — who launched his namesake brand in 2003, and has long been a favourite with critics, particularly in the United Kingdom — will bring a fresh perspective to the DVF studio. Like many contemporary brands with a significant wholesale presence, it has struggled over the past few years to re-establish its place in the new market. The announcement comes just months after rumours swirled that Saunders was first in line to replace Raf Simons at Christian Dior.

"The spirit with which this brand was founded is incredibly relevant today. I am thrilled to be part of its next chapter,” Saunders said. “Diane has a unique ability to deeply connect with women and I am excited to be working with Paolo on the future of the brand."

“Jonathan is an incredibly talented designer who is able to express his creative vision with great clarity. He will evolve the identity of DVF and passionately embrace our mission of putting women at the centre of everything we do. I look forward to this partnership with him,” said Riva.

Now that Saunders is installed at DVF and the announcement that Simons will join Calvin Klein is expected in the coming months, it’s becoming more clear that American brands are looking to European talent to inject something new into the country’s fashion landscape. BoF will update this story as more details emerge.

16-05-2016
tfs star

This is quite exciting if you ask me. I think his aesthetic is going to match Diane's perfectly and God knows the brand needs a re-positioning.

backstage pass

I think J Saunders is a great choice for DVF.

16-05-2016
trendsetter

This is a brilliant choice. I look forward to seeing the fruits of this union.

V.I.P.

Perfect choice for DVF. Her collections have been quite off, and I think he could give them that refined edge she desperately needs.

16-05-2016
http://fashionworldstuff.

It is a good choice. DVF's collections were "too" feminine for my taste, floral print made the Thing not better.. so hope Saunders will make DVF more innovative, more cool.
And it means Saaunders will not go to Dior , this is also a good news

16-05-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
Perfect choice for DVF. Her collections have been quite off, and I think he could give them that refined edge she desperately needs.
Yes totally! A much needed improvement.

When in doubt, wear red.

It's totally unexpected but a perfect move for DVF. I haven't been interested in their collection since forever basically but I feel like Jonathan Saunders could really make it relevant again.

rising star

Fortunately the rumors of him landing to dior were false. DVF and Saunders are a perfect and more obvious match.

16-05-2016
flaunt the imperfection

i agree that it's a good match...

i don't really like this so much though...
Quote:
Now that Saunders is installed at DVF and the announcement that Simons will join Calvin Klein is expected in the coming months, it’s becoming more clear that American brands are looking to European talent to inject something new into the country’s fashion landscape. BoF will update this story as more details emerge.
it's fine for DVF- she's not really american anyway...
but that CK brand was quintessentially NYC- when it was great...
and that is the only thing that I think will make it great again...

off-topic, i know...

16-05-2016
backstage pass

I really miss his menswear creations

V.I.P.

I think this must be one of the best matches that makes total sense...

17-05-2016
V.I.P.

They'll get a little bit of hype the next couple of seasons (and not even that) and then this brand will fall into obscurity again, the same that happened with Yvan Mispelaere.

17-05-2016
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

perfect fit

V.I.P.

But will it drive up the price point? Because the only appealing thing to me about DVF was that it wasn't runway prices. I can't afford a $1,000+ work dress.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chief, creative, diane, furstenberg, joins, jonathan, officer, saunders, von