Julian Roberts Productions (Nothing Nothing etc) - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-12-2005
scenester

I'm gonna get round to replying to all of you shortly, but first up thanks cerfas for introducing me as a subject in the first place and starting a ball rolling.

would be great if that ball could end up rolling into NYC & i could throw a little pattern happening there for TFS insiders.
I recently staged a similar event in Stockholme, Sweden and it was a buzz... cut a dress off the top of my head in front of about 50 people explaining my approach & then provided the soundtrack to a video i'd edited infront of about a 500.
I'd like to do something low key and exclusive... infront of maybe 50 wide eyed individuals with a DJ & band, video projections, models, drinks & chat... passing on what i know to those on the other side of the Atlantic, and seeing where it goes... chinese whisper style.

It's a plan.

j

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfas
Julian,

I am going to PM you later , but that would be WONDERFUL. I live in New York City, and so do a lot TFS'ers, and so do a lot of my friends...perhaps you could do something in NYC? I think you could generate a lot of interest.

Last edited by julianroberts_00; 19-12-2005 at 09:11 AM.
19-12-2005
backstage pass

Thank you for posting Julian. Now I understand the garments were made quickly, almost improvised... that kind of explains their look to me. I greatly admire anyone who can cut to an audience, kudos! That takes massive guts! If you ever come to Toronto I would love to see you in action.

I think you've created something very new but I kind of have a hard time getting it through the screen... very provoking. Would be interested in where it develops. Will you do films?

scenester

Hi finalfashion..

i have a raw cutting demo video online you can view at:
http://www.blowpr.co.uk/JULIANandSOP.../movieWAP2.htm

It's a big download.. so u'll need a fast connection & might take a while.

There are 23 other videos on my site you can view at:
http://www.blowpr.co.uk/JULIANandSOP...videoworks.htm

Thanks to Zazie for emailing me to tell me about this site ... i'll shut up now cos otherwise i'm using this site as a self promotion tool/ ego trip.
Am happy to answer questions and respond, but i might have killed the conversation...???

jx

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfashion
Thank you for posting Julian. Now I understand the garments were made quickly, almost improvised... that kind of explains their look to me. I greatly admire anyone who can cut to an audience, kudos! That takes massive guts! If you ever come to Toronto I would love to see you in action.

I think you've created something very new but I kind of have a hard time getting it through the screen... very provoking. Would be interested in where it develops. Will you do films?

19-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianroberts_00
Thanks to Zazie for emailing me to tell me about this site ... i'll shut up now cos otherwise i'm using this site as a self promotion tool/ ego trip.
Am happy to answer questions and respond, but i might have killed the conversation...???

jx
Not at all! After all it's your thread, right? I think it's really magical how this kind of thing happens on the Fashion Spot, thanks Zazie!

It seems to me like you're an intellectually generous person, Julian, I'm interested in whatever way you'd like to participate in the conversation.

One of the many contradictions was the way you've played "art" against the fashion industry. I'm wondering... was that a game attempt to profit as a business or was the running and sale of Nothing Nothing part of the act?

backstage pass

I watched the first video - again provoking. When you're talking about how simple avant-garde stuff is and how you're just showing how easy it is to do that stuff, I laughed aloud. That's what I thought when I first saw your stuff on this thread! The clothes were "avant garde stuff trying to be impressive" and it made me a tough customer. I was more impressed with the ways you were getting the word out, the concept of selling Nothing Nothing, and how you drummed up excitement around the actual making of the clothes. The clothes are more like quick charcoal sketches than finished illustrations, to draw an "art" analogy.

I can respect the way you break all the stupid fashion week rules. Which brings me to the obvious question... why counter-schedule McQueen?

Oh and how awesome is it you came to this thread? Karma for you! Through the magic of the internet suddenly I am not just reading the story, I'm asking one of the story's main characters questions. Amazing.

19-12-2005
fashion insider

You're most welcome finalfashion. I wasn't really sure if I should write to Julian, but (1) he sounded accessible and approachable on his website - after all, he's sharing his "trade secrets" (too many designers come across as pedestal geniuses...) with everyone, and (2) there really is more to talk about Julian and Sophie's work and method, about construction, shapes, movement, not just whether mutton-o-leg sleeves will be fashionable next year.

I've always liked Preen, CdG, and I was happily surprised by Nothing Nothing. I would have bidded on eBay, if I'd known about it, not that I would know what to do with it, but I'd collect the patterns and maybe return them to Julian someday, when he regrets the sale...heh. Like you, I'm also curious about the gesture, my guess is that it was out of frustration?

Also, I think TFS is the right forum, there are enough interested and informed and intelligent posters.

Like many of the TFSers on this thread, I'd really like to see where this is headed to next. There will be a 2006 collection, right? Really hope Julian and Sophie will spare the time to post about their work.

20-12-2005
V.I.P.

I think I'm in love

20-12-2005
fashion insider

Julian,

Contrary to what you think, please DO NOT shut up...don't think of it as self-promotion, but a dialogue and a direct form of communication, until you get tired of us. Although the thread will thrive on its own, it makes a huge difference if we hear directly from you!

20-12-2005
fashion elite

It seems to me that the selling of the label was to make a statement. There were very clearly laid out motivations behind it, I thought. To me it was a piece of art.

Also, just to clear up confusion again,
the new label is called Parc des Expositions, and it's just Julian.

20-12-2005
scenester

FinalFashion dyou have a name?... or is anonimity part of the TFS thing?!... You all probably know eachother a bit but i feel a bit naked here talking to people called 'FinalFashion', 'Nextnewface' & 'Hyde Park Lover'! Throw down your masks & look me in the eye... im actually quite a shy person, so don't feel scared to ask me ANYTHING.
Like FinalFashion says... its kind of wichcraft that i'm here and we can learn something from eachother.
I've printed out this whole thread & will get round to saying hi to everyone and giving back my own reflections on some of the interesting points raised... its just that i can only fit this in around a whole load of other stuff i have to do (work, projects, buying christmas presents, life... that kinda thing!) so please be patient if i'm slow to respond. Also i have to get used to all the buttons/smiley faces etc... keep pressing the wrong thing!
Please no one feel inhibited to say anything they like. If you want to attack me or criticize im cool with it. If you challenge me you'll get more out of me.

In answer to your question: Yes i've played 'art'... with the emphasis on 'play'. Some of the things i do ARE art... these things i do not present. They are mine & only mine & do not need to be shown or presented to validate them. I keep them seret. I do sometimes have my tongue firmly pressed against my cheek when i do 'art for fashion'... especially during my JULIAN AND SOPHIE phase.
To tell you the truth i'm not a great business person, i'm not great with money and don't have much interest in it other that to facilitate my projects.
The end of nothing nothing came 2months before it's sale... i staged a final show in a disused church in Chelsea, London... with a Requiem Mass playing and a priest sat in the front row (The priest was actually my dad ) The name of the show was 'Morituri te Salutamus'. I stopped nothing nothing because i found the press attention restrictive and wanted to explore new things. I've now got into the habit of launching & terminating labels fairly regularly. I do it to escape boredom and to challenge myself to come up with something different. It doesn't make business sense cos buyers are left wanting to order stuff & wondering where you've gone. Shortly after the final show there was an anti-capitalist day called 'Buy Nothing Day'... to which i have no affiliation or real interest, but i did use the same day as the start of 'Buy nothing nothing Day' as there was some vague correlation: I sold nothing nothing to simply dispose of it & say that success isn't just about making money. I define my own success.

20-12-2005
scenester

Hi Julian my name's Ksenya btw
I remember Buy Nothing Day (although I gave in and bought a slice of pizza)...but you are so right in saying that you define your own success; I can totally relate to this as at the moment my family is in the process of some massive life changes and people are judging and ****...even though that has nothing to do with fashion

Just randomly, how old are you?

Anyway I'm moving to a little town in Surrey in a month; I'd love to come and see and learn about your approach! Haha especially since your site is blocked by my French government-provided lap top.

20-12-2005
scenester

Hey Zazie!

Selling nothing nothing was not such a big deal.
I showed under a label name.
That name became affixed to my work for 5 seasons.
Then i cast off that shell.
Yes it confuses because people like to know their labels, name drop, praise you, criticize you, stock you, compare you, wear your products... they like continuity and the status attached to your product.
When you ditch the name you temporarily devalue that status.
When you return with something new people look for the comparisons & similarities, and in doing so also expose the differences.
In time if you stick around long enough people go backwards and trace your development and romanticize the early labels.
The same often happens with bands & music.
For me nothing nothing isn't gone just because the patterns/garments/labels are gone. It's a part of my life.. the place i lived, the people i loved, the way i cut my hair & the music i was into at the time... it exists in memory & in myth, and it's probably more vivid & interesting as a subject now because it's absent/gone. In reality nothing nothing was just me when i was younger, with less skills & experience than now... it was an imperfect product made on a shoestring budget. It's gone, get over it! The future's always more interesting... ive shown 13collections and then taken a few seasons out inorder to work on commissions, websites, videos, art shows and teaching, and now im hungry to make a new statement/collection/show. I'll launch it in September 2006 under the Parc deS EXpositions label... but im not going to talk about it too much cos it's bad luck! Patience

20-12-2005
scenester

Randomly, im 34.
my family's in the process of some massive changes too...
unsettling.
I think it took me til the end of nothing gothing (27/8) to do things for MYSELF rather than to please/respect my family/friend/idols etc... not that that's got anything to do with anything
if you come to surrey get in touch & i'll try find a way to invite u to something im doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl?
Hi Julian my name's Ksenya btw
I remember Buy Nothing Day (although I gave in and bought a slice of pizza)...but you are so right in saying that you define your own success; I can totally relate to this as at the moment my family is in the process of some massive life changes and people are judging and ****...even though that has nothing to do with fashion

Just randomly, how old are you?

Anyway I'm moving to a little town in Surrey in a month; I'd love to come and see and learn about your approach! Haha especially since your site is blocked by my French government-provided lap top.

20-12-2005
scenester

Also, does anyone know whats become of nothing nothing since the sale?

20-12-2005
scenester

The stuff i demonstrate to students & people who've never cut before (ie. the girl in the video i was talking to) are the most stripped down streamlined versions of what i do.. have communicated those techniques hundreds of times now so they become simpler & simpler... less like a charcoal line... more like a thumb print smudge
They are the starting point, a way of thinking, not the limit of the technique.
I build technique on technique like an onion & jump backwards & forwards between different methods of construction when i cut things out of view ... ie. when im not teaching them.
What i wanted to do is show an approach to cutting that is the exact flipside opposite of normnal cutting... its about the removal of space from a pattern rather than about addition. I show it in a fundemental way to make it sticky so that it sticks in the head. I want people to know that ANYONE can cut, that im not a genius, that people who are proclaimed geniuses of cut like John Galliano/ Rei Kawakubo/ Vivienne Westwood/ Preen... are NOT GENIUSES. Its a myth. Clever freehand non-mathematical cutting is as simple as thumb print smudge... u just have to be shown the possibilities.
Thing is i am now slightly regretting putting some of these ideas out there.
I will tell you why tomorrow...
I gotta go eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfashion
I watched the first video - again provoking. When you're talking about how simple avant-garde stuff is and how you're just showing how easy it is to do that stuff, I laughed aloud. That's what I thought when I first saw your stuff on this thread! The clothes were "avant garde stuff trying to be impressive" and it made me a tough customer. I was more impressed with the ways you were getting the word out, the concept of selling Nothing Nothing, and how you drummed up excitement around the actual making of the clothes. The clothes are more like quick charcoal sketches than finished illustrations, to draw an "art" analogy.

I can respect the way you break all the stupid fashion week rules. Which brings me to the obvious question... why counter-schedule McQueen?

Oh and how awesome is it you came to this thread? Karma for you! Through the magic of the internet suddenly I am not just reading the story, I'm asking one of the story's main characters questions. Amazing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
julian, productions, roberts