How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

Such a dark collection! Still it's very beautiful. The gowns at the end remind me a lot of McQueen for last season.

22-02-2011
windowshopping

It's beautiful and I love it.
All the transparencies and textures used, look (and I bet feel) amazing.
A+

22-02-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Reminds me of 90s McQueen. It has the same aura about it. I like Macdonald though, his collections are never over-thought with just the right amount of detail.
I was just thinking that going through the photos; that he was channelling McQueen's death over the year and burped out this wholly gorgeous, dark, textured, rich and interesting collection. Yum.

rising star

However, I am just getting ticked off with the fur. At least it wasn't ALL over the place unlike Williamson. Christ, I'm not an ardent anti-fur person and don't consider long dead vintage fur an issue but not this. Meh.

V.I.P.

the last dress is sooo gorgeous!!

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

never was fan of Julien Macdonald, but this collection I really like. very surprising. agree with opinion he remind McQueen work. love gothis theme and final gowns look incredible. these clothes are not only for Cheryl Cole-type of celebrities!

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

All the last dresses are divine. I love this designs- in the front- short, in the back-long.
The beginning is very dark- just like Gothic but in all a nice collection.

backstage pass

This is really beautiful.

I agree with dizzytacks that Macdonald is not the cool kid and label that everyone wants to be associated with, but never mind the name-- these are just beautiful pieces for the individual and not the fashion-victim. That sense of dusty and dark romanticism is the only reference I sense with McQueen, otherwise Macdonald's made this collection all his own.

Love at first sight for this collection.

23-02-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

for the first time in such a long time, i'm really excited for a julien macdonald collection. while i don't count him among my favorites, i do appreciate that he stepped out of his glam-girl aesthetic to deliver something dark, moody, and compelling. also, i love the way the collection focuses on the idea of layering and dips into the savage and feral in order to pull it off. something quite unexpected for a designer whose most out-of-the-box idea of uncivilized is uneven beadwork.

backstage pass

Sorry, you're all wrong - it's tacky and awful.

I did think for a minute with the more day looks that lead, maybe, but the gowns are tragic and look like they'd combust in an instant presented to a naked flame. And where on earth has he got their palette from. They look like they came out of an old aunt's fancy dress/ dressing up box. Tragic.

With the looks that evoke a skeletal/antler/fern motif, there's just too much ornate fussiness for that idea to feel right.

And look more closely at look 2 in the lace at the sternum. It's some sort of deranged camel head. Or is it the designer's self portrait perhaps. I'm all for fusion but gothic and comedy animal heads? There's just something wrong about all of it.

23-02-2011
V.I.P.

If you listen closely, you may hear Lee McQueen sigh: "ah, a man after my roots". This being, to my mind, a good sigh, a happy sigh, a RIP sigh.

This collection, from the first look, is a treat; it recalls McQueen, especially towards the end, but it seems to have this weird paradoxical feeling to it: I can't help but think, how can all those frills be on women who look like *that,* so tough. And the colours are just "off" enough to make them somehow also right.

I love it.

Here's two of those tough-frills, dirty-pastel dresses:

style.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, julien, london, macdonald