Junya Watanabe Mens F/W 07.08 Paris - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2007
backstage pass

I'm liking the red coats that he and Yohji showed, but as others have said, the general biker/punk look isn't feeling very inspired right now. That said, I also like the zippered pants in R-G's second post.

C'mon Paris. Give me a collection to love.

front row

He has done those biker jackets for zillions of times. I am so tired of it. Actually everything we see in this thread so far have been done (most likely also by himself) for many times before. BTW, didn't we see a similiar version of those studded boots in post #15 from Miu Miu last season? I really wish Junya could take a break with menswear for a while. Compared with his womens collections, the menswear are so repeatitive and so not good.

27-01-2007
arndom

I like the boiled wool, shrunken fabrics he uses for the jkts. I also like the length that everybody makes on swr, he does it so well on jkts.
The shrunken trench is superb. Very classic and real (as the tag says:-)

Haoshcn, the boots with studs were in JW woman collection before Miumiu, and used in various collections from other designers and non-designers before the before as well:-P

Last edited by nqth; 27-01-2007 at 11:44 AM.
27-01-2007
scenester

woo... i like all the jackets being shown!! not an interesting show but ok
the zipped pants remind me of a pair boots by Raf Simons last season...

27-01-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by haoshcn
He has done those biker jackets for zillions of times. I am so tired of it. Actually everything we see in this thread so far have been done (most likely also by himself) for many times before. BTW, didn't we see a similiar version of those studded boots in post #15 from Miu Miu last season? I really wish Junya could take a break with menswear for a while. Compared with his womens collections, the menswear are so repeatitive and so not good.
At least the Swiss climbers aren't a returning feature. How are the jackets at all different from Lewis Leathers? (Who Junya collaborated with a while ago)

27-01-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
At least the Swiss climbers aren't a returning feature. How are the jackets at all different from Lewis Leathers? (Who Junya collaborated with a while ago)
Yes, you are right. I actually got a blue coat from that collection on YOOX. It's supposed to be foldable into a bag and be carried around with the attached belt, but I still couldn't figure out how to do it. :p

27-01-2007
D‘MMkammern

i like quite a few of these... and i normally wouldnt so someone tell me... what makes this regular collection so appealing?

front row

Hug me and tell me men's fashion is not doomed.

27-01-2007
rising star

Both S/S and now F/W have been a HUGE dissapoint for me from Watanabe. Those polyester suits, and now these blah biker jackets....

27-01-2007
V.I.P.

i don't have much knowledge of menswear but i like this
i would wear this if i was a guy..it's my style

V.I.P.

Quote:
January 27, 2007
There are designers who are happy to wax lyrical about their inspirations—and then there’s Junya Watanabe. He flatly rejected any suggestion of subtext or deeper meaning in his latest collection. He doesn’t even like motorbikes. Bikerwear just happened to be a convenient jumping-off point for one of his characteristic meditations on iconic American menswear. Ah, yes, but that’s a subtext, whether he likes it or not. Bike boys are laden with connotations (rebellion, the freedom of the open road, the cult of the outsider) and Watanabe underscored the connection by his choice of collaborator: Vanson Leathers, a leading American manufacturer of motorcycle jackets, pants, and biking accessories.

The Watanabe way is to leave no sartorial clichť undeconstructed combinations, so he broke down the biker jacket into its component parts—collar, belt, zips, etc.—and put them back together in unexpected ways: an elongated version in felted wool, for instance, or a tight little red number, also in felted wool, or a stand-up-collared example with the zipper trailing around the neckline. A fabric biker jacket and matching pants looked like a new kind of suit. And the zips that were slashed all over the Levi’s items (the latest examples of his ongoing partnership with the brand) added an edge.

This designer’s eye for a classic brand with which to collaborate is unerring. As well as Vanson, he settled on Barbour this time. The khaki oilskin had “cult” written all over it. And yet, in the end, this collection wasn’t vintage Watanabe. Perhaps the source material was just too finite, because the delightful disorientation he usually offers on the lethally familiar was not much in evidence here.

— Tim Blanks
Source: Men.Style.com

27-01-2007
V.I.P.

27-01-2007
V.I.P.

27-01-2007
V.I.P.

28-01-2007