How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2011
backstage pass

I feel very exhausted watching this. it's very heavy and quite a lot of "taken inspirations" of other collections. He should stick to the music biz.

02-10-2011
windowshopping

I think it's an okay start, not as bad as what some of you are making it.

02-10-2011
V.I.P.

Haha no one can stick the knife in like Armstrong (perhaps Hadley Freeman comes close second), my biggest problem with this collection is, like many mentioned, it looks so ill fitting on models with perfect bodies! So that says it all really..... you cant even focus on actual clothes, which are not best as it is. Although i like the shoes!

And it sure takes some major ***** to show your first collection in Paris, shame it didnt work out for him. Maybe he should have been more humble and showed somewhere else. I remember when Victoria Beckham showed in small presentations, personally narrating them at the NYFW, and after the good reception, the fashion folk asked; "Why aren't you showing in London, supporting British fashion?". And she said something like; "because i feel its out of my league at this point".

So if he was really serious, why not take few years (like Olens, Beckham.etc), and maybe first show in NY, then go for the big shows in Paris.

02-10-2011
When in doubt, wear red.

I feel very sorry for him actually. I may be too naive but I feel like because it's Kanye West people are slashing the collection even harder than if it was an average designer. Because yes thisis a pretty average collection, sligthly tacky maybe but we've seen worse and more uninspired this season. And it's his first one, maybe we should give him time before saying that he should stick to music. I don't think people should be stuck into one box, just because they're successful in one field. Plus it's not as if he designed this himself, I mean come on...
As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait before sentence his career as a fashion designer to death.

Hell on Heels

what what is this? when did this happen? how out of the loop am i? why is this so horrible?

tragic, actually

02-10-2011
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style Savvy View Post
Ofcourse the majority hates it, tFS is full of anti pop culture hipsters
Posted via Mobile Device
no no no, i don't hate kanye. i love him, in a way. i think he's a genius in everything he does music-related, but as far as pop culture goes, he's among the best. I just feel (and this applies to the likes of victoria beckham and all, nicola formichetti included) that designing clothes is something that Designers should do, you can't improvise yourself in this field - and it shows

02-10-2011
windowshopping

It's not as if Kanye West's lifelong dream was to be an open heart surgeon, and now he's requesting people to operate on. He likes fashion. And made a collection. It's not hurting anyone, some people here are just so bitter and pathetic..it's..pathetic.

He has the money to pursue this dream of his and he's not remotely hurting anyone in the process. The average person is always told to follow their dreams, push themselves to be better, etc, why do we not allow celebrities the same courtesy? It's ridiculous. If he wanted to make a quick buck this would've been made for H&M or some similar company. This is proof that he wants to grow as an artist and anyone with sincerity should be encouraged!

It's not a great collection. He needs more people close to him to give him honest criticism in this process. To me this looks like exactly what it is, 8 years in the making. It's like an excited kid who thinks he only has one chance to show the world, so every idea that's ever gone through his brain in 10 years made it onto the runway. Next season he needs to start over, think of one concise idea, and nail it.

I think in time he could make something great. I hope he doesn't stop trying.

02-10-2011
V.I.P.

what's the point of this collection, why is it shown in paris, and who is kanye west and why does he do fashion?

trendsetter

Whats the point if you are just going to produce a collection that isn't ground breaking in any way shape or form? Everything looks done before.

If he single handedly put this together i'd say fine, but he had a massive list of high profile collaborators....so, whats the point. Just a vanity project, I guess.

tfs star

ugh, terrible. does kanye not understand the concept of "spring/summer"?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocked View Post
ugh, terrible. does kanye not understand the concept of "spring/summer"?
To be fair these clothes are going to hit stores in January/February when it's still cold that's why there are furs and heavire fabrics. But then comes the other question: which stores are actually going to buy this collection?

windowshopping

wow.

he ripped a lot of people off.

02-10-2011
trendsetter

I'm so sick of these celebrities that sit in the front row of alot of fashion shows and think they can become a designer. Kanye stick to your music and leave the fashion to the experts.

02-10-2011
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeda View Post
It's not as if Kanye West's lifelong dream was to be an open heart surgeon, and now he's requesting people to operate on. He likes fashion. And made a collection. It's not hurting anyone, some people here are just so bitter and pathetic..it's..pathetic.

He has the money to pursue this dream of his and he's not remotely hurting anyone in the process. The average person is always told to follow their dreams, push themselves to be better, etc, why do we not allow celebrities the same courtesy? It's ridiculous. If he wanted to make a quick buck this would've been made for H&M or some similar company. This is proof that he wants to grow as an artist and anyone with sincerity should be encouraged!

It's not a great collection. He needs more people close to him to give him honest criticism in this process. To me this looks like exactly what it is, 8 years in the making. It's like an excited kid who thinks he only has one chance to show the world, so every idea that's ever gone through his brain in 10 years made it onto the runway. Next season he needs to start over, think of one concise idea, and nail it.

i think most people are pissed because this is Paris. Paris is like our Mecca you dont play around in Paris. You can pursue your hobbies in NY or LA fashion week but not Paris. This is a sign that Paris is burging in to celebrity culture. I actually wish he made a mens collection and put in some input from his personal style

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeda View Post

It's not about "not supporting" him to achieve his dreams. If it is his dream, just like rapping was his dream, he should approach it more seriously. It's not the rap game where you have to come out of the box rapping about how great you are. If he really wants to express himself in fashion, then DO IT WELL, just like he did when he decided to be a rapper. That's the point. What i love about the Olsens is that they decided to go step by step and make sure what their concept and their message was whereas Kanye, Beyonce, and others have really no idea what they really want to SAY in fashion. I think this is a product of being surrounded by too many stylists, too many people barking about their style to hone in and figure out what their voice really is outside of music.

TWITTER:
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, kanye, paris, s or s, west