How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-10-2011
tfs star

It's not that bad, seriously. There are some cute ideas but the fit is just embarrassingly awful. All and all it's average, a lot of hype and hot air. We've seen way way worse this season. And compared to other celebrity collections it's a blatant succes, remember Lyndsey's trainwreck, or House of Diarea?

01-10-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamine W View Post
It's not that bad, seriously. There are some cute ideas but the fit is just embarrassingly awful. All and all it's average, a lot of hype and hot air. We've seen way way worse this season. And compared to other celebrity collections it's a blatant succes, remember Lyndsey's trainwreck, or House of Diarea?
The Row is still there...

01-10-2011
backstage pass

it's terrible because it's not original and it's not even done well. nothing fits and it all looks so cheap. it's actually really tame but rather boring than what i was expecting (i expected something out there and frankly gimmicky-- that would have been more interesting).

i don't think (or maybe i'm in the wrong) that anyone is taking him seriously.. except himself. if he wants to be a designer, he needs a vision that is his (which he has for his music though sometimes it's a basic copy of other artist's work).

and come on, i think most of the members here know or have a well enough eye for fashion that saying because someone dislikes a collection is a "hater" is kind of insulting.

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
This is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. If no one knew it was designed by Kanye it would probably be getting some faint praise for not being run-of-the-mill.
I agree, it certainly not worse than other shows this season, his biggest mistake was to not have well-made clothes. I could forgive some of the design if it were at least well constructed.

I think he was a little pretentious to think that he could show this in Paris, if this had been in NYFW I think people wouldn't bash as much. I think people had high expectations since it's being shown in Paris and he didn't live up to that.

I do however love that coral dress on Jourdan with the zippers

Last edited by fantastical; 01-10-2011 at 06:39 PM.
01-10-2011
Blood On The Leaves

Quote:

Today the official show invites to the first Kanye West fashion show have been send out. It looks like the collection will be called ‘Dw Kanye West’. At this point we can only assume that ‘Dw’ is a hint as his mother, Donda West, but cannot confirm that at this point. We are very curious to see the first collection, which Kanye West supposedly created in collaboration with Louise Goldin and Riccardo Tisci from Givenchy.
HIGHSNOBIETY

01-10-2011
backstage pass

Is it wrong that when I saw the pictures on NowFashion, and still didn't know it was Kanye West, that I was actually intrigued...more intrigued than the majority of crap I've seen this season. I really like this, save for some complete garbage and disasters, it is kinda good...

01-10-2011
backstage pass

The whole collection looks sloppy--the tailoring is just off. Having said that, I actually saw quite a few pieces that I would definitely wear, and the shoes are awesome. I like the concept and I can see what he was going for (Givenchy-esque streetwear?) but it needed some heavy editing.

It should NOT have been shown in Paris. Not to say that it's bad, but this is a New York caliber debut collection...and I'm sure Kanye thought he was ~too good for New York. I'm hoping the reviews will take his ridiculous ego down a notch.

Also, it does look like FW.

He has a long way to go but it's definitely not as bad as everyone here is making it out to be. But I'm sure people were wanting him to fail.

01-10-2011
Meg
inspired contemplation

I agree his ego needs to be taken down a notch. Not as bad as I was expecting but not great either. I can't help but feel he doesn't have a perspective to offer on womenswear. Some of the knit pieces are interesting but it doesn't blow me away. It's way too chunky in some outfits with loads of heavy layers and some of the looks are quite derivative. So it will be interesting to see what he can offer in the next round.

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

i like the shark hood. that seems familiar. has that been done before?

5 years ago he was obsessed with his skeleton hoodie.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
but it isnt original... every designer he has probably worn in the past year is in this collection. Alexander Wang, Celine, Calvin Klein, Balenciaga, and Balmain are all referenced a little too much. Plus, unless his intention was to make the models legs all look bigger, the pants fit horribly

ill take this over Mugler though
i understand what you're saying completely- but if people want to go off that one argument- NOTHING in fashion is completely original. even john galliano was referencing his work to dior archives throughout his reign at CD- i don't think formichetti's stuff is original. there are so many labels who borrow things from one another. it's all about perception in my mind- what these designers are inspired by is what makes things interesting- i knew where kanye would direct his taste level toward, but he still put his own twist on it; which i admire. your points are valid & it's still season one- im just wondering how much time will be devoted & how much progression we'll see. im not sure that kanye understands the monster that fashion has become upon being much more globalized. we shall see though.

agree about the fur look on anais too! i also loved the salmon/pinkish dress on jourdan.

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

OH come its not that bad , some of it is actually good lol , im surprised , I like this better than Alexander Wang or Isabal Marant lol.

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

Kanye has a thing for Phoebe Philo , and it shows , those leather flares , slit pants , colors , its quite influenced by Celine haha, but its NOT bad , considering its his first collection . It beats all the celeb collections i have seen in all the years. House of Dereon need to take notes hhaah.

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

To the person who said Alexander Wang is original HAHAHAHA PLEASE , he has bastardized Helmut Lang's designs like no other from the late 90s early 2000s.

01-10-2011
windowshopping

For me to like a collection I need something new and fresh, not a show based in hypes and trends.

Kanye did just that.

01-10-2011
V.I.P.

The fitting makes this look far worse than it is and the styling is dodgy in parts...but for a first attempt, it's not horrendous.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, kanye, paris, s or s, west