Kanye West X Adidas Originals F/W 2015.16 New York - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-02-2015
V.I.P.

Lol, horror

trendsetter

When will someone tell him no and stop this insanity? Anna needs fired from Vogue for her continuing support of this circus.

13-02-2015
backstage pass

Quote:
Kanye West is probably the most polarizing personality in popular culture at the moment. That Grammys ceremony said it all: the strongest musical performances of the night undermined by the *******ry that would deny another artist his well-deserved moment in the spotlight. West's collaboration with Adidas launched tonight in a similar storm of conflicted emotion. "I'm here to crack the pavement," his fierce voice-over announced. "I want to create something better for you." But a show that started this willfully late in a schedule as dense as New York's spoke to a certain insensitivity. Was it perfectionism? Or was it simply the event-oriented consciousness of a musician who would scarcely stage a concert with the understanding that his audience has another performance to attend in an hour? That's an ongoing situation with West. Ardent fans will always find a reason to cut him slack. Genius has its reasons.

Still, transplant that genius into a context where its muscles are called on to flex in a more conventional way and different criteria come into play. When West sets himself up to be judged as a designer, he becomes a more familiar, more ordinary creature. It took 18 months to make this collection of sportswear happen. He staged it with the Italian performance artist Vanessa Beecroft, whose ability to strip back everything to its purest form was something he related to. There were certainly enough flesh-toned body stockings to convey the notion of the pared-back-to-nothingness that is a Beecroft trademark. And for the show, 50 models of all shapes and sizes advanced in the serried military ranks that are another Beecroft signature in time to the sonorous electronic chords that are a staple of West's latest sound.

That military aspect was key. West said the collection had come together in the shadow of the London riots, but they were a good few years ago, so maybe it was more an echo of those events that sparked the dystopian subtext of his collection. In a curious way, it did connect with the pessimistic tone of the men's collections we just saw in London—all of it, from the distressed knits to the backpacks to the conspicuous exhaustion of some of the models (do you think they were told to yawn?), suggesting a ragtag army on its rims. The mix of savagery and sweetness in West's recent musical output means it's tempting to assume there is some kind of internal conflict raging in him. That would certainly account for his provocative public persona. It was that suggestion of conflict that gave some spine to this collaboration with Adidas: a protective toughness, a body-conscious severity that made the clothes more than a simple accessory to the footwear that was the predictable focus of the whole event. Even so, it will be the Yeezy Boosts that snare the spotlight. Justin Bieber was backstage in a flash, laying claim to a pair.
Tim Blanks
style

13-02-2015
fashion insider

^ Why that man even gets payed for his hollow nonsense is beyond me. Afraid they revoke your clique-membership? This is the definition of tiptoeing around an opinion. Jeeez.

Last edited by Vitamine W; 13-02-2015 at 10:16 AM.
13-02-2015
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel View Post
style
I was so disappointed in this Style.com review. It literally had no opinion, like Tim Blanks was afraid to say what he really thought.

13-02-2015
trendsetter

This is such a joke, it really hurts my eyes.

13-02-2015
V.I.P.

And people actually dislocated themselves from the comfort of their homes and bought theater tickets to see... this. There's something so very wrong with the world...

13-02-2015
V.I.P.

makes me sad that people like anna and tim support this mess. it makes fashion a joke.

trendsetter

The fashion world's attitude towards Kanye as a designer is an attitude a mother has towards her son whose terrible at football.. too afraid to hurt his feelings and kill his dreams so they support and root for him despite knowing the fact that he can't design/put together a substantial collection for sh*t.

fashion insider

Thanks rebel for the article.

I've always respected Tim as one of the very few and observant in an industry full of sheep for speaking his mind-- and his dissatisfaction with a collection, even when they were industry icons like Gaultier and Galliano. This review-- I get that maybe it's possible he genuinely liked it, but it's more a review of the presentation really, with only a couple of sentences about the clothes-- so I'm not getting the impression he thought much of the clothes. Yeah, I also get the impression Tim's skirting the issue of reviewing a non-existence collection of clothes, and whatever actual clothing was there, was a weak joke. Strip away the presentation, and the clothes are stockings and military surplus pieces.

Tim's smarter and better than this. His should have been the voice of reason and called out this crap as it is: Subpar Emperor's new clothes.

13-02-2015
fashion insider

This was tragic. It's funny how they (specially Kim) celebrate that ridiculous and awful collection . Just go home and forget the fashion world.

trendsetter

Sigh.

First, let me commend Kanye on his cast of models. This is probably the most diverse show we will see all season.

Second, I'd like to commend him on continuing to try his hands at fashion. I actually think his Yeezy Boost sneakers are pretty cool. I'd wear them but I wouldn't spend $350 on them. Maybe $150.

Third, the collection is basic beyond epic proportions. As a new designer you have to say something. What is this collection saying? It lacks true creativity and originality. There is no vision. I don't connect. I don't see the story. What reason do I have to want to actually go out and buy any of this, be it designed by Kanye West or Jane Doe? I'm not moved.

I don't want to say he should stop trying because I'm not a dream killer but he should enlist people (like us, here at TFS) who are going to give it to him straight.

Overall, This was a missed opportunity and I pretty much agree with all the sentiments expressed in this thread.

Might I add that this is coming from one of his biggest fans.

Oh and one more thing, the antics that ensued prior to the show that are being reported (if true), having to wait outside for a half hour post the show start time, being seated in the dark and a crying baby is just not what fashion editors want to deal with during the busiest time of their year. Get it together man.

13-02-2015
windowshopping

Here is Robin Givhan's review, which seems a little more honest:

NYFW: What Kanye West gets right about fashion, and what he gets wrong

What she also talks about is the current movement in menswear. I mean, just look at a brand like Chapter whom she mentions. When you see what they are doing, you can really understand how uninspired, poorly-designed and executed Kanye' garbage is.

13-02-2015
trendsetter

^Thanks for sharing that link. Robin's review is the best and most honest review I've read so far. Style's review was a non-review and WWD kinda sorta touched on the collection but not really.

13-02-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceVixen009 View Post
The fashion world's attitude towards Kanye as a designer is an attitude a mother has towards her son whose terrible at football.. too afraid to hurt his feelings and kill his dreams so they support and root for him despite knowing the fact that he can't design/put together a substantial collection for sh*t.
Thankfully the real luxury investors like LVMH or Kering or Renzo Rosso are the exception. They're the only ones who didn't give in to the hype and drink the kool-aid, despite Kanye talking about how much he desperately tried to get an investment from them so that he can make the leather jogging pants he's always wanted to make (I'm just mildly paraphrasing what he's said before.)

Thus, Kanye has both bashed these conglomerates yet continues to attend many of their fashion shows.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
adidas, f or w, kanye, originals, west, york