How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2015
V.I.P.

Katie Hillier & Luella Bartley Launch Own Label
Quote:
Katie Hillier and Luella Bartley have announced the launch of their own collaborative luxury brand called Hillier Bartley, following the closure of Marc by Marc Jacobs last week where they held the positions of creative director and womenswear design director respectively.

The new label comprises ready-to-wear, bags and accessories and, despite the news of Marc by Marc Jacobs only prevailing last week, the debut collection for autumn/winter 2015 has already been created.

"Luella and I have always worked together in different ways, now we are finally putting all our experience into making something that's a reflection of us, of what we want to wear," Hillier said this morning. "I'm really proud of what we've made - the craftsmanship, attention to detail and design. It's been a real labour of love and I am really looking forward to seeing women we admire carrying our bags and wearing our clothes."

Said to be inspired by classic English references, the Hillier Bartley collection uses "velvet, silk, merino wool and shearling across tailoring, dresses and separates," with the clothing made in the UK and the leather bags crafted in Italy.

"Hillier Bartley is a very personal project which Katie and I have been working on for years," revealed Bartley. "It is a culmination of everything I have learnt as a designer and a woman and is purely and defiantly about the clothes and fabrics. We have also looked at the women we admire, what we would want to wear and the inspirations that have been close to us for ages. It's ultimate heroine lies somewhere between Ian McCulloch and Katherine Hepburn. It's about a woman our age, indie by heart, rakish and irreverent by nature, who is maturing into refinement and naturalness."
vogue.co.uk

we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems

31-03-2015
V.I.P.

let's hope it is not as tragic as everything they've done for mbmj....i couldn't stand that whole look they tried to create but i used to love luella's own label

I am eager to see what they can muster. Their first M by MJ collection together was really good.

V.I.P.

Love the description of the clothes, looking forward to this, I love Luella and have missed seeing what she does, I don't consider Marc by Marc representative of her work, maybe it was but it was still someone else's line.

fashion icon

Sounds like they new MBMJ was a sinking ship and started making arrangements...

Who knows. Maybe it's being backed by Duffy who figured its better to start fresh than drag MBMJ on...

31-03-2015
tfs star

this gives me fuel, i remember seeing those 'african' prints luella did when i first discovered fashion. they still resonate with me, i dont think i can recall a print from a fashion line so clearly! especially one thats 10 years old!!!

so psyched for this new development and for them!!!!

backstage pass

Wow they reacted very quickly. I'd like to see what they have in store.

rising star

This also makes me super curious about what their original intents at MBMJ were. Were they always going to multitask between the two brands, or is this some super quick new development now that MBMJ is sort of a bust?

02-04-2015
flaunt the imperfection

well...what choice did they have really?
i expect this to be really personal...
and by that i mean completely unrelateable...

Last edited by softgrey; 02-04-2015 at 11:52 PM.
05-04-2015
V.I.P.

Good news for both of them. Personally I really admire both of them.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bartley, hillier, katie, label, launch, luella