Lanvin F/W 11.12 Paris - Page 9 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
19-02-2017
V.I.P.

FC stepping up. Uploading more HQ shows!

vogue.co.uk

V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

#Resist

These dresses look good enough to eat.

21-02-2017
V.I.P.

I feel a certain taste staying on this site. People share positive views about Guerlain, Natasha Poly and high society. The content seems being withdrawn from the current conversation of the same topic. Just like staying still, not moving anywhere.

Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricciao View Post
I feel a certain taste staying on this site. People share positive views about Guerlain, Natasha Poly and high society. The content seems being withdrawn from the current conversation of the same topic. Just like staying still, not moving anywhere.
I'm curious to hear you expand on this a bit more, as I think it's an intriguing observation.

I, too, would agree, if I am reading your comment correctly. In many ways, I almost feel as though this is part of the problem of fashion. We want it to look and feel as it did in it's "glory days" of the late 90's/early 00's. However, while that is not only impossible, it is a strange expectation. I, too, adore fashion from that particular period in time, and would even say it was objectively a much better time...I don't even think there's a debate, frankly. But, my problem is that I'm tired of everyone wanting to replicate, instead of break through to a new dialogue in which that same exciting spirit of that time is reinvigorated for the now. We all love those old models, for example, or the great photographers like Meisel, etc....but who is the next generation? I don't know. I don't think we've gotten there yet. People are too tied to that particular time in fashion, exasperated by #tbt, Instagram and social media which constantly remind us of this disparity between then and now. But what about what's next? That's the missing piece. I see people scrambling for see-now-buy-now, combining men's and women's shows, allowing customers to customize the product, social media gimmicks...but those are all extraneous and can be stripped away to reveal little substance at the core.

This Lanvin collection, for example, was stale to me the day it came out, and it still reads as pretty out of touch. The collection, especially the second half, is way too pretty, way too girly, and I see no passion here from Alber. This time period in fashion felt very much to exist in a vacuum with little relevance outside of itself.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 22-02-2017 at 01:59 PM.
22-02-2017
#Resist

What's not relevant about something beautiful and flattering to wear out to dinner? To me that is ultimately relevant.

22-02-2017
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
What's not relevant about something beautiful and flattering to wear out to dinner? To me that is ultimately relevant.
I think this is the age old debate about what is high fashion? What is just clothing? Alber has produced many, many collections and shows that feel like the epitome of high fashion - for example his shows from 2007 and 2008. There are fabulous clothes there but there's also something there that goes beyond just that...there's an energy, an idea, and mood, bubbling up from within and hard to put my finger on. That's high fashion.

There will always be a place for beautiful and flattering clothes to wear to dinner - that's inarguable - but - and this is a huge problem I have with so many collections now - is that if that's all you're going to offer, then keep it in the showroom, keep it on the wholesale level. There's too much noise now for there to not be some kind of discernment about what is valuable to show and what deserves for people to pay attention to, and what can exist comfortably without the fanfare or a big show and media attention. That's obviously a subjective thing, and a bigger conversation since everyone's taste differs. But my point ultimately being, that that "golden era" of fashion felt like (almost) every collection was imperative, thoughtful and worthy of attention - good or bad. Many of those shows feel as though we would really have missed out collectively if they had never been shown. Would anyone be sad if this particular Lanvin collection had never been presented? I don't think so....there just isn't an impact here that I know I got from, say, Alber's Fall/Winter 2007 collection for Lanvin.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 22-02-2017 at 02:11 PM.
22-02-2017
#Resist

He could and did put on many good shows, but ultimately IMO (and I think his as well), clothes are about the individual woman and facilitating her life, her elegance, and the way she feels about herself. His clothes are for a woman who already has an identity. Without Alber working, I see nothing else like him in the marketplace. Shows twice a year are great and all, but for me, this is a real-life concern. Art and entertainment are everywhere. Where can I find something I really want for my closet?

22-02-2017
fashion icon

It's a very beautiful collection and like most of Alber's work, it's very timeless but it's really hard for me to look at it in such a nostalgic way...

When looking at Alber's collections from 2011 to his last, it's not really hard to understand why the sales dropped. This collection in all it beauty is 99.9% of eveningwear. This is not relevant to people's lives when you want your brand to be bigger.

In a era where people buys according to what they saw on Vogue.com, it can be a bit difficult to project yourself in Lanvin's clothes. Yes, in the shops, they were very beautiful separates and daily-life approved clothes but this feels kinda "disconnected" to reality.

When you compare Lanvin to Chanel for example, many people will choose Chanel because while Luxurious, Chanel clothes are never precious. There's an easy, a level of sophistication that is less obvious. Lanvin is very precious and you need to be perfectly done to do those clothes justice.

Lanvin was known lately as a cocktail dress brand...And that hasn't been always the case.

I hope that Alber will return to a more down-to-earth fashion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, lanvin, paris