How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2004
slightly dizzy

Please don't read this if you have a weak stomach... A little info on astrakhan fur, taken from an anti-fur web site:

"For years the fur industry has told the world that karakul lamb furs - also known as broadtail, astrakhan and Persian Lamb - are simply bi-products of the meat industry. It also claimed that the most sort after pelts - those, sickeningly, taken from unborn lambs - were collected as a result of naturally occurring, spontaneous sheep abortions.

It will hardly come as a surprise to anyone who has listened to the fur trade’s spin over the years that a recent investigation by the Humane Society of the United States has found the truth of the matter to be somewhat different.

Karakul is the name of the breed of sheep whose lambs have this much sought-after pelt. They are able to survive in extremes of great heat and cold and may well be the oldest of all domesticated sheep breeds. The historic motherland of karakul fur production is Uzbekistan and it is also produced throughout Central Asia, Afghanistan and Namibia. Karakul sheep are capable of reproducing throughout the year and are artificially inseminated from sheep that are matched to produce the various desired colours. The exact date and time of insemination is recorded to ensure the most opportune time of slaughter for sheep destined to carry their last lamb.

The skins of the newborn lambs fetch a good price but it is the skins of foetal lambs that are worth far more, over double that of newborns. Karakul fur is highly coveted and is very popular in the fashion industry at the moment. At 30 days before natural birth the skin is very smooth and can be used for expensive handbags, hats, gloves and even swimsuits. At 10 to 15 days before natural birth the fur is silky, flat and lightweight with a wavy texture and a luminous sheen. That from newborn lambs of 1 to 3 days old is tightly curled and glossy. The value drops significantly once these curls begin to unfold.

The female sheep has between 3 and 5 lambs during her life, all bar her last are taken away from her, terrified and barely able to even stand, within a few days of birth to be slaughtered. According to independent research, karakuls possess a strong flocking instinct and are very protective and attentive mothers so the distress that this must cause the mother is unimaginable. After slaughter and skinning the tiny lamb bodies are simply thrown away, making a lie to them being a bi-product of the meat industry.

The following draws from the HSUS investigators’ first hand report of the killing of the mother sheep, it is not easy reading. The end to the ewe’s last pregnancy is barbaric. She is hauled into the killing room, pushed to the floor and held down on her back. Her throat will then be slit, there is no pre-stunning. A deeper cut to her neck follows before her head is twisted off. A couple of minutes later her headless body is placed on a cradle like structure and the vigorous movements in the sheep’s uterus from the thrashing unborn lamb continue. Once this is no longer visible the sheep is shackled, hoisted into the air and skinned. The uterus is then ripped open and the dead or dying foetus removed.
Around 4 million karakul lamb skins are used each year in the fashion industry, as many pregnant sheep are also killed the death toll to provide these is much higher. Most designers who use fur also use karakul lamb but some who would not use fur still use karakul believing it to be no different to using leather or suede, quoting the “bi-product of the meat industry” argument. Undoubtedly many consumers have been duped into believing this too.

Since the events of September 11, the market for karakul fur has drastically reduced as the US has stopped buying products from that part of the world, but this is only temporary. Before much longer the notoriously fickle and shallow fashion industry will be demanding karakul again and turning a blind eye not only to the cruelty inherent in its production but also to its source. The slaughter of these farmed animals is every bit as cruel, grotesque and inexcusable as that of any other animal killed for its fur."

Astrakhan fur IS very pretty, though.

08-03-2004
tfs star

this is the type of reason that i always admire fur from afar, but never wear or buy it.

08-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by pearsandapples@Mar 9th, 2004 - 12:26 am
this is the type of reason that i always admire fur from afar, but never wear or buy it.
me as well.. hard to feel good wearing fur,
even if i've tried

it really made me feel as if i was carrying the animal..
furs are heavy and choke me

thanks for the great information tott
i've also learned how to spell this with an h

08-03-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 8th, 2004 - 10:30 pm
thanks for the great information tott
My pleasure!

I'm neither pro- nor anti-fur, but I feel that we as consumers have a responsability to be aware of what we're buying.

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by tott@Mar 9th, 2004 - 12:44 am
I'm neither pro- nor anti-fur, but I feel that we as consumers have a responsability to be aware of what we're buying.
i completly agree,
still -being honest- esthetically i like fur and some women
look real great wearing it.
Since i choke with fur i have no choice but to
avoid wearing it.. safetty first

maybe if i didnt choke i could wear fur,
this i'll never find out though ...

08-03-2004
gem
front row

I'm kinda divided over the fur issue. The only bit that REALLY bothers me is when the head and tail are still attached!

08-03-2004
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Mar 8th, 2004 - 5:50 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 8th, 2004 - 5:50 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tott@Mar 9th, 2004 - 12:44 am
i completly agree,
still -being honest- esthetically i like fur and some women
look real great wearing it.
Since i choke with fur i have no choice but to
avoid wearing it.. safetty first

maybe if i didnt choke i could wear fur,
this i'll never find out though ... [/b][/quote]
yup... visually, i think fur is lovely... but i just can't ever imagine wearing it... and the lack of ethics behind the industry is also appauling..

08-03-2004
V.I.P.

Nice , never been big for Lanvin, btut his is quiet ncie.

flaunt the imperfection..

i liked my version better...when they just shave the lamb and eat the meat...this is disgusting...thank god my agnes b coat is fake!!!

thanks for the info tott

08-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Mar 8th, 2004 - 3:42 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 8th, 2004 - 3:42 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by pearsandapples@Mar 8th, 2004 - 11:38 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
Quote:
@Mar 8th, 2004 - 4:36 pm
* isn't this* what we call-tibetan/mongolian lamb?

it's like mongolian lamb, only sheared, i believe...i have a faux fur coat like this from agnes b.

i think it's the same thing...*

oh... i see how it would be sheared.... would it be similar to a persian lambs wool if it wasn't sheared?
one thing i know is that is not shreaded fur,
it comes naturally like this...

we should check a fur directory.. but anyway we call this astrakan [/b][/quote]
lena---sheared is the same thing as shaved...

haha...language barrier...

12-03-2004
etre soi-meme

from reuters

Quote:
LANVIN'S BOUDOIR ENCOUNTER

Alber Elbaz added depth to his sweetly romantic vision at Lanvin, juxtaposing boudoir staples like rippling silk negliges with military-style men's coats to hint at illicit encounters.

A model posed under a Murano glass chandelier as a young man peeled off her coat, then the outer layer of her black chiffon dress, to leave her standing in a plain black velvet shift with pale pink satin ribbon straps.

A similar transformation was operated on a short dress gathered in a billowing curtain at the back. With a snap of a button, it unfurled into a simple long train.

Boxy gray flannel coats, some with shoulder tabs, contrasted with loose evening dresses in frayed strips that looped around the body. A black velvet man's dressing down, meanwhile, was worn as a coat with a diamond brooch.

It is this sense of low-key refinement that has made Elbaz a favorite with young Hollywood stars like Liv Tyler (news) and Chloe Sevigny. With British style icon Kate Moss sitting in the front row, it is safe to bet Lanvin's fan base will continue to grow.

04-09-2011
Alluring

This collection is simply glorious. Probably the most delicious, sublime and gorgeous deliver of beauty and femininity from Alber

Are there any HQ's from this show, by the way?

04-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ http://www.stylebistro.com/runway/La...Week+Fall+2004

Zoom in on the image(s), right click and add the image into a new tab and voila..your HQ picture.

04-09-2011
Alluring

^Thank you so much! I finally got the full view of the white dress on Dewi

23-03-2013
Alluring

Full show

It's official, this is one breathtaking and gorgeous collection, and I think one of the very best Alber ever did. Absolutely stunning from the beginning to the end, there's no outfit I wouldn't adore. Love the fur coat & white dress look on Dewi, plus these transformational pieces are fantastic. It's all so brilliant.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, f or w, lanvin, paris