Lauren Conrad Collaborating with Kohl's - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-09-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofbliss View Post
She couldn't continue the brand because her deal with Viacom/MTV (who were financing her line) was that they would finance it for 2 years and help her get started,then she would own the brand. They did finance it for 2 years, they made the major decisions (fabrics, price points, etc), and then the two years were over. She probably realized that now that she was in charge and would be financially accountable, she'd not only have to find new backers to invest/help her finance the line, but also find a way to lower the price point and be able to work with more fabrics, etc. She always hinted that she was limited by MTV.

She'll be guest judging on ANTM tomorrow and will be presenting at the VH1 Divas show with Whitney on Thursday.
Yeah she was very limited by MTV. I think it was smart of her to put her line on hiatus to re-do it. She said she wanted to use better fabrics and make her boutique line cheaper. She had to take time off to find new financial backers and look for new factories and such. She is really disappointing me with her lack of fashion related events this week though. I really hope she goes to Philip Lim, Nanette Lepore or Anna Sui tomorrow, keeping my fingers cross she goes to at least ONE show tomorrow.

15-09-2009
we could have had it all

I don't think Lauren is passionate about fashion design. I don't think its a career that she's interested in pursuing long term. Prior to "The Hills" and the major blast of exposure that the show provided her, both she and Whitney stated that they were more interested in working behind the scenes at shows/styling. I think we'll see her get back to that eventually. She's milking her name recognition at the moment - can't blame her for that.

Last edited by couturecandystor; 15-09-2009 at 11:12 PM.
16-09-2009
trendsetter

I dont know how people can say MTV/Viacom 'limited' her??? Surely thats backwards logic. They gave her the spring board to start a real brand....and I think if she had been more design savvy, interested in pushing forward, and lowered the price points (or gave better designs for the money) then the label would have continued.

Sounds like she had the best starting point anyone could ask for, but she got lazy and didnt want to put in the design effort/find other financial backers. I find it hard to believe SHE couldn't make it work if she wanted to. I mean, think about how many people in america/globally watch the hills, her audience is potentially huge. & people (mainly girls) that watch the hills will want to 'buy into' the lauren conrad thing if they can. I think she just didnt know her consumer, and priced things too high. Women (25 yrs and above) will pay £1500 for a Victoria Beckham dress, because of the cut, fit and material, but the same woman wouldnt necessarily buy a lauren conrad outfit. Especially not if you can buy exactly the same thing for 1/5 of the price in forever 21.

Im not knocking lauren, but i think for someone in her position she isnt as talented as we'd all like to think...and she is an opportunist.

& its laughable to think she will go into 'styling, and helping out behind the scenes'. She might do it for a tv show, but she certainly wouldnt do a real job...why would she when she can make revenue from so many other less tedious avenues.

One final point.....why ISNT she at fashion week more?? I dont get that!

V.I.P.

It boggles the mind how some of are assuming Lauren is not passionate enough about fashion, designing, is lazy, etc., etc. You must know her personally.The girl can't win. She's either out too much or if she doesn't attend fashion week this year, she's a talentless hack/has been.

Her first line sold well, but imo might have been too expensive for her target audience, i.e The Hills fans. Collaborating with Kohl's makes perfect sense. She can design a line that appeals to her aesthetic, and financially sound for her fans.

Last edited by Aoedele; 16-09-2009 at 10:42 AM.
16-09-2009
we could have had it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionturnip View Post
& its laughable to think she will go into 'styling, and helping out behind the scenes'. She might do it for a tv show, but she certainly wouldnt do a real job...why would she when she can make revenue from so many other less tedious avenues.
I think its just as laughable to just assume she'll have those less tedious avenues available to her in the less immediate future, unless she wants to turn herself into Paris Hilton, hawking hair extensions and canned champagne.

Last edited by kimair; 18-09-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: from star style thread

17-09-2009
front row

I am also excited to see it in person. I wonder if it is at stores now since its online?

18-09-2009
fashion icon

These pics of Lauren are in the October In Style Magazine. Both outfits are from her Kohl'sline.

The dress will retail for $50.The sweater comes with the belt and will be available in November for $60.

18-09-2009
tfs star

^ Awesome!! Thanks for posting, I adore both pieces!

18-09-2009
V.I.P.

loladonna, dont forget to post the website where you found the images, or your post will be removed.

rising star

who keeps giving these people fashion lines, book deals, etc?
sometimes i just feel if we ignored these 'reality stars' they would eventually go away..

18-09-2009
fashion icon

Her lines look good! Im loving her flora pieces especially the tops.

18-09-2009
fashion icon

The pics I posted were from laurenconradlovers.Sorry!

19-09-2009
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I'm going back home to Iowa next month and will have to drop in to check out the line in person. Always easier to get to the places I want in the Midwest, rather than in LA

19-09-2009
V.I.P.

This stuff is still too expensive esp for kohls

19-09-2009
V.I.P.

2-page spread of her collection on 17 mag w/ Whitney on the cover. I prefer her original line to this one but I feel she is doing this for experience and financial rewards.

There are some cute stuffs but I would need to see them in person...

hillsfreak.blogspot.com

This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collaborating, conrad, kohl, lauren