How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-08-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
And that poor dog...I wish people would stop putting clothes on their pets.
hmm right, the pic is very cute but ..on an ethics side you are right AlexN

28-08-2005
backstage pass

prefer Baby Dior.

28-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
especially nouveaux rich doesnt find it 'non-moral' to spent, they are not exactly socially/politically sensitive, so what more guilt free than spending on your child?

for most of them exessive spending is part of a lifestyle they've always longed it's a lifetime goal, actually they are trying to have even more money to keep spending on obvious luxe for others to see.

let them spend as much as they can afford... doesnt bother me too much
its just that this is a completly different 'reality' than most of us live in

what bothers me is when low or medium income individuals slave for designer labels.. thats a different issue

*statistics say that right after 9.11 luxe clients got into a temporary 'guilt' syndrome and they cut on buying too many luxury items for themselves.. still they spended much more on luxury items for their kids..
I thought we were talking about the "little marc" line, Lena....

28-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_daka
well, as selfish as this might sound, if I ever had kids they would be wearing "little gap" and "little adidas" not "little Marc"..... I'll save the money and buy myself a suit.. :p

I guess for stars it's fun to be able to waste money on Marc Jacobs clothing for their kids.. but I don't get it

however, with stars becoming younger and younger in age in movies now.. maybe they'll start making more lines just for those famous kids in movies!
I'll be getting mine "little wal-mart" haha

Now, Where did I put my Couture?

28-08-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoulxqueen

I'll be getting mine "little wal-mart" haha

Now, Where did I put my Couture?

haha, fashion elite! people there probably enjoyed putting work into those clothes than Marc did anyway!

28-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
hmm right, the pic is very cute but ..on an ethics side you are right AlexN
Btw, there are dogs who actually need clothes in certain weather. Sight hounds, for example, have very little body fat, so if people want to walk their dogs in the winter, or take them camping in cold weather, they really do need protection. You can get the same type of high-performance stuff that say, mountain-climbers wear, for dogs.

Some dogs (of the same long-haired breed, for example, and even from the same breeder) are also more sensitive to the cold than others, so you could put one in a sweater so two dogs could be equally comfortable on a snowy walk.

28-08-2005
scenester

It's nice to know that he is having a Kids Range...
but It's too expensive for me to buy for a toddler... I will rather buy BabyGap :p

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
no my kid is going to think he/she is a little sailor on a ship!!!! I will take him/her on a rowing boat with me. On a loch.
Marvelous!!!

31-08-2005
front row

Quote:
not too many moms and dads here at tFS but the idea sounds quite cool (...)

Quote:
Maybe eventually we can do our mouse shoes for kids."

This I would love Not too excited about the sound of these basics but would like to see…Thanks for the info

Just wanted to add my 2 cents about the children’s designer wear issue as I’m quite fed-up w/many of the views in this thread (sadly also the mentality here in Holland -> this is v. different in France, Spain etc.)

Many children’s 'designer' labels like baby Dior, Kenzo etc. are priced in the range of the nicer 'boutique brands' – certainly not cheap but far from the $700 sweater & other extreme examples mentioned in this thread...

There is also a large offer of old season clothing at outlets etc. and it is certainly possible to dress your child in good quality 'labels' without spending a fortune…Finally, you can easily resell well cared for brand name clothing & recup part of the cost (and with all the wear & tear these clothes will hold up MUCH better than generic 'cheap' brands)

So, apart from the fact that I love to shop for my daughter & get great pleasure from seeing her well dressed - imo good quality key pieces are also much better value for money

On a different note: while I love to dress up my little girl I think my mom was even more enthusiastic w/me -> I was dressed in smocked dresses over /homemade slips which she embroidered with ornate little initials & accessorized w/ matching hats & little parasols

31-08-2005
rising star

I don't see anything wrong with buying designer clothing for children - however, with a lot of pieces that are shown, they are so casual and basic that they look just like any other piece of clothing out there.

however, if you got a special piece for your child for certain events, etc. I could understand that. however, normal jeans, and shirts from Dolce & Gabbana for kids, etc.. I just don't get it

although, that's just my personal opinion if you've got the money to buy designer clothing for children, go for it!

31-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
I know i have often thought about that Lena - for example if someone like madonna buys a missoni coat it must just be like me buying one from topshop. Relative to the overall wealth its nothing...
More like you buying lunch :p

Quote:
but I wonder if there is a line where, no matter the relative wealth of the customer, its too much for an item of clothing. Or does morality have no place in a 'market'?
My thoughts exactly. Every time I think of something disturbing like that the word "immoral" springs into my mind. I do realise of course, that this a relative emotion. Technically, we don't NEED designer clothes either and could give our money to charity instead. I guess it's the LEVELS at which such spending occurs are what's scary.

31-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:

On a different note: while I love to dress up my little girl I think my mom was even more enthusiastic w/me -> I was dressed in smocked dresses over /homemade slips which she embroidered with ornate little initials & accessorized w/ matching hats & little parasols
sounds adorable!

31-08-2005
flaunt the imperfection

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ad.php?t=31200

here you go guys...
i've created this thread in an effort to keep this one on topic since it's clear that certain people really seem to want to talk about the morality and ethics of designer clothing for kids...

so here is a place for it...

31-08-2005
a dim capacity for wings

thanks softele (that's a german version of softie )

31-08-2005
flaunt the imperfection

cool...you're welcome anna...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jacobs, marc