How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
i have noticed that childrens clothes used to be designed for children but nowadays childrens clothes seem mainly to be shrunken adult clothes. I think thats a shame....

I used to love all the liitle jumpsuits and knitted outfits you got for children - and smock dresses for girls with patent shoes and, stilista, I loved the shetland jumpers!!!! You sound like a cool looking little girl! LOL
haha thanks!

I agree that childrenswear is just tiny versions of adult wear (even underwear ) I suppose it's cheaper to get it all manufactured in the same places in the same styles and fabrics, but it's horrible. I hate seeing mother/daughter dressed identically in the latest trend.

Bring back the knee-high socks, T-Bar shoes, smocked dresses and pleated skirts for kids

26-08-2005
Stitch:the Hand

oh sorry.

No...I just think children ought to be given back that fantasy element in clothes. I don't know why but it seems to have gone away a bit.

26-08-2005
backstage pass

^^ I agree, Scott, but I think the fantasty element has gone in all aspects of childrens lives. 6 year olds seem to be little adults now and I believe a lot of this has to do with the way they dress.

26-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
scott, in my tiny little book, kids deserve brand new, vibe free clothes
You make a really interesting point about vibes, Lena. Probably a christening gown is enough serious vintage for a little kid ...

The other thing is, few kids can be trusted with precious vintage. I'm eating at the moment, so won't go into detail

Btw, my little brother can actually remember wearing the clothes we all thought were so adorable. Apparently he was teased by the other kids, and claims to be scarred for life. We lived in the rural South at the time ... not what you might call a fashion incubator.

26-08-2005
Day Dreaming

Helena I would have to agree with you. I still love to dress my daughter in beautiful dress with patent maryjanes. I love the tunics and for babies the jumpers.

26-08-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilista
^^ I agree, Scott, but I think the fantasty element has gone in all aspects of childrens lives. 6 year olds seem to be little adults now and I believe a lot of this has to do with the way they dress.
yes stylista, all the 'innocence' seems gone from children wear, i guess its a society thing as well as a parents attitude

i tried to dress up my sweet godchild in smock dresses and T-bar shoes and she totally hates it, so i had to stop it or i was going to fall out of favor..
she just wants to be dressed like the boys.. so 'comme les garcons'

26-08-2005
backstage pass

^^ That's funny Lena I often think my child would be bullied because I would make her be so old-fashioned and un-modern. I'm sure she'd turn 12 and run away from home to wear mini skirts and have a pierced belly button!

26-08-2005
yes

i think its more to do with the parents than the kids
even before they can talk, parents seem to be throwing brands on them
i mean you see those babies in prams in nike trainers which they will grow out of in 2 weeks time, babies with pierced ears, no wonder all of these big brands are catering for the tots now, its such easy money to be made. all of these parent emotions allow splurges on their little angels

OT: at harrods at the moment in the window display there is this AWFUL AWFUL child couture brand it is quite horrifying to see

26-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny
There's maybe a gap in the market there Scott. You're right about old kids clothes. I looked cool when I was a toddler. It's been all downhill since then....
lmao

26-08-2005
backstage pass

It's soooooo cute!!

26-08-2005
V.I.P.

i just remember as a little kid i loved sparkly things. my niece loves her disney costumes and her plastic glass slippers. i used to think all that girly stuff was magical!

for boys..i'd like marc to tackle an upated sailor suit! probably couldn't get away with the little stocking...

26-08-2005
etre soi-meme

got my godchild a tiara and some 'high heel' slippers, she almost throw them to my face.. at least she loves make up toys

26-08-2005
yes

^ well..........children (as adults) can be very unpredictable

i've always wanted to see a kid in a mini-sized haute couture dress.....can you imagine

26-08-2005
Stitch:the Hand

I love the little boy skirts,myself? I wish I was able to wear one when I was that age. Hm.

26-08-2005
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I love the little boy skirts,myself? I wish I was able to wear one when I was that age. Hm.
well now that you're a big boy, you could still wear a skirt if u really wanted to.....
and some heels too perhaps?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jacobs, marc