Louis Vuitton Cruise 2017 Rio de Janeiro - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
30-05-2016
V.I.P.

^At Balenciaga he designed, at Vuitton he and MAS just style.

30-05-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip_ian curtis View Post
I just saw pieces of his vintage Balenciaga at a vintage shop, and I can't help how crap all this is compared to those pieces. It's sad that these, and resort in general, are not really made for anyone anymore. It's just another attention-seeking show. His old Balenciaga pieces at least felt comfortable and flattering, and I could vision a look around a pair of pants or a dress. This not so much, as I feel any piece from his Vuitton would just consume the wearer and leave little room for personal interpretation. Though in all fairness, this is the problem with most runway fashions these days.
I don't think that it's fair to compare his Vuitton to his Balenciaga at that level.
Balenciaga was like his own brand. IMO, it was the ultimate brand of the 00's. He was in charge of everything and it wasn't about luxury. Yes, the craftmanship and the innovation on some of the runway pieces were "Couture" but it was never about luxury. It was about fashion...

His Vuitton is not that different from Marc's one. Vuitton is not about style and fashion. It is about status and wealth.
What i liked the most about his first few collections at Vuitton was how "Balenciaga" they were. It was about fashion, a certain type of woman, a certain type of clothes she will live in.

This is like you said, just for the show, just for the status.

At Vuitton, he seems like the contrary of what we though he was. At Balenciaga, he never compromised, celebrities were banned (remember Kanye?), the silhouette was always long and lean, high heels were almost everytime required.

He has changed (and it's good to change) but for the first time, it seems like the vision is lacking. It's focus but it doesn't have a vision.

31-05-2016
fashion icon

^ You know, it's interesting what you mentioned with the celebrities. I remember reading an article back in 2010 that Marc Jacobs didn't really like celebrities front row at his own show that weren't in his circle of friends (the whole fiasco with Madonna calling half an hour before the show and saying she wants to go; they couldn't say no) and Ghesquiere also didn't like them, and yet Vuitton is always about the global celebrities no matter who's at the helm. Really makes one realize the kinds of compromise the designers have to deal with each day and agree to things they aren't comfortable with or that suit their vision at a big brand.

backstage pass

i never really was a fan of Nicolas, (remember the C3PO boots and wetsuit material dresses?) but his helm at LV now is certainly more approachable. I particularly like the campaign with Freja, the collaborations with Karl Lagerfeld, Rei Kawakubo etc.

It certainly made LV younger and more edgy vs the really ugly Jacobs" designs.

This Brazilian collection is a continuation of the manga chic, no love, but neither do i find it THAT ugly as well.

31-05-2016
fashion elite

This is really a case of ditch the models and the fugly clothes and just enjoy the extraordinary landscape.

Clearly nowadays fashion shows in itself are totally irrelevant, it's all just an excuse to invite an entourage of "fashion influencers" to travel with the label, in exchange for those million of social media posts about the great hotels and the amazing luxury parties the label can throw in beautiful locations. Brand awareness is the goal, as long as those hand stitched logos on napkins end up on Instagram, it does not matter one jot that the clothes are totally ****.

31-05-2016
backstage pass

I thought we were moving away from this look, the "asymmetric pieced together and color blocked sportswear" looks, it's so 2012-13 :/ I liked his first few collections but now that he's moved into this kind of look that started last spring, I'm not a fan.

31-05-2016
fashion insider

Tacky, unwearable madness.

01-06-2016
backstage pass

Do these designers hit their head when they get kicked to the curb by their previous boss? It's strange how several good designers are suddenly and continuously awful the second they get their new job

01-06-2016
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
Do these designers hit their head when they get kicked to the curb by their previous boss? It's strange how several good designers are suddenly and continuously awful the second they get their new job
He was already doing very hideous clothes at Balenciaga by the time they kicked him out though...

02-06-2016
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by YohjiAddict View Post
He was already doing very hideous clothes at Balenciaga by the time they kicked him out though...
yea but this is on another level of horrid. His last collections for balenciaga at least had a few tolerable things, but this is jaw-droppingly hideous

V.I.P.

a LV sports collection, just what we needed

03-06-2016
V.I.P.

As tragic as this is, I think Dior cruise takes home the prize. I can at least stomach this.

03-06-2016
V.I.P.

you'd think that doing Vuitton wouldn't be that hard. stay on trend (just read what the trend forecasts say), make classy daywear and pretty cocktail dresses that go with whatever the accessories design team are putting out (let's be honest about who's in charge here...) and the rest works by itself.

Vuitton is putting so much money into their advertising/VIP outfitting, the clothes don't need to be 'special' anymore. editors take their total looks and put them verbatim into their magazines, as long as the ad money is good, they'll do it.

those boots... i wouldn't know what to do with them. they're basically untranslatable.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, cruise, janeiro, louis, resort, rio, vuitton