How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
Some Like It Hot

Louis Vuitton Discontinuing Takashi Murakami Collection
Quote:
LOUIS VUITTON's multi-coloured Takashi Murakami monogram will no longer grace its bags and accessories, since the company has revealed it will discontinue the Multicolore line later this year. The collaboration between the artist and the French house - unveiled in 2003 - was the brainchild of former Vuitton creative director Marc Jacobs, but it seems that his successor, Nicolas Ghesquiere, will not take the colourful print forward.

A store associate at Louis Vuitton's Saks Fifth Avenue shop-in-shop told WWD that the collection is "leaving stores at the end of July, forever," while a representative for the brand said it preferred to "look forward".

Much copied by counterfeiters since its launch, the Murakami print was worn by celebrities the world over - with stars including Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson embracing the bright version of the company's signature monogram. Murakami was by no means the only artist enlisted by Jacobs to enliven the permanent offering, with Stephen Sprouse, Richard Prince and Yayoi Kusama also lending their creative eye to the label's bags and accessories.

Ghesquiere, it seems, is focused on returning to the classic print for his bag offering, while playing with shape and proportion. His first collection featured the company's classic trunks in miniature form, and the latest offering boasted a new graphic take on the original monogram, enlarging elements of the print in monochrome and red.
*Vogue.co.uk

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

Thank God. Awful trash.

1 Week Ago
front row

It was already tacky in 2003. The graffiti was better than that! I mean, if Paris Hilton and Jessica Simpson are the best celebs you could have mentionned in the article about a fashion line, it says everything about that line!

(Don't do too much things at Vuitton Nicolas, i want you to take Chanel after Karl)

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

It actually think this sucks. The multicolor line, while perhaps mildly tacky, is actually kind of cool. I was actually hoping NG would do it in a Petite Malle, but I guess not. Better buy the pieces they have left before they're gone...

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Its a good thing, hopefully 10 years plus down the line they will become collectors item since the hideous fakes shall all be done by then

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TianCouture View Post
It actually think this sucks. The multicolor line, while perhaps mildly tacky, is actually kind of cool. I was actually hoping NG would do it in a Petite Malle, but I guess not. Better buy the pieces they have left before they're gone...
So I kinda hate this who collection because they're just so associated with tacky people but I could totally get on board with a murakami petite malle

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

This wasn't Ghesquiere's decision for sure

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

... This line was still in production? Well I won't miss it.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Do people still buy items from that line? It gives me flashbacks to the trashy early 2000s.

It would be cool to see the petite malle in the cherry blossom print though.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I didn't know it was still in production, either. Even the fakers aren't wearing theirs no mo.

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidee View Post
Do people still buy items from that line? It gives me flashbacks to the trashy early 2000s.
If the early-2000s were trashy to you, then these last several years of high fashion must be the equivalent of Dante's the Ninth Circle of Hell. The amount of trashiness that gets passed for high fashion, Haute Couture and "models" these days are redefining the definition of trash. We are at the lowest of the low right now.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

^Thanks for your opinion.

1 Week Ago
scenester

It would make the world a better place but I highley doubt that they will stop to fake it.

tfs star

It's tacky right now but that was the "It" bag. I love the nostalgia of it but it doesn't really fit in right now with where fashion is.

Pretty sure there's going to be a time within the next few years, maybe later but people will be wanting one.

6 Days Ago
barcode

I'm honestly a little bit sad about this. Tacky or not I'll always have an affection for the multicolore logo canvas because it remains to this day one of the most brilliant re-imaginings of an icon that I've ever seen, and frankly, it was due for a rework. It's a shame to see it retired instead of revamped.

But hey, for any of those "trashy 2000s" types who were lucky enough to snag a real one, they can take comfort in the fact that the resale value will eventually be pretty impressive.

Last edited by Spike413; 6 Days Ago at 04:36 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collection, discontinuing, louis, murakami, takashi, vuitton