Louis Vuitton F/W 2018.19 Paris - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
06-03-2018
fashion icon

I'll comment on the collection later, I just wanted to say finally some shoes that aren't boots or flats!

scenester

Now this is THE best collection of the season!

I love everything about it. This notion of bourgeois dressing with a twist that he has been developing since his inception at LV is at its best here.

The draped halter tops with beadworks, embroidered fur coat on Lily Stewart, all the leather, cropped jackets and skirtsuits are exactly what I'd wear in real life. They are fashion-forward without being gimmicky. Sophisticated with a touch of wit, which is a quality I used to associate with someone like Miuccia Prada, not Ghesquiere.

I'll be right back watching the show again. Thank you Ghesquiere, you just left the dull F/W 2018 on a high note.

Last edited by Ken Doll Jenner; 06-03-2018 at 11:20 PM.
06-03-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steddycam91 View Post
I really, really loved it.

It kind of reminds me of his F/W 2008 collection for Balenciaga, not necessary in look but in overall vibe...there's a sort of sharp, dark elegance around the whole thing.
Yes, yes, yes! I'm getting the same F/W 2008 Balenciaga vibe and I love it. Probably my favorite LV by Nicolas collection ever.

07-03-2018
http://fashionworldstuff.

My first thoughts were that some looks looking little bit chanel-esque but i like the collection, not bad at all but the shoes are horrible.

07-03-2018
V.I.P.

Its decent but nothing exciting, basically a riff of early 60s daywear with some dolman midi dresses and puppy collars to switch it up, reminds me of a mix between Chanel and MBMJ.

07-03-2018
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by liaa View Post
A little better than the former collections.
I'm actually surprised, i opened this thread to bash them (i usually really hate this brand) but it's actually ok.
same

some looks are OK some looks are just awful and impossible to wear aka will never be produced thanks but no thanks

07-03-2018
rising star

I actually prefer his other collections. But I get the appreciation for this one. It's way more wearable than his others. The colors are nice, and it definitely gave me some Balenciaga Fall 2008 vibes. Even the shoes.

Nicolas is way too cool for Chanel. Since this unlikely pairing of brands and designers are becoming a trend it wlll probably happen lol. I would like to see NIcolas at Dior though. I think he could inject some needed life at CD.

Last edited by charmedp321; 07-03-2018 at 09:46 AM.
07-03-2018
Fat Karl

I really, really don’t like Ghesquiere’s LV.

The more I see from him here at this house, the less I care. It looks so desperate. What’s missing for me is any sense of ease. Everything looks overwrought and overworked. Nothing looks easy. And it’s very one-note, too. Every collection has been the same techy, futuristic Ye-Ye style. Too sweet and girly. The accessories are also abysmal. So tricky and gimmicky.

It’s a total snooze! And the colossal sets every season only end up exacerbating the shortcomings of the collections. Everything gets lost in the fanfare.

His best work at Balenciaga (which was the bulk of his long tenure, frankly) was always innovative and complex...but he knew that to design and present such challenging clothes meant that casting needed to be confident and glamorous, hair needed to be a simple knotted bun on ponytail, faces scrubbed bare of makeup, shoes needed to be sexy, and the set was always as bare-bones as it could be, styling had to be believable, and he never showed a single bag on the runway (until 2009). Those choices made for magic.

There’s no magic at Ghesquiere’s LV for me at all.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 07-03-2018 at 02:38 PM.

07-03-2018
V.I.P.

It's his best collection since the early Dior days for me. It's the type of collection you see 1 piece from and can reference the season because there's such an identity to the whole season.

Enjoyable to me, the skirt and coat overload was heaven.

09-03-2018
V.I.P.

This is his best in recent seasons.
Think he excelled in Balenciaga because his ideas were pure and simple. He may have 2-3 ideas and then he executed around the ideas.
Here at Vuitton, he seems to be fighting with stuff from all directions. Perhaps there were just too many ideas and too many products to show. It's overwhelming. I wish he could distill a bit more.

10-03-2018
backstage pass

Louis Vuitton has lacked a strong proposition as of late more and this on the other hand reminded me of that first collection that was so instantly likeable and fresh. I loved the bulky jackets and the harness dresses they reminded me of those simpler days at Balenciaga that really cemented his status as the tastemaker of the aughts, it feels organic and somehow more believable than his past shows for this brand. Hopefully he keeps delivering shows of this calibre instead of the gimmicky trickstery we've grown tired of.

11-03-2018
V.I.P.

I saw the actual show and it was really boring. He is using these big elaborate MJ Louis Vuitton settings but the clothes don't have larger than life message and depth that MJ"s work at LV did. Ironically NG's LV looks a lot like MJ's defunct diffusion line but in better fabrics.

11-03-2018
V.I.P.

One thing about the set tho. Nicolas doesn’t necessarly has anything to do with it. Showing at the Louvre is a pure executive decision that he has to manage with. LVMH is putting a lot of money at The Louvre so, part of the deal is to able to «*enjoy*» the place.
The Set this season was build in a area that has never been open to the public I believe.

Chanel is a bit similar even if the relation with the Grand Palais was initiated by Karl.

So Nicolas may decide to use a set at his advantage but doing a show at The Louvre is a strategy of power from the Suits.

11-03-2018
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
One thing about the set tho. Nicolas doesn’t necessarly has anything to do with it. Showing at the Louvre is a pure executive decision that he has to manage with. LVMH is putting a lot of money at The Louvre so, part of the deal is to able to «*enjoy*» the place.
The Set this season was build in a area that has never been open to the public I believe.

Chanel is a bit similar even if the relation with the Grand Palais was initiated by Karl.

So Nicolas may decide to use a set at his advantage but doing a show at The Louvre is a strategy of power from the Suits.
All the better reason to be more ambitious. Karl takes full advantage of the Grand Palais. The clothes and the set work in perfect unison, one doesn't outshine the other. They get their money worth, and it pays off commercially. LV is being overshadowed by the Louvre. The collections aren't worthy of such a spectacular venue. It's a complete mismatch, with that being said there is no immediate impact. The only way to sell this collection is to have it forced down our throats in magazines with purchased covers and head to toe advertorials. Chanel will be remembered because it was an incredible collection with a beautiful set. LV will be remembered when? In 3 months when the clothes start showing up in magazines? Am I wrong here?

V.I.P.

^^
No no, you are not wrong.
I think that Nicolas’s fashion works better in an intimate setting or at least, the idea of intimacy. His great collections at Vuitton had that. The resort in Japan or even the spring 2017 that was in the boutique Place Vendôme were great. The resort at Palms Springs also had that intimacy. I hated the Rio collection and I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by the first collection shown at the Louvre. The current spring collection, while shown at the Louvre was in an intimate set.

With Chanel it’s different because no matter if we love, hate or find that the collection is not up to the set, the whole thing is coherent. The plastic collection isn’t my favorite but Karl’s vision is so clear that you couldn’t see the clothes being shown anywhere else.

Doing Louis Vuitton isn’t simple as we know. I’ve been told that the RTW and the leather bags are doing well so he must have the pressure to deliver more bags in leather, more bags in exotic skins, more separates but the thing is that he is not MJ. MJ’s clothes were a way to attract people and to give cachet to the brand. They sold a lot of monogram pieces and had a faithful clientele but the scales are different now.

I just feel like with this collection we kinda see the disconnect between the vision of the executives and the designer...Even if the designer has total creative control. Nicolas is not Galliano and the potential of Nicolas is at his highest when he doesn’t have to put a bag on every look. The reality is that having bags on the runway almost demand a certain pragmatism...

People are comparing it to the FW08 Balenciaga collection but i don’t see how because the Balenciaga woman at that time never carried a handbag on a runway.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, louis, paris, vuitton