How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-04-2013
backstage pass

^^^ This new Madonna don't care to put her all into anything anymore-- it's all such a lazy, cheap and sloppy effort these days for that quick cash grab with her. Check out all... 8 costumes at the exhibit here. JUst scroll down and you'll see all 8 looks: That's right-- 8 random looks they threw together in 30 seconds...

30-04-2013
Stitch:the Hand

phuel,arianne was actually the one who introduced madonna to a then very unknown olivier theyskens and we know how that turned out. like i said before,i don't dislike certain evolutions of her career but i do feel she gets too much credit. i personally prefer her ray of light period particularly that gothic side that came out of it but i just don't get everything else.....i never related much to anything outside her close relationship with gaultier.

30-04-2013
V.I.P.

The only period I really admired of Madonna's is the 82-85 period that Phuel describes so excellently. That's when she was blazing some trails. After that, her style (and she herself) became so self-conscious, with so much imitation (give up; you're NOT Marilyn Monroe) and so much narcissism, that it's all rather eye-rolling. [Barring "Ray of Light" which was, ahem, a brief, but flickering ray of light in an otherwise - for me - dim career]

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 30-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.
01-05-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlekindearrabal View Post
And just for the record, I don't think anyone can truly tell this woman what to do/wear. Hasn't anyone here ever heard of the concept of collaboration?
Well, apparently she takes fashion advice from Lola Maybe that's why her style is so sh*t these days...

Scott: I should add that I like Arianne's work as an editorial and film stylist, but I just don't feel she works well with Madonna. Just a personal observation, of course. Madonna in Theyskens, and that entire New Age Goth era came across phony to me-- like that's not really Madonna: Just like I think McQueen the man and Rei are visionaries and I'm blown away by their designs and their fashion vocabularies, but it's not my style, or for me, and I don't own anything of theirs. I know people will say Madonna's been phony her entire career, but the funky, soulful street urchin who ran with the Bboys and NYC artists is the essence of who she is to me. Her mixing street, rags, vintage with designer is what I loved about her style. So when Arianne puts Madonna in Goth, punkrock, cowboy... it just looks all wrong and costume-y to me. And maybe I'm just bias, but I prefer Lori's style to Arianne: Lori always came off effortlessly NYC-cool, while Arianne is more contrived LA-trendy.

I've always admired people who are/were able to put awesome looks together with little to no resources, and Madonna had that in spades way back when. Ridiculously expensive, or outlandish designer clothes doesn't give anyone style creds or make you a fashion icon... right, Kanye? Even everyday people in this era think that by dressing stupidly OTT, or pimping all the monograms and logos they can afford, then they'll be noticed and photographed, thus: famous. I despise fashion bloggers. I loved what Mulletproof said about the latest Givenchy offering when it first came out: clothes for street photo whores, which unfortunately in the current fashion climate, is what fashion seems to be all about.

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Well, apparently she takes fashion advice from Lola Maybe that's why her style is so sh*t these days...
Isn't so obvious though? But that's little ol' Madge having her Sunset Blvd moment, as you so succinctly put it.

backstage pass

^^^Definitely!

Yeah, I always see Lola as Arrested Development's Maeby, and Madonna as her clueless, youth-obsessed mother Lindsay desperately trying to keep up with the kids: Maeby telling her mom that she looks really good in a baby-tee with "SHE-MALE" written across the chest 'cause all the cool kids are wearing it is how I see Lola giving Madonna "advice" on fashion.

Having said that, her archive has/is being shamelessly plundered by the current crop of pop queens. Beyonce's ad for her current tour-- all thanks to Madonna-alumni Jonas & Bea Ackerlund is a complete rip off of Madonna's MTV Vogue performance and the reboot of her Marie Antoinette persona during the Re-Invention Tour.

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
^^^Definitely!

Yeah, I always see Lola as Arrested Development's Maeby, and Madonna as her clueless, youth-obsessed mother Lindsay desperately trying to keep up with the kids: Maeby telling her mom that she looks really good in a baby-tee with "SHE-MALE" written across the chest 'cause all the cool kids are wearing it is how I see Lola giving Madonna "advice" on fashion.
I haven't seen that show, but I can totally imagine their conversations going as you've described them

Quote:
Having said that, her archive has/is being shamelessly plundered by the current crop of pop queens. Beyonce's ad for her current tour-- all thanks to Madonna-alumni Jonas & Bea Ackerlund is a complete rip off of Madonna's MTV Vogue performance and the reboot of her Marie Antoinette persona during the Re-Invention Tour.
That Beyonce thing is so blatant but really, Marie Antoinette is such a popular reference that it could hardly only ever ascribed to Madonna. Although, to my eyes, she has done the appropiation way better.

I just think that Madonna's body of work is so strong, it can't help but be plundered by the current pop vixens. They're getting their life from it, and I bet Madonna is getting a kick out of it too, admiring the homages.

backstage pass

Maeby actually tells her mom that it's a cool designer pronounced "SHAMEL" like "CHANEL"-- it's not "She-Male". LOL

I love that Madonna's past collaborators are giving these new pop queens pretty much the same looks and concepts that they've already given Madonna. That Beyonce tour ad is hilarious: It's like she looted Madonna's past costumes and is wearing them all at once-- she even has her own Donna & Nicki.

I'd love to see Madonna's wardrobe around 82-85 in an exhibit, but I'm sure since they were her personal rags, and they're all gone now. After Lori left, Madonna's style lost me-- although I think the "Nothing Really Matters" video is sheer bliss and I only took interest whenever Gaultier would dress her-- those 2 will grow old together with him still dressing her when she's 99 years old.

06-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

all i know is this...

*every club kid in NYC was dressing like that in the years from 82-88...
before and after madonna did it...

and if you walk around NYC on the weekend now---around the lower east side especially...
you will see madonna wannabes all over the place...
the pointy toed ankle boots with buckles that everybody used to buy on w. 8th street are all over the place and you will even see girls with rags tied in their hair---
like madonna, or bananarama, or dexy's midnight runners, or the thompson twins...
it's a basic new wave look---
but madonna was never new wave---she just dressed like that cause it was cool...

i could go on...

madonna was the most mainstream, so she got the most credit...
but everyone was doing it...
and they are doing it again!!!

seriously---

thing is...
i am not even sure they are aware of what they are doing...
they are just buying stuff and wearing it...
they are too young to even know where it's being copied from...
it's the designers and the stylists that are bringing it back...
like the hats pushed back on their heads rather than pulled down over one eye...
and that sort of thing...

cah-razy!...

if you want to see madonnas's wardrobe from the 80's/90's...
you could just stop into topshop in NYC sometime...

Last edited by softgrey; 06-05-2013 at 01:18 PM.
06-05-2013
backstage pass

^^^ Oh yeah, kids are wearing that style again, it's here in Toronto as well babe...it's everywhere. The Duran Duran mini-trilby that everyone wore in the early 80s is back in full force as well. For kids, I think H&M and Urban Outfitters accessibility to instant vintage is making real vintage-hunting becoming obsolete.

Nothing beats that genuine, authentic ragtag-look from the early-80s That's why that TopShop thing doesn't look right to me-- kind of like when designers like Karl and Versace do "punk". It's all very superficial, shallow and "fashion". It's too clean and phony-- it's missing the grit and rawness. Old-skool Madonna did it right, to me. It was-- and always will be, in the details. Even watching these old videos of all the Madonna-wannabes on Youtube, 99% didn't get it right. I guess that's the difference between just being fashionable, and having style

09-05-2013
front row

excuse me but saying that she ripped off Lauper's look is blatantly ignorant.You seem to keep forgetting that Madonna was indeed an original NYC club kid of the era who,while hitting the big time,brought the whole aesthetic to the global limelight.As Littleathquakes stated they were merely contemporaries so it's not really surprising that their style backgrounds were similar.Long story short,as she herslelf said back in 1995 "'When I'm dead they'll finally kiss my ***" and that,i think,fits the debate over the measure of her fashion influence like a glove

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
exhibit, fashion, madonna