Maison Margiela Pre-Fall 2016 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-12-2015
V.I.P.

Maison Margiela Pre-Fall 2016

vogue

11-12-2015
front row

A disappointment.

11-12-2015
V.I.P.

There are some really nice pieces, but this brand is losing all its identity. It really feels like he's just trying to reestablish the John Galliano brand here. I mean this could sit between Prada and Bottega Veneta in a store, no one would ever think it's Margiela.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
11-12-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
It really feels like he's just trying to reestablish the John Galliano brand here. I mean this could sit between Prada and Bottega Veneta in a store, no one would ever think it's Margiela.
Not even I'd say. This could be Yigal AzrouŽl or Prabal Gurung. His comeback has been quite disappointing; It's in a tired state between his take on the 50's Couture Fashion and rudimentary Margiela's codes that anyone could work with. Anyway, this makes me think again that He was just too excited about the idea of coming back and took the very first chance He got.

11-12-2015
V.I.P.

MM6 was much stronger, and left a lasting impression on me. This is forgettable, especially coming from his amazing Spring collection

12-12-2015
front row

this is just 'more clothes'- and honestly, who needs those?

12-12-2015
backstage pass

But it's only a pre-fall collection and I think it's not even designed by John. You know, they have to sell something to survive. Still it's really weak and dissapointing.

12-12-2015
fashion insider

Not even taking into account if this has anything to do with Margiela at all, I am wondering what exactly is the bread and butter of the Galliano Maison Margiela that really keeps the business running? They have been trying to emphasize bags and shoes but those designed under Galliano's umbrella for the show collection are crazy expensive and more for the Anna Dello Russo's of the the fashion jet set to wear than the core customer that really buys into MMM. Oddly enough, I think you can really see a strong divide between the products designed by Galliano for the show collections and the commercial MMM collections that are still offered quietly for pre-season delivery (that still look very much like anything designed prior to Galliano's arrival).

12-12-2015
fashion elite

This could be a John Galliano for Vionnet or John Galliano for Lanvin collection.
It looks too mature, too ladylike for Margiela.

This collection is the best example of why i can't fully appreciate JG's work for Margiela. You can't clearly see that he has spent too much time in the bubble that was Avenue Montaigne, dressing princesses & first ladies. Margiela is not a fantasy brand and i really don't like that direction.

AND the big problem is that because it's John and because we love him we can't allow ourselves to be honest with his work. This is not Margiela, this is "Margiela-zed Galliano's clothes"...It's as superficial as doing a Slip biais cut dress with holes in it.

And those accessories are bad.
This collection shows that John is still very good but not at the right brand. His runway shows looks dated. At this point i really don't expect anything from him...maybe the menswear.

12-12-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
This is the point which I was trying to find the words to make! I agree entirely.

12-12-2015
fashion elite

This whole pairing is quickly going downhill for me. And the accessories are horrible, they look like something you can find on AliExpress.

backstage pass

So random....

I miss you Martin.

backstage pass

did a blind person do the styling by the way ? this looks like a random editorial for a boring fashion magazine from 2006....

Last edited by IloveDiorHomme; 12-12-2015 at 06:31 AM.
12-12-2015
trendsetter

This is so meh.

12-12-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
This could be a John Galliano for Vionnet or John Galliano for Lanvin collection.

This collection is the best example of why i can't fully appreciate JG's work for Margiela. You can't clearly see that he has spent too much time in the bubble that was Avenue Montaigne, dressing princesses & first ladies. Margiela is not a fantasy brand and i really don't like that direction.

AND the big problem is that because it's John and because we love him we can't allow ourselves to be honest with his work. This is not Margiela, this is "Margiela-zed Galliano's clothes"...It's as superficial as doing a Slip biais cut dress with holes in it.

And those accessories are bad.
This collection shows that John is still very good but not at the right brand. His runway shows looks dated. At this point i really don't expect anything from him...maybe the menswear.
This is exactly what I thought of Galliano's most recent S/S collection for Margiela. It's as if he is still stuck with the 'I-need-to-peddle-clothing-to-wealthy-old-women' Dior mindset, the one a lot of his later Dior collections seemed to be designed with. He's essentially received a fresh start at Margiela, so it's disappointing to see his work already appear so affected and unadventurous. There's even reference to the side-snap trousers from his S/S 2001 trailer park Dior collection in here, yet it lacks the same zest and wit that made his collections from that time pure magic.

As much as I admire John, this truly isn't much of anything on the greater scope of things.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2016, maison, margiela, prefall