Maison Margiela S/S 2017 Paris - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-09-2016
V.I.P.

Appart some nice details here and there, I'm not convinced by the whole thing...
It's an interesting theme, maybe not the easiest, but I think it could have looked far better with Galliano behind it, who usually never dispoints me
Besides, the casting was excellent, I really enjoyed it !

28-09-2016
front row

^What do you mean with Galliano behind it?

For me despite the whole is not really to my taste, there is no one at the time who tries to put so many ideas in its collections. the Margiela's trench becomes a dress, the scuba, Shakespeare (maybe?)...It's a rich treasure chest. And the accessories are more eye catching than ever!

28-09-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlimbo View Post
^What do you mean with Galliano behind it?

For me despite the whole is not really to my taste, there is no one at the time who tries to put so many ideas in its collections. the Margiela's trench becomes a dress, the scuba, Shakespeare (maybe?)...It's a rich treasure chest. And the accessories are more eye catching than ever!
totally agree on that
but wait
isn't it galliano anymore ??????
this is his signature though http://imgbox.com/kWutBdg5

28-09-2016
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemaud View Post
, but I think it could have looked far better with Galliano behind it
Maybe it is a translation problem, it seemed to me that you wanted to say that it would have been better if it had been made by Galliano.

Since he designed it, I was confuse lol

28-09-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlimbo View Post
Maybe it is a translation problem, it seemed to me that you wanted to say that it would have been better if it had been made by Galliano.

Since he designed it, I was confuse lol
ah, ok my english is rather bad haha

28-09-2016
front row

Mine is not that batter

28-09-2016
V.I.P.

As i've said many times before, the HORRENDOUS styling and hair/make-up takes away any value and creativity these clothes may have, and turns everything into a messy, cartoonish fanfare. It looks like a slightly upscale Meadham Kirchhoff.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
28-09-2016
fashion elite

I don't think i will ever like a runway show of Galliano at Margiela.
The clothes are great and it feels good to see something creative, wearable and rather exciting.
I just miss the idea of a woman behind it. Galliano is a great story teller but his story telling touched me when it was relatated to a certain idea of a woman rather than an abstract fantasy.

Sometimes i feel like people like it just because it's by Galliano and the completely forgot that it doesn't really says anything about Margiela. Is this the new Margiela woman or a Galliano's fantasy? Maybe Galliano sees the Margiela woman like a fantasy but for women who wears Margiela, i don't think it's effective.

What i like about Margiela menswear is how real and creative it is. The man is not forgot in the clothes and the concept.

I really like the clothes but it's beyond frustrating for me. Where is Margiela? And don't says to me it's in the references because it above all a spirit that changed the way women wanted to dress. Margiela redefined femininity, like Galliano but i don't see it A.N.Y.W.H.E.R.E.

28-09-2016
V.I.P.

The usual mishmash now which I can't make anything from it and don't expect anymore.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Galliano is a great story teller but his story telling touched me when it was relatated to a certain idea of a woman rather than an abstract fantasy.

Sometimes i feel like people like it just because it's by Galliano and the completely forgot that it doesn't really says anything about Margiela. Is this the new Margiela woman or a Galliano's fantasy? Maybe Galliano sees the Margiela woman like a fantasy but for women who wears Margiela, i don't think it's effective.

I'm a big fan of Margiela for years, esthetically and the spirit that goes along
John Galliano is one of my favorite designer, and it's not because he is famous, there are many designers famous that I dislike (I don't take your comment for myself but it made me want to write)
For sure he 's a great story teller and that's a reason why I love his work. I also love his aesthetic which is highly recognizable withouth being gemicky or repetitive. He's got that amazing ability to translate this themes after themes, always adding something new and exciting, and if not (it happened), the fact it looked that beautiful was enough for me to love his work, but this is a matter of taste

I love the old Margiela by Martin Margiela
and I love the new Margiela by Galliano
but yes, it's extremely different
and that's why I think your question
"Is this the new Margiela woman or a Galliano's fantasy?"
is a good one to me
because
Since he works for Margiela, I see more Galliano than Margiela, I see a little Margiela and a lot of Galliano, I don't mind it because I love his obsessions... i think he is true to Margiela a minimum but not enough. The explanation for me is that despite his amazing work for that house so far ( I just mean I loved all the collections), it has little to do with Margiela's original spirit and since the beginnning I thought it was an odd choice to hire Galliano who's is mainly all about extravaganza for a house that is mainly all about minimalism (as far as i know, sorry if i miss something)
But besides, it's rather challenging to mix such an odd combination and, minus this collection which looks too random, not margiela + not galliano + not imagination enough, I enjoyed all the collections of Galliano for Margiela
because I'm glad to see Galliano's imagery but also because it challenged him a lot to work for such a different aesthetic, the result was subtle, he really focused his signature on amazing details

sorry my text is not very cohesive, it's not my speciality and I'm french

Last edited by mariemaud; 28-09-2016 at 02:38 PM.
28-09-2016
V.I.P.

ps: I said bye to Martin's easthetic, and i miss it, and i sayed hello to galliano's new challenge, because it's exciting !

28-09-2016
fashion elite

I'm french too, don't worry...

The thing is that Margiela is not about minimalism at all. It's about decontrustion and a certain "Arte-Povera" fashion. Margiela's aesthetic is slightly perverse and sensual, with a lot of humor and was IMO free from all the conventions. Above all, Margiela was about the street and he elevated simple garnments.

He did minimalism at Hermes and his basics became iconic for a lot of people.

What you said is very coherent to what i said. People love it because it's by Galliano and it captures an energy that people missed from him in his latest Dior/Galliano's years. This has nothing to do with the 50's, la belle epoque or pasts Galliano's obsessions.

In a way, when you're saying it's challenging for him...I have to disagree because the deconstruction and the mix of things has always been part of Galliano's work. He is just doing what he used to do best in a new, more current way.
Even if he became quite bourgeois after 2006, this is a man who introduced tracksuits and chaps for Couture.

The real challenge for him is to aknowledge the Margiela woman (because she exist) and to an extend, the Margiela historic customer.
I love Galliano but i think this is a rather dated way to do fantasy.

He can do whatever he wants but he just has to do it the Margiela way.

Last edited by Lola701; 28-09-2016 at 03:06 PM.
28-09-2016
windowshopping

I still think that He is not good fit. Everything is halfway there. It's not minimalist or maximalist. It doesn't feel complete. I also hate that white sleek runway. I wonder how are their sales? The buzz has already died IMO.

28-09-2016
backstage pass

Seriously guys, this would be shown in a small fashion week in Asia, South America or wherever people would laugh about it... I am sick of people tryin' to find qualities in something that has no quality per se because the great John Galliano is behind it.

Yes; Galliano first collections for Margiela were "kinda" cool; the first ready to wear worked for me because he was still in control and respected a bit the minimalism of the brand. Now it's just an ugly colourful mess. The shoes, bags, hair-pieces, layering are tragic. Some garments may be well cut or interesting, but none of this is visible because of this messy styling.
After watching the video I felt I was at some Cosplay convention, seriously...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto View Post
I still think that He is not good fit. Everything is halfway there. It's not minimalist or maximalist. It doesn't feel complete. I also hate that white sleek runway. I wonder how are their sales? The buzz has already died IMO.
yes it's a forgettable in between, sadly

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2017, maison, margiela, paris, s or s