Maison Martin Margiela F/W 08.09 Paris - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2008
front row

This cowl-neck experimentation has been done several times before..it appears and disappears. I have a magazine from around 1994 (???) where a designer label named Gomme played w/th same idea...but, most of the pieces were done is shades of olive-drab and greens. I'm glad to see this silouette re-appear...but it will probably (again) be short-lived.

25-02-2008
backstage pass

i hate it

25-02-2008
V.I.P.

This collection makes me laugh!! In a good way!! The Smith, just realise what TDF stands for!! Btw, does anyone have picture of what the designer looks like?

25-02-2008
front row

I think the collars on some of these pieces can be folded over...to appear as less dramatic?? When folded over...they give more of an impression of an "exxagerated"...or "oversized" lapel. Experimentations with proportions are a recurring element in most of Margiela's present and past collections...such as the "Doll Series" collection...the multiple "oversized" collections...the "Flat" collection, etc etc.

In one of the pics...one of the models is wearing a pair of printed tights. Upon close examination...it looks like the outline of early Andy Warhol wearing sunglasses...surrounded by an audiece. Very interesting....Gaultier used the same "audience print" on jeans before..but then again....it should be of no surprise...Margiela worked for Gaultier many years ago.

25-02-2008
chaos reigns

I cant stand those collars a-la Lee McQueen just out of Central St Martins

25-02-2008
front row

MC Queen??...Margiela did this idea w/th collars wayyyyyy before mister "cosmeticly-improved and enhanced" Alex McQ. I actually have pictures of myself wearing the sweater I mentioned in an earlier post...but I don't know how to download pics on this site. I'm wearing the sweater as a top....and then....as a skirt. I bought the sweater (Margiela) in 1995/96.

25-02-2008
front row

25-02-2008
front row

i don't know if i particularly like this collection so much as appreciate it. can't hate on maison martin margiela... some of it actually is quite cool though.

25-02-2008
windowshopping

This is a stunning collection indeed!!

I like all the UNDEFINED pieces as the one-leg trouser, the rigid scarf, the net outfits and the loose sleeves. This type of not defined garments has always been part of Margiela's work and I see them as a representation of not only future fashion but future-future fashion...

Mixing of fabrics, prints and cuts seems to have no sense which is very zen-like. The orientation cuts are cool too.

25-02-2008
front row

Yes..the mix of fabrics and prints is cetrtainly very interesting. Margiela did a collection many years back...around 1995/96 ???...where most of the garments were made from antique silk-scarves....scarves that had been over-dyed, etc etc. The scarves were re-sewn and patch-worked together...knotted and twisted etc etc. in a very eclectic, non-chalant sort of way.

25-02-2008
slow death

amazing! please, mcqueen is not even in the same league as margiela...

25-02-2008
V.I.P.

i wonder who wears this ???

25-02-2008
front row

I agree...Margiela and Alex (the now slim) McQueeney can not be compared with one another. Alex is all about theatrics and putting on a "show"..like Galliano for Dior, etc etc. Too much though gets put into the makeup..the accessories..the music..the audience, etc etc. For me...I can do w/out the music and 3 ring-circus/carnival presentations.

MCQueeney is certainly very talented...but he certainly has a different esthetic/vision than Margiela. Margiela creates patterns of clothes that don't already pre-exist...he invents mostly new patterns for his collections...McQueen has not invented ant original pattern for anything. He just takes things that have already been made before...and over-embellishes them.

25-02-2008
front row

I have a few pieces that are simialar to this collection...and I would certainly wear almost the entire collection.....I would wear most of the jackets with no hesitation at all. I don't like clothes that are too easy to understand. Also...I'd rather wear something that makes other people afriad or intimidated by me..I like scaring people away...hahaha!!!!

25-02-2008
V.I.P.

no offense but this scares me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, f or w, maison, margiela, martin, paris