How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2009
i'm almost ready..

i love it! it's magical..
i want to see tilda swinton in this...imagine..
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/martin34.jpg

06-03-2009
fashion elite

MMM is always so incredible.

07-03-2009
God Save McQueen

if this was anyone but MMM, no one would be giving it the praise they are

07-03-2009
fashion insider

I'm going to go broke on some of these leathers, jackets and polka dots pieces....just gorgeous, cool, edgy outfits. I can't understand why Balmain gets all the adoration when it's MMM who's way ahead of most of the others in ideas.

Not crazy about the textured efforts though, too Gareth Pugh, and also as someone posted, Basso & Brooke. He was much more creative in his previous collections, more incredible concepts, eg. the melting coloured ice necklace.

07-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
if this was anyone but MMM, no one would be giving it the praise they are
So true.

07-03-2009
V.I.P.

same can be said for opposite reactions, reason why people won't even bother to show antagonism on marras or lutz haha. I guess the thickness of the thread determines the opinion of some..

fashion insider

I also cannot understand the hostility - the design and construction skills in many of MMM's pieces are IMPECCABLE. He isn't just about the outrageous conceptual approaches and artsy ideas, he is a master of tailoring, shapes, techniques, applying old-school to new ideas, and innovation in construction and materials.

Though I wouldn't question Marras and Lutz either. They are of a different character, but equally masterful in what they do. It's the gushing over designers like Giles, Rodarte, Galliano and Kane that has me perplexed

To each his/her own...

07-03-2009
scenester

Always a pleasant suprise
Margiela is almost always a refreshing twist to what has become a pretentious and expected season, full of what could be and what is trying to be. His collections stand apart from those who are expected to fulfill the desires of legions who think Marc Jacobs, Theyskens and Ghesquière are the standouts of design. The man makes his mark with his house and quietly steps back to see the market kneel to his vision. There are few who I have felt have made this mark. Yes I am old but no one has yet to parallel Montana, Mugler in vision and construction. The man is a genius and to any designer looking for inspiration it is Margiela and his inspiration Gaultier. Discuss, disseminate and go forth and multiply.

07-03-2009
scenester

I love MM,always have, but I do feel that this collection relies too much on visual effects and not enough on strong ideas.So much of it seems deja vu, the flesh coloured bodies, the Gareth Pugh-y shapes, the long leg short leg

07-03-2009
rising star

enjoying some if the simpler pieces. the black tops and skirts in the first half of the collection. but after martin's 20th last year, this collection has been leaving me a little cold. especially with pieces at the end with the flesh colours and spotted and veils. no responese to that. just... empty.

07-03-2009
PopWillEatItself

from style.com

PARIS, March 6, 2009

By Sarah Mower

If an "invisible" designer has finally dematerialized, will anyone actually be able to tell the difference? Such is the philosophical conundrum facing the many fans of Martin Margiela. Outside the company, no one knows anything about the whereabouts of one of modern fashion's greatest heroes, and the is-he, isn't-he retiring gossip that started a year ago has become one big snore. In the absence of any definitive corporate statement, the only test of whether Margiela is still in the house must be down to whether the inimitable dialogue of excellence, intellectual challenge, and wit is still there in his show. Safe, yet very sad to say, this time it was gone.

There have been many seasons when Margiela's collections have been lauded for being brilliant comings-together of thoughts, and many others when they've been rejected, panned, and found offensive. There have been none, however, where the work has been of so little consequence. The Margiela-isms seemed to be there, sort of: the tan bodysuits mimicking nakedness, the Perspex shoulder pads, the so-called "deconstructionist" cutouts, the leggings pulled over shoes, the grown-on collars worn as hoods, the tinselly boas. Yet all of it seemed to be done by rote, as if it had been pulled out of the label's back catalog, without any sense of a vivid intelligence pushing an idea toward new conclusions.

Often the end of Margiela's shows could feel like a cliff-hanger, where the audience would be left with a sick-thrilled sensation of wondering where, and how, his ideas could possibly manifest themselves. Later they always would, one way or another, and often in the collections of other designers many seasons later. The reason, for instance, that giant shoulder pads are "in" right now, this season, is that Margiela single-handedly pushed them way out there two years ago. His impact on fashion is vast, and now in its absence, a loss to be mourned, not just by loyal fans who are from now on looking for somewhere else to shop, but by an entire industry that has depended on Martin Margiela's genius contributions to drive fashion forward.

07-03-2009
Stitch:the Hand

so what exactly are you insinuating,there masquerade?? don't insult our intelligence by suggesting we're all just a bunch of disillusioned followers. if you actually had any idea,perhaps you would actually see that this is distinctly margiela. those attributes so eloquently pointed at by zazie,you think we're that blind not to see. and as for all of these stupid comparisons,i just don't get it. who on earth do you think started that....who influenced those designers of which already had those elements in his work already??? you see,margiela was already doing most of this stuff before people like B&B and gareth et al,were even entered in school. so you tell me who's blindly following somebody??

Last edited by Scott; 07-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
07-03-2009
vertebrae by vertebrae

Ok look, I love Gareth and wear his clothes all the time but I'm sorry.... I can't stand for people to say that the designers who have influenced HIM (Marigela, Owens, Miyake) are now being influenced by HIS designs... which were influenced by them... to begin with... ?!

and btw I totally agree with Scott's post above

07-03-2009
Geometric Discharge

Some lovely pieces.

07-03-2009
tfs star

when i see something like that i always wonder if we are still watching p-a-p or hc , or what ? amazing but in movie-kind way. not my taste.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, f or w, maison, margiela, martin, paris