How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-09-2008
backstage pass

i love the face covering of the models, it's deters attention to the clothes!! which is what we need!!! i love it

29-09-2008
backstage pass

hideous, as usual.
the Ring inspiration is so

29-09-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitLapinVegan View Post
not memorable? that was frankly one of the most unforgettable and impressively produced presentations that I have ever been to
The presentation may have been wonderful because you were there. But ultimately, the CLOTHING is not memorable. He's really just kind of "giving it all away" at first glance. It doesn't challenge the audience.

29-09-2008
barcode

I think the key to a successful look back at what you've done is that you improve upon it. While it's only recently that I've started playing closer attention to MMM, I can say that his work with the nude body stockings and angular exaggerated shoulders isn't more impressive than his recent collections based around those ideas have been.

Just my thoughts...

29-09-2008
& b

i think it's a nice little look back, but i expected much more. i really like the mini tribute to the aids t-shirt, and the walking cake...

Last edited by Alejandro; 29-09-2008 at 10:27 PM.
29-09-2008
front row

This collecton is entirely amazing....and, it certainly looks like a collection that presents many of the pieces that MMM has done througout his (or their) career.

I'm glad I've been following MMM since 1989. None of these pieces look alian or unfamiliar to me, therefore, I think it's a bit easier for me to understand, and remember.

Many of the pieces I see...I personally own, but done in different fabrics and also, different colors. I own the white sportcoat with the cigarette sleeves, done here in white...but mine is moreso a "tuxcedo" version...done in navy blue, with black satin lapels. It's dated on the label....from 1989.

The stocking-covered faces is also very ld-school Margiela. Most of the pieces from that perticular collection focused around the concept of super-imposing photographs of varying garments.

As far as the wigs... do own a "hair-necklace" and "hair-belt" from a previous collection...but the hair worn entirely covering the face is also very old-school Margiela. As far as the circular jackets...I own 2 pieces from that very familiar collection. I own a leather jacket that is shaped like a complete circle, but mine is done in more of a bomber-sttle leather jacket....and also, a sleeveless ribbed-sweater version. Anyway..enuff boasting and bragging, it's very un-couth, right??

Again...as far as this particular collection...it's entirely easy for me to understand. Maybe I understand the collection moreso than most others b/c I''ve been following Margiela since the beginng of his career???

29-09-2008
backstage pass

Very creative!!! But this collection kinda belongs to a fashion college.

fashion icon

Really impressive collection!

30-09-2008
fashion insider

I don't know what to make of this - it looks like he spent all his efforts designing the presentation rather than the clothes. I'm a fan of his past collections, but this rehash isn't doing much for me...

30-09-2008
rising star

very amateur
I don't know where to begin. This is the very essence of trying too hard.

Trying too hard to be shocking, trying too hard to be creative, trying too hard to be innovative... completely pretencious in my opinion, this show was very annoying. The wigs, the masks, the cameltoe- it was all too much. I like the general idea of the masks though, although did anyone else get a Viktor & Rolf flashback?

This general concept could have gone in a whole other, much better direction.

This was the one look I liked:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MARG25.jpg (22.2 KB, 6 views)

30-09-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by margielamike2004 View Post
This collecton is entirely amazing....and, it certainly looks like a collection that presents many of the pieces that MMM has done througout his (or their) career.

I'm glad I've been following MMM since 1989. None of these pieces look alian or unfamiliar to me, therefore, I think it's a bit easier for me to understand, and remember.

Many of the pieces I see...I personally own, but done in different fabrics and also, different colors. I own the white sportcoat with the cigarette sleeves, done here in white...but mine is moreso a "tuxcedo" version...done in navy blue, with black satin lapels. It's dated on the label....from 1989.

The stocking-covered faces is also very ld-school Margiela. Most of the pieces from that perticular collection focused around the concept of super-imposing photographs of varying garments.

As far as the wigs... do own a "hair-necklace" and "hair-belt" from a previous collection...but the hair worn entirely covering the face is also very old-school Margiela. As far as the circular jackets...I own 2 pieces from that very familiar collection. I own a leather jacket that is shaped like a complete circle, but mine is done in more of a bomber-sttle leather jacket....and also, a sleeveless ribbed-sweater version. Anyway..enuff boasting and bragging, it's very un-couth, right??

Again...as far as this particular collection...it's entirely easy for me to understand. Maybe I understand the collection moreso than most others b/c I''ve been following Margiela since the beginng of his career???
One shouldn't have had to follow him since the 1980s to understand his work. This is an entirely new collection and I shouldn't have to see his previous works to understand it. That's a little lazy on his part. He should design as if someone is just now discovering his work. I may not have fallen in love with many of the designers that I admire today if upon viewing their collections for the first time, I had to look at their previous one to comprehend it.

30-09-2008
front row

Style.com has an amazing review of this collection. I'm certainly not a journalist....they did a much better job than I ever could, even if I tried!!!

30-09-2008
front row

As far as anyone who is now a "newbie" to MMM...they're not the kind of people I would care to bother chatting with...it makes me wonder where the hell they've been living as far as serious fashion is concerned...but it's nice to see they finally crawled out from under their rock.

30-09-2008
V.I.P.

wow, what a collection...it's Margiela doing what Margiela does best. Bravo

barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by margielamike2004 View Post
As far as anyone who is now a "newbie" to MMM...they're not the kind of people I would care to bother chatting with...it makes me wonder where the hell they've been living as far as serious fashion is concerned...but it's nice to see they finally crawled out from under their rock.
That's a bit of a condescending attitude to take, a bit like the stereotype of the fashion world; elitist, rude and self important.

What is serious fashion anyway, and why should the fact that someone didn't care about Margiela until recently be a factor in deciding if they're interested in "serious" fashion?

As far as I'm concerned, fashion is only as serious as you make it.

And consider this, not everyone was even alive in 1989, let alone interested in fashion...which could explain why they haven't followed Margiela's entire career.

Last edited by Spike413; 30-09-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, maison, margiela, martin, paris, s or s