How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-10-2012
front row

I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS COLLECTION!!!!!!!!!!! Need to save for it! Luckily I have my birthday on the 15th of November! I'm gonna ask gift cards to h&m from EVERYBODY!!

07-10-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
from that vantage,i won't deny it but the menswear looks good. looks like something i would wear and wear proudly. but i still don't know...what looks good in a picture doesn't always translate to what looks good in my face,on my body and especially how it feels. and given those early looks that i last commented on,i still remain ambivalent about this.

i do like from a concept perspective that they included his infamous duvet coat but why the sam hell did they pair it with those horrid glittery leggings? ugh!
To be honest, I have my reservations about how well the pieces will turn out not just from a design perspective but also quality. The recent collections since Margiela left feels like 'diesel' and 'mass produced' to me, simply lacking the finesse and soul of the original and older Margiela items. Previously, esp artisanal, seams may not be perfect but they show what the brand stands for, now they are all too the same...h&m I can imagine would only be worse. But if it serves any purpose at all, it actually educates the younger generation the 'aesthetics' of the brand, although the education is somewhat lacking in depth...

08-10-2012
front row

i'm not really sure the point here is to educate the "younger generation" ... here in paris and i assume elsewhere, these collabs sell out the first day usually within few hours. those that stand in line at 4AM to get the "grail" items are definitely aware of who the designers are and most likely fans if not customers of the main line. what it does for the designer is give them free advertising through H&M's massive campaign budgets, this is especially enticing for MMM who has never done a single ad (which i must admit is a surprising commitment despite the buy-out). as far as the actual items on a design perspective, i think "veteran" margiela fans should rejoice they are re-visiting items from the archives. quality wise i've noticed through the lanvin & marni collabs which i got a few items: the fabric can be pretty decent as previously mentioned h&m tries to get the designer mills to produce the fabric (this is only true for a small selection of items i've noticed, you need to check the tags for country of origin) what is a real let down is of course the construction and quality control. i've also noticed the footwear is a real no-no quality&comfort wise. the fear is for me, that mainline MMM items have themselves gone down in quality with fewer items even produced in italy, i can only imagine the H&M collab, but at least the pricing will be affordable..

08-10-2012
scenester

Really liking the collection, as a short person (5ft1") I'm not sure most of the pieces will suit me though.
Rather strangely attracted to the leggings though.

09-10-2012
V.I.P.

Vogue UK's Facebook

09-10-2012
V.I.P.

Vogue UK

09-10-2012
trendsetter

WOW, the pieces from Elle China are amazing!

09-10-2012
front row

The collection looks just as I thought, black and oversize... Not really my style ( and I have been a big fan of almost all the previuos collections) but I have to say that there's something about those mirror leggins that is gonna make me want them really badly... The rest not so much...

10-10-2012
front row

Couple of pics from the lookbook. LOVING IT!

(source fashionweek.costume.fi)

front row

I found couple more (source fashionweek.costume.fi)

Hell on Heels

^ finally a frontal (sort of) look at the bottom dress! i need it bad.

10-10-2012
backstage pass

this is much more extreme than i thought it'd be, i wonder what kind of crowd this collection will attract

the menswear leaves me cold, i never really cared for mmm menswear anyway so that was expected but i might actually go and check out the womenswear

11-10-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i like that long patchwork silk dress(interpreted from one of my favorite collections,spring 92,in which he recycled silk head scarves from various periods) and one of margiela's signature men's pieces,that waistcoat made of belts.

i dunno,that's what i wonder as well. who is going to buy this? it seems a little more niche and esoteric in spirit than the typical garb people gravitate toward at H&M. i mean for the devoted original margiela fans who never got to experience the earliest of his work,this will give a piece of that,if just in spirit. but i'll be curious if it ultimately creates the same kind of frenzy CdG and the like have.

but this kind of ticks me off though....this is NOTHING like what we're getting in any of the mainlines and it just questions if they can utilize the old spirit of margiela in this context,why the flipping hell can they not bring a bit of that back into the primary maison?? and if publicity is what they are after,don't you think the heads are kind of misrepresenting the work they're actually doing? that feels a bit dishonest and that's not something i would have ever associated with MMM.

Last edited by Scott; 11-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

The mens collection ain't bad...luving the camel coat and the bag!

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

that patchwork dress is looking really great!

EVERYTHING is shaping up well! even those oversized jeans look much better worn than just lying down (where it just looked... like huge jeans...)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin