How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2012
V.I.P.

I saw and tried camel coat and jacket with disco-scarf in H&M showroom month ago. Coat is excellent! Definitely have to buy it. It worths of his price! Jacket was not my cup of tea... but have to say every piece of MMM collection is better than anything from previous special collections for H&M!
And ladies... shoes are perfect. I saw one czech actress how she tried flat boots from MMM collection for photo-shooting and she was touched. It looks great and suits her great.

Last edited by fincher; 14-10-2012 at 11:52 PM.

15-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
I saw and tried camel coat and jacket with disco-scarf in H&M showroom month ago. Coat is excellent! Definitely have to buy it. It worths of his price! Jacket was not my cup of tea... but have to say every piece of MMM collection is better than anything from previous special collections for H&M!
And ladies... shoes are perfect. I saw one czech actress how she tried flat boots from MMM collection for photo-shooting and she was touched. It looks great and suits her great.

I might have to drag out my poor brother just so he can grab me this coat. God bless his soul.

TWITTER:
15-10-2012
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
What I would like is a fair critique. There is a continuous discussion about the changes in the business of Margiela. Regardless of your opinion on the changes, it's a separate discussion and consequently, is not a valid point as to why you think this collection is bad. You can say the quality is not good but it's unfair to say the quality is bad because it's not the same as the real thing. It never said it was going to be nor should you expect it to be. If that's the case, then this collection is fundamentally not intended for people like you.
i think the point though is it's difficult to replicate items on this level that were originally made as one-of-a-kind--many limited in quantity with hand-made elements and of course,the unique materials that were often recycled out second hand stuff that you just can't reproduce to the same affect--and still get the same feeling out of it. so a lot of that soul and substance will be missing from this collection....that feeling of "special" will not be there as much either. it almost feels as though those originals are devalued in a certain sense. it would be like receiving a beautiful,one-of-a-kind hand-knitted sweater made with unique yarns and knitting patterns identifiable to a certain talent and then seeing one exactly like it at forever21. i think that sentiment can applied in this respect here.

and what you are saying about not expecting this to be like a main line,is true and i say that all the time about these mass/disposable fashion collaborations. but i think we'd be deluding ourselves if we didn't think there were some mighty naive people in this world who follow blindly(hype and the proverbial designer label slave) instead of thinking and educating themselves about what they're purchasing and what went into it. i mean we've seen so much of that in the past where people have their hopes high expecting the greatest thing and blah

Last edited by Scott; 15-10-2012 at 02:41 AM.

15-10-2012
scenester

But why the hell are you constantly talking about Margiela era, I do love him, bit he left the house, since it was Diesel's it's not the same, they're advertising themselves in all kinds of way, quality of design is lower and this items should not be re-released, but it's Renzo's house now and he is in charge of everything, even with these unique items that belogn to museum and not H&M.

So, imagine you buy Celine for h&m, or Lanvin, because this is not MMM it used to be. It is not house that will avoid ads and commercial bussines because all they care is profit.

Don't get me wrong, I used to think of this collab as 'so wrong' but instead of overthinking it, I'll just see if it's any good when I see it inp, if I like it, I'll buy it, not as Margiela piece, but as H&M piece, because this is still the best collaboration they ever had, unfortunatelly I still have mixed feelings about MMMXH&M.

Last edited by pe77; 15-10-2012 at 06:15 AM.
15-10-2012
V.I.P.

the Versace collaboration gave Donatella a MASSIVE boost in $$$. I'm sure that helped pay for the couture collection.

MMM is nowhere near as huge as Versace. it's doing this H&M project to a) get it's name out there to the masses in a more commercial manner and b) $$MONEY$$

i don't see why we're debating the merits of the collection. it's H&M meets MMM. the quality will be more in line with a mass-market company like H&M, but we'll be able to enjoy designs inspired by the creative brilliance of MMM. it's that simple! rock n roll!

V.I.P.

I am so surprised at how much I absolutely love this collection. I thought the Versace x H&M was a travesty, but this? This is so stunning/jaw dropping.

Stitch:the Hand

why? because these pieces are from the margiela era. they are archives so of course it's appropriate and quite relevant to talk about that period. to be honest,i feel like in a way this has been a great opportunity to celebrate and ruminate over that era because it was such an inspirational time. so again,if it achieves just that much and gets people into the how the maison culminated then i say good for them for doing this.

and i'm not saying i hate this nor am i outright dismissing it at face value. as i said it looks great aesthetically but we have to be smart and realize not to mention discern that it's going to be nowhere near the quality of design the originals ever were. there is a level of craftsmanship because of this format that will be downgraded immensely so it won't have that same feeling in this respect. and that's what he and his original team did so well with those pieces.

15-10-2012
front row

Some of the accessories and the shoes are great, also the military jacket. But the other pieces are questionable and it's totally not my style.

Blood On The Leaves

More men stuff

SUBDISTRICT

15-10-2012
V.I.P.

MUST have those red pants.

fashion icon

I want them all!!! when it's going to hit store.

16-10-2012
V.I.P.

i cant get past how pretentious it is for "them" to take MMM archives, reproduce them without any respect for the fact, that the execution of the design was what made each piece identifiable for what is was intended...great design.
i despise the notion of dumbing down art for consumer's sake.

16-10-2012
Blood On The Leaves

I will probably buy those white sneakers and if these black pants are made of leather, I'm gonna get them too.
The beige long dress looks amazing!

SUBDISTRICT

16-10-2012
V.I.P.

thats the first time i recognize that horizontal dress...

16-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
i cant get past how pretentious it is for "them" to take MMM archives, reproduce them without any respect for the fact, that the execution of the design was what made each piece identifiable for what is was intended...great design.
i despise the notion of dumbing down art for consumer's sake.
How exactly is it pretentious that MMM the corporation owned by Diesel is in business with H&M, another corporation to produce accessible, affordable and wearable clothes for the masses?

Some may twist and shout all they want because the exclusivity and rarity of the original MMM designs are somewhat tarnished in their view by this corporate collaboration, and that to me, shows your pretentious and elitist attitude more than anything. This is a commercial production-- it's not MMM, so what's the problem? MMM's original, artisanal, collectable pieces will still hold their much coveted cache amongst the fashion connoisseurs. I find it very pretentious and humorous that some feel the original MMM pieces will be diminished of their art form because of this output. I think it's great that this collaboration is as true to the designers aesthetic as a mass-produced collaboration can be. The quality of materials and construction, and attention to details will never be there, but that's to be expected. These reproductions will never be able to touch their original inspirations, but at this price point, it's so accessible to those who have always wanted something related to MMM, but couldn't afford it. And I think that's great.

I find your attitude of "dumbing down art for consumer's sake" so pretentious and rather pompous. This is only fashion, after all.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin