How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe77 View Post
Scott, I'll say...
I don't even have idea how can someone say that Margiela would do this. He wouldn't. I don't know what's he thinking know, but we all know his politics(or we should know, because I don't think that you can just buy Margiela and think 'wow, this is pretty' it is just not like that, it's more than just 'pretty' and buyers should really know 'behind the scenes'). Unfortunatelly most of those buyers wont even know what are they buying, but who cares, they're problem.
I think it would've been hilarious if Margiela (if he was around) agreed to a collaboration such as this.

TWITTER:

22-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
Although the prices are higher, I think it's reasonable. For example, H&M has never made great footwear and the higher price signify better build. And a lot of the items are oversized, hence needing large amounts of fabric.

To be honest, I like that it's a higher price point. I'm sure they could've made the prices lower but this allows room for Margiela to execute these reissues better and satisfy Margiela fans' expectations.

I think this will be the highest priced collaboration so far.

TWITTER:
22-10-2012
backstage pass

I'm actually quite surprised by the snobbery and idealism of some here. What did Martin the designer think when he sold his label to Diesel...? It's Diesel, Martin. So, if we're to point fingers, then mine would be pointing at Martin first for allowing the commercializing of his label to happen. And let's be real here, since the beginning, Martin's always been very high fashion. His designs were splashed all over high-profile fashion magazines, and being sold at very high end shops with high price-tags. And let's not forget, Martin was the designer for Hermes-- the ultimate status quo when it comes to luxury brand. So he's very much embraced, and part of the system. Let's not kid ourselves that Martin was all about the outsider. Jeez.

And Scott, those prices are Hong Kong dollars, not American dollars. Evil H&M is not trying to pull the wool over anyone.

22-10-2012
V.I.P.

The prices don't seem to be that much higher than some of the previous pieces really. They've all had pricey items in there as well as the lower, more accesible pieces. Lanvin's prices were about the same as this, it just looked less so as there was also so much at the lower price end too.

From the images the men's collection looks rather small. There seems to be only 4 or so lookbook images for the collection, and it's the same pieces cropping up in the press? Hope when we see the full thing online there's more.

22-10-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
I'm actually quite surprised by the snobbery and idealism of some here. What did Martin the designer think when he sold his label to Diesel...? It's Diesel, Martin. So, if we're to point fingers, then mine would be pointing at Martin first for allowing the commercializing of his label to happen. And let's be real here, since the beginning, Martin's always been very high fashion. His designs were splashed all over high-profile fashion magazines, and being sold at very high end shops with high price-tags. And let's not forget, Martin was the designer for Hermes-- the ultimate status quo when it comes to luxury brand. So he's very much embraced, and part of the system. Let's not kid ourselves that Martin was all about the outsider. Jeez.
I find it all a bit laughable actually, anyone that charges thousands of pounds for clothes should really cut the counter culture c*** to the minimum if it doesn't want to be know as an hypocrite of the first order. And for me it strikes me as a paradox that people say Margiela was anti-luxury but then portray him as an elitist. Someone that would be horrified that the masses would use designs inspired by his clothes. I do not think at all he came across that way.
We may not know what we think about this collab, but we certainly know he was not running a charity, or some pseudo artistic experience just the sake of it, he was running a business. He deemed Diesel good enough to take over his name, what makes people think he would be above connection himself with H&M?

22-10-2012
V.I.P.

When is the collection out on the website?

22-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I find it all a bit laughable actually, anyone that charges thousands of pounds for clothes should really cut the counter culture c*** to the minimum if it doesn't want to be know as an hypocrite of the first order.
Thanks for putting it directly and bluntly! LOL

I am continually baffled by such high stances some seem to take with certain designers-- that Martin is an artist and would never collaborate on such a commercial venture as this H&M deal. Or that replicating his classic pieces diminishes their purpose. How about Martin replicating classic military pieces for his own collection? I'm sure some military historians may have been disgusted at the fact that a high fashion designer was recreating utilitarian garments for "high fashion" and selling it for thousands of dollars.

I certainly prefer designers like Martin, Rei, Ann, Helmut for their alternative offer of high fashion... but I also understand they still need to run a profitable business, if only to continue doing what they're doing. So inferior and more accessible ventures like CDG's Play, and collaborations with a giant like H&M are smart business decisions. Unless all those who are complaining about these commercial ventures are actually buying the mainlines at retail, then you're not really supporting the principles of these unique designers. And just because someone is wearing mainline MMM from when Martin was the designer, doesn't make them appreciative, or understanding of the designer's work; some people just like fashion because it looks "cool" or "cute", and they like to snap a pic of themselves posing pigeon-toed in the latest H&M collab so they can post on their blog.

I think because this collaboration looks to be the truest to the designer and much more mature and adult than previous ones, I think more serious fashion fans, rather than casual ones, will be investing in it. And if this collection serves as the "gateway"/introduction to the original MMM to new fans, than isn't that a good?

22-10-2012
Stitch:the Hand

phuel,and if you noticed,i also corrected myself and i also apologised? but of course that wouldn't have given you an opportunity to put me in my place,no?

anyway,les_sucettes,of course he ran a business but certainly was still very much anti-luxury,conventionally speaking. you just have to look at the body of work to see that he just did everything differently.

you mention diesel,while he did sell that initial 30% stake to rosso in 2003,the works displayed in this endeavour most certainly had absolutely nothing to do with rosso or diesel. the point is,it's disingenuous. this was a big part of what built margiela's rep and respect but yet of course he has no say so. had margiela ever decided this,on his own terms,i would respect his decision. instead we have to witness some profit mongering owner rip off things he had nothing at all to do with. because the difference between this and what kawakubo did was that it was her decision.

22-10-2012
V.I.P.

There's no point anymore arguing the principles of this collaboration. If you don't like it, don't support it, don't post here. Death by anonymity. Like I said before, this is an entirely different argument that is a bigger discussion beyond this collection. SO OVER THIS ARGUMENT.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

you mention diesel,while he did sell that initial 30% stake to rosso in 2003,the works displayed in this endeavour most certainly had absolutely nothing to do with rosso or diesel. the point is,it's disingenuous. this was a big part of what built margiela's rep and respect but yet of course he has no say so. had margiela ever decided this,on his own terms,i would respect his decision. instead we have to witness some profit mongering owner rip off things he had nothing at all to do with. because the difference between this and what kawakubo did was that it was her decision.
He sold his rep and his history to Diesel. What you mention in your post is exactly what they bought. It was his decision and he must have been paid handsomely for it. He sold his right to object. So he's clearly not that precious about what they do with his body of work. It seems to me people are trying to be more papists than the pope.

22-10-2012
scenester

Quote:
If you don't like it, don't support it, don't post here.
there is no negative talk in here, and as this is forum, it is quite ok for everybody to speak their mind..I don't get why some people can't distinguish discussion from fight(?)...

anyways, I said it thousand times that everything that happened after Martin is his fault and no one questions that.. I even mentioned that this MMM is not even comparable to what it was, but why is it questionable that he was anti-luxury...nobody is talking about the prices, and they have to be that high, first of all, there where no ads(as in 'he did no ads') and do you know how much everything costs, it's not just about making clothes, there are ateliers, people helping him and so on and so on...and what is he left with in the end? He's not stupid, I've read he was poor for a very long time...and I've heard so many things about he selling the house to Diesel, but I wasn't there when all that happened so I'm not saying anything here.

Last edited by pe77; 22-10-2012 at 07:14 PM.
22-10-2012
V.I.P.

full lookbook with prices is out.

http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/201...book-prices/3/

Stitch:the Hand

you know,it would be rather nice to be able to express an opposing opinion without warranting so much smugness never mind the audacious name calling. if you don't agree don't reply. and emailme,if you don't care to engage no one has forced you to do so. this is a forum after all. if you want to have everything wrapped in a nice one-dimensional bow,perhaps you should stay on your own blog. and last i checked,most of us have been able to express our viewpoints without targeting and disrespecting other members in this thread yet somehow it seems to have inspired the opposite affect from certain responders.

Last edited by Scott; 23-10-2012 at 01:15 PM.
23-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
phuel,and if you noticed,i also corrected myself and i also apologised? but of course that wouldn't have given you an opportunity to put me in my place,no?
What?! Put you in your place...? Never! Well, only if you want me to...

Sorry I didn't you your own correction. I just thought it was funny that you would even think for a moment that H&M would be carrying items with pricetags to rival the MMM mainline. Now wouldn't that be funny to see all the H&M shoppers' expressions when they see that!

Having glanced over the comments of the blog that happycanadian linked to, it's amusing that some think this collaboration unwearable. The evil-me am glad that the typical trendy and fast-fashion types are turned off by this collaboration.

Last edited by Phuel; 23-10-2012 at 03:16 PM.
23-10-2012
V.I.P.

waiting for the PDF to pop up online which only displays the pieces and prices in Euros...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin