How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-06-2012
V.I.P.

what? is this serious? why H&M? just why? after big name like Lanvin, Versace, Marni, and now MMM? the only i know about the MMM collection is just the famous L'Incognito Sunglasses..

11-06-2012
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatouejeremie View Post
so fed up with the elitism surrounding margiela, the industry has changed a lot since margiela himself started his brand and in order to stay afloat business changes had to be made..
margiela had to know what he was getting himself into when he sold his company to diesel, they're not some non-profit organisation.. money thus changes had to be made.

so don't blame diesel for commercializing margiela, but margiela himself for selling out.
i'm assuming that was directed at me,yes?

for one,yes the industry has changed a lot since margiela started this...in 1987. but margiela was always margiela....even up till his departure. he himself as well as his label garnered a very distinct reputation for being uncompromisingly esoteric and idiosyncratic. rosso didn't change that when he signed up nor did margiela flinch at all in his spirit when the fashion world got a bit tough.

so why now all of sudden are they exploiting the label to commercial commodities in this "masstige",as some have dubbed it? i just think it's sad that for all the qualities this label represented for a long time....it's now playing into what margiela always played against.....homogenization.

why couldn't rosso just use diesel as the collaborative?

Last edited by Scott; 11-06-2012 at 01:08 PM.
11-06-2012
V.I.P.

For me this falls into the same realms as the CDG collection. It wasn't particularly commercial - yes there were of course pieces that were, but a lot of it was actually still very CDG. The same may well happen here, if H&M are confident enough to allow MMM to do as they wish with it.

11-06-2012
scenester

Margiela collections are too 'commercial' since he left(I would call it unadvisedly) so I'm sure this will have the same character.

So sad, but I'm still looking forward to it because it was something to expect, since 'commercial' is Renzo's goal. It will be better than Versace tho...

11-06-2012
Stitch:the Hand

but the difference between CdG and MMM is that was not only rei's decision to make but she also does do commercial diffusion collections,like Play et al. however,here,this not some designer choosing to do so but a mere corporatist hiding behind the label.

another point i'd like to make too is that....why is this necessary? most high-street places already filter MMM's approach through to the masses as is......how will this be that special or unique?

Last edited by Scott; 11-06-2012 at 05:40 PM.
11-06-2012
fashion elite

Ummm.. I want to wait till the pieces come out but most likely I'll say Return To Sender.

11-06-2012
scenester

I totaly agree, Scott. Pure, minimalism, white, metal-those are trends that will probably be the carrier of the collection. And those things are now 'it' details. But we'll see, maybe maison and atelier surprise us! hah

12-06-2012
V.I.P.

It's official.

Quote:
“MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA is one of the most important and influential fashion houses of the past three decades. I am so excited by this radical collaboration which will give fashion lovers around the world the chance to wear special pieces by MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA. This collaboration will be a great and memorable fashion moment“, says Margareta van den Bosch, Creative Advisor at H&M.

“We are very happy to present MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA pieces with H&M, offering a new interpretation of our vision. The democracy of our fashion has always been at the centre of our creativity, and the collaboration with H&M allows us to push this instinct further. We will bring together the contrasting universes of the two houses in ways that will surprise all.” MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA
November 15th. Menswear, womenswear and accessories.

Last edited by honeycombchild; 12-06-2012 at 01:26 AM.
12-06-2012
scenester

here's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsPz...ature=youtu.be

12-06-2012
V.I.P.

Yay! A collaboration I'm excited about, PLUS I'll actually be in a city where they'll stock the collection.

scenester

and another video(male collection)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSlEg...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by pe77; 12-06-2012 at 02:56 AM.
12-06-2012
fashion icon

hmmm...

deconstructionism at an affordable price?

Thanks but I'll pass on the polyester rags.

12-06-2012
front row

i'm very much excited for this!

12-06-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatouejeremie View Post
so fed up with the elitism surrounding margiela, the industry has changed a lot since margiela himself started his brand and in order to stay afloat business changes had to be made..
margiela had to know what he was getting himself into when he sold his company to diesel, they're not some non-profit organisation.. money thus changes had to be made.

so don't blame diesel for commercializing margiela, but margiela himself for selling out.
There are ways of buying over designer names and house without explicit consent of the designer, or simply getting hold of a large controlling stake, or swooping in for deals when funds are badly needed to keep the collections going. Unless we know specifically the details, and no one does as Margiela himself is a recluse, we cann't assume that he was the one who "sold out".

As for this collection, yes, by destroying MMM's mystique, it truly demeans MMM...

12-06-2012
fashion insider

I have lost all respect for the people who now run the business of MMM, a H&M collaboration?

I doubt this will be as good as a designer with bigger presence in the fashion industry.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin