How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2012
scenester

I wouldn't call Kanye a victim, he's pretty smart, I've watched a few interviews, and he is so talented for multiple things..but this is not a place for that discussion..

TREV.. who cares what your friends would say, I like it on Maryna too, but this is how a short blogger styled it(terrible styling, but they fit her amazing)

I am not going to wear it without heels anyways..

29-10-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
... the point being,it would have at least been nice to see a few more genuine fans in the midst of all those attention seekers. that's all.
I'm thinking that the real fans of Margiela wouldn't come, that's why they weren't there..oh, it would be so pretty if Tilda was there..and maybe less stars but fashion editors and people that are really in fash world..but that wouldn't attract a lot of people..but on the other hand, I don't think that the classic GG fan would ever wear anything like this...

29-10-2012
V.I.P.

pe77, please credit your image. otherwise your posts will be deleted.

that leather jacket definitely looks as if it could swallow a person up. it looks even worse on this guy (credit :ebay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leather2.jpg (10.2 KB, 311 views)

V.I.P.

I've narrowed my list down to only that jacket. Any more photos?

Also which blog is the from?

Blood On The Leaves

^http://5inchandup.blogspot.com/

29-10-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
that leather jacket definitely looks as if it could swallow a person up. it looks even worse on this guy (credit :ebay)
I can't see the pic of the eBay guy, but if it's the same one I've before (bald guy in cap?), it looks horrible on him-- the jacket looks all torn up on him. That jacket is meant for a very thin frame so the lines remain sharp, and not meant to be worn fitted. Even a woman wearing it fitted will look like she's busting out of the seams, Hulk-style-- literally.

I totally get that it's a commercial venture and H&M needs the event to be shown in all those tabloid/celebrity gossip shows, etc. to attract the mainstream, trendy customer who feed on this type of hype and affordability. It just feels so schizo as if the PR teams are running two different shows: one with all the celebrities crap, and another going all serious "art" performance with Anne and her crew. And neither represent MMM... As Scott,'s said it's a very shallow attempt by a corporation at staging a contrived avant-garde vibe. Martin, like Helmut, never presented his shows as anything but a simple, sparse, straightforward "showing" of his designs-- he even rejected the conventional runway with supermodels and stars.

As for Kanye being there to sell to the urban crowd... I don't think that crowd would be even remotely interested in MMM. Like the celebrity-worshipping pack, the urban crowd likes their dresses "cute" and their bags "it". I don't mean to pick on him-- because I do like his music, but he really needs to keep away from contributing, in any form, to high fashion. Just because you can pile on designer swag, does not make you stylish.

29-10-2012
scenester

oh, I'm sorry I was in rush, it's 5inchandup.com as Teja wrote.. but I can't edit post anymore!

the jaket is terrific on photos, but I've never really liked that jacket..

Last edited by pe77; 29-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
29-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post

As for Kanye being there to sell to the urban crowd... I don't think that crowd would be even remotely interested in MMM. Like the celebrity-worshipping pack, the urban crowd likes their dresses "cute" and their bags "it". I don't mean to pick on him-- because I do like his music, but he really needs to keep away from contributing, in any form, to high fashion. Just because you can pile on designer swag, does not make you stylish.
I wouldn't underestimate Kanye's influence. When I was stalking twitter and searched 'Margiela.' Hundreds of results was Kanye's lyric line 'What's this jacket? Margiela.' Easily, that is a headline on a blog or a magazine.

Also this happened for the Versace collection where Kanye performed wearing the bomber jacket at the Victoria Secret Show. I lined up for this collection and many people were referring to it as the 'Kanye jacket' and had it on their list to buy. I can see this happening again to the coat he wore.

Regardless of our opinion, people will buy this just because Kanye wore it - however shallow and mindless we all know that is.

Last edited by emailme.; 29-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
29-10-2012
fashion insider

I have a few things on my list, but the oversized trousers and jeans are there. Gives me an excuse to purchase yet another pair of platform shoes. I'm mostly sticking to the trousers and jackets. I'm passing on the duvet coat because I hate white coats. The leather jacket will be a last minute decision for me. I have to see this in person.

TWITTER:
30-10-2012
V.I.P.

I saw the pieces today in person, and there's a few other pieces we haven't seen crop up anywhere yet. There's a leather car seat dress, with the cut out back... maybe someone wore this for the launch actually? Either way, it's pretty cool. There's a cardigan draped jacket thing of the fur print jersey dress also. The really long grey knitted dress feels much nicer than I was expecting.

Menswear wise there's two big knitted pieces, a sweatshirt printed with a shirt on it, and a short sleeve white t-shirt which is actually really cool. It has like a rubberised print splattered near the shoulders and neckline. Personally I'm just not convinced by the leather pieces, in person they all look a bit... off. Shoes and boots really do look cool though, and from what I remember there's a sort of square brown leather bag I hadn't seen anywhere else which is worth a look.

30-10-2012
backstage pass

I really like that woman's jacket, but now after seeing it in that guy I'm definitely not going to get it I don't need to look more tragic than I already am I like some of the men's pieces, I've been looking for skinny suit trousers so I'm gonna try those out, and maybe some of the shoes. Other than that, not as impressed as I thought I would be.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
I wouldn't underestimate Kanye's influence. When I was stalking twitter and searched 'Margiela.' Hundreds of results was Kanye's lyric line 'What's this jacket? Margiela.' Easily, that is a headline on a blog or a magazine.

Also this happened for the Versace collection where Kanye performed wearing the bomber jacket at the Victoria Secret Show. I lined up for this collection and many people were referring to it as the 'Kanye jacket' and had it on their list to buy. I can see this happening again to the coat he wore.

Regardless of our opinion, people will buy this just because Kanye wore it - however shallow and mindless we all know that is.
Oh gosh, so Kanye has jedi-power over the weak-minded? Scary... I guess the good news is that hopefully all the celebrity-chasing types will also follow Kanye and snatch up all the XL because they saw him wear it hugely oversized (the hem of that coat came down over his calves when it's supposed to hit just at/above the knee!), and leave all the smaller sizes for those who know about fit.

honeycombchild: The leather seatbelt dress was worn by Helena CHristiansen at the event. She looks good in it, and I would imagine most women would also since it's a rather classic and simple silhouette-- just with interesting details.

Last edited by Phuel; 30-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.
30-10-2012
V.I.P.

^^ the car seat dress was worn by helena christensen at the promo event...i wasnt that impressed with it...

i am hoping that the ebay market will be completely saturated like the jason wu for target items were..then the prices will be driven down.

V.I.P.

I think with this one we'll definitely see a surge in certain items. There is no way H&M are going to have made a large quantity of some of the items like the shearling or leather jackets, they just wont have done, meaning these will probably end up going for a lot of money on e-bay. Where as I bet there are going to be a large quantity of sweet clutch bags, jersey printed pieces and draped dresses. Hopefully these pieces will end up saturated on e-bay and mean the prices stay reasonable. So, I suppose e-bay is all going to be rather dependant on what you want!

Lanvin was a pretty consistant buy I think, across the board there seemed to be a lot of all pieces, same with Marni, but for me Margiela is going to run like CDG did and see some items with tiny quantities. No one wants to have to be discounting shearling leather coats..

30-10-2012
backstage pass

^^^Those "Buy It Now" prices are hilariously shameless on eBay, but it's a free market... and most also include "Best Offer", so the sellers know most people are not going to snatch up the BIN-asking prices.

These H&M-collaborations are always more interesting for the reaction they get from everyone-- to me anyways, than the actual pieces. I'd love to see the crowds around the world on Nov. 15.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin