How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-06-2012
windowshopping

I'm really curious at how this collaboration will turn out. I hope I'll have the chance to see some of the pieces myself in the H&M stores.

12-06-2012
tfs star

I'm kinda excited

12-06-2012
fashion insider

Just wondering: How many people can say they own a piece of Margiela clothing? vs. How many people can say they would like to own a piece of Margiela clothing? Exactly. Margiela will undoubtedly gain a few new fans due to the new exposure but from my point of view, this is mainly a creative venture on H&M's part aimed at making MMM a little more readily available to the people who don't have the means to go out and get themselves the real deal. H&M obviously isn't targeting the same audience with every designer collaboration they do; certainly nobody expects the Versace clientele to be queueing up for this one. I don't foresee much if any "homogenization" happening with the Margiela fanatics and the average H&M customer. Anyways, just because this is considered a commercial venture for MMM doesn't mean that the clothes and accessories can't be considered valid fashion...besides, it's MMM for H&M not MMM for Wal-Mart.

12-06-2012
V.I.P.

i'm curious if they'll give that collaboration its own number...

12-06-2012
scenester

Someone said that the people who work in Maison currently-sold out.
I don't believe that the creative part of MMM has anything to do with selling out with this collaboration. I can only admire those people(if I ignore the fact that they can't design as well as Martin did but who expects that), because they continue to work where nobody wants to be right now due to Renzo's policy.

12-06-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
so why now all of sudden are they exploiting the label to commercial commodities in this "masstige",as some have dubbed it? i just think it's sad that for all the qualities this label represented for a long time....it's now playing into what margiela always played against.....homogenization.
i get where you are coming from but i do feel most of what you're saying is just based on what MMM represents to you personally as a label.

MMM hasn't really been a niche label for quite some time now, even since before he sold out and left, they never seem to have been very picky when it comes to what stores are allowed to carry it etc.

anyway, vanessa friedman wrote a little piece on the collaboration and she makes quite a few interesting points

http://blogs.ft.com/material-world/2...rising-choice/

12-06-2012
V.I.P.

The end of MMM...I am not please with the news at all!

12-06-2012
V.I.P.

let's hope they use archival designs. really old ones.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMajor View Post
The end of MMM...I am not please with the news at all!
This is the 'beginning' , will be a mega promovation (all Vogues, ELLE,etc) ! They will lose 5 customers, but will win 50!

12-06-2012
backstage pass

I work for H&M and it's still like????

Stitch:the Hand

erm....i wouldn't say that what i'm saying is based purely on my own feeling.....it's what the label has represented to a lot of people. you talk to a lot of young,experimental talents and MMM is one of the first designers people acknowledge. hell,even mcqueen said he was the one designer that influenced him more than anybody. it's not simply my opinion but the reputation.

and granted,the label itself has evolved a lot since MM departed and it's nowhere near the level of integrity it once had when he was at the helm but i just find it such a slap in the face to MM to see this happening when the body of work speaks so hard against what rosso is attempting to do here. that's just the way i see it at face-value

now,if they were to go about this in a totally unique way and maybe incorporate MMM's overall essence such as their ability to recycle and transform existing materials into interesting pieces,i would be on board with this. but i highly suspect that won't be the case here.

15-06-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
as if they haven't undermined and disrespected the label enough already....now they're jumping on the H&M/designer collab. bandwagon. but i can't be surprised with renzo. this is what he wanted MMM to be all along,and i highly suspect that's why margiela ultimately left.

The idea that Margiela's aesthetic and ideals are being dragged through H&M after Donatella Versace's..

15-06-2012
scenester

Quote:
now,if they were to go about this in a totally unique way and maybe incorporate MMM's overall essence such as their ability to recycle and transform existing materials into interesting pieces,i would be on board with this. but i highly suspect that won't be the case here.
why not? I highly believe that this is just what are they are going to do. If not most of the fans will be very dissapointed, because to destroy such a house like this one is such a shame. But someone said, and it's true...MMM will lose 5 fans, but will get 50...

but MMM has changed since he left and we have to face the music that is no longer Margiela's Maison.

16-06-2012
unspecified

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
let's hope they use archival designs. really old ones.
I SECOND THIS! It's really sad to see how this brand was handled, they destroyed it bit by bit, and this collaboration could only ensure it's way down, or have a nostalgic reminder of what it used to be.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
16-06-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatouejeremie View Post
hoping for a nice white labcoat!
You know what, that would be such a dream-comes-true for me. Imagine a fashion-loving bio-medical research scientist wearing MMM lab coat at work! What a fashion-cum-science statement would that be! I know this probably won't have anything to do with Monsieur Margiela anymore, but it still absolutely gets me going. I am super-excited about it. Well, if Margiela himself would design this collection, I am sure I would camp outside Beverly Center two weeks before the release date!:p

BTW, does Margiela still lives in Weho these days? If only I could meet him in person in LA one day!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin