How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-11-2012
front row

I've seen the men's leather belt VOGUE28. It has to be the belt that has a wider design on one side??

It is a great piece....and timeless....it will always be in style and always easy to wear....but??

From my perspective....i think a much better investment might be the crazy black dress that has 2 halves that do not match. It's truly a really fun....and incredibly interesting dress to wear. It's obviously a considerably strange dress....but it's certainly unique and a great conversation starter.

Also...without seeming sexist....a girl can always add another great black dress to her wardrobe. Classic...fun to wear....ahead of it's time....unlike any other....and always in style. You can wear it for an important holiday or party, too.

If you're not a "wearing a dress" type of girl...think of the same dress as a layering piece, too. You could wear the dress over a pair of jeans.... or over a pair of dress-trousers....you could also wear a classic white blouse underneath the dress so it doesn't show too muck skin.

I'm not sure what the retail price is for the dress....but considering it is a black dress and timeless...it might be a better investment that the beige leather belt??

JUST MY OPINION.

18-11-2012
backstage pass

^^^VOGUE28 is a man.

I always liked the concept of MMM-- but not so much the actual garments. The very notion that you're paying so much money for these clothes, which are only sold at the most high-end stores, totally defeat and runs contrary to the concept of MMM. To me anyways.

I loved that during his first shows, he sent models out to the audience wearing jackets/coats made of garment bag plastic that were taped together with duct-tape just 15 minutes before because, he thought it was such a waste to throw away the plastic bags. His concept was a genuine do-it-yourself and make it work for you. But when people are spending thousands of dollars on designs that are already "made-for-them", i think that completely defeats the purpose of thinking for yourself. It's like people are only willing to wear vintage, army-surplus and self-made pieces that only look that way on a superficial level-- but is actually made by a famous high fashion designer that they paid a lot of money for... People like that just come off phoney and more of a fashion-victim to me than authentic, or daring.

To keep on topic, I think these H&M pieces are totally fun and disposable. I don't think any designer should be above such collaborations. Even if Helmut Lang should be the next H&M victim, I would gladly anticipate-- if only out of curiosity, to see what happens. I'll know I have the real thing, and nothing mass-produce can touch that.

Anyway, about the plexi-heels being uncomfortable: wouldn't a structured insole fix that problem for you ladies? I can understand such insoles would look unsightly on the shoe version, but no one can see it on the boot version.

18-11-2012
front row

This is the black dress I'm referring to, VOGUE28

It looks like a very stylish...and also very fun...dress to wear...i/m/o.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/10/...led/gallery/32

18-11-2012
front row

OOPS...sorry VOGUE28....I thought you were a female....LOL

18-11-2012
front row

I will certainly agree with you, Pheul......about MM pieces only being marketed in high-end boutiques and department stores....a bit pretentious and contrary to MM esthetic.

Obviously....many of his pieces were being massed produced many years ago.....but not in the same mass quantities as you would find at other middle-market retailers.

In some instances...we had pieces in the boutique that only had 1 pieces, per size. Meaning...we had a size small...but only one of them....we had a size medium...but only 1 size medium in the boutique, etc.

Many of his pieces were incredibly DIY....but in some way...I think it was Martin's intention. It gave the consumer the option to purchase the piece...or....it also gave inspiration if someone wanted to make one, of their own.

I have the ability and the knowledge to sew, myself. Others are not so fortunate. I would see pieces that I can actually make on my own....and some pieces were drastically too ambitious for me to attempt. Trust me...I tried on my own and failed, miserably....LOL

You are correct about Margiela not finding it practical..or sensible...to throw away the plastic bags.

Another collection he once presented was........the models were directed onto a small flat tray of red paint. The models were asked to step into the paint (Tabi boots on their feet)....and proceeded to walk the white canvas-covered runway.

The following year...Margiela saved the white canvas from the runway....and made several garments afterwards...with the red paint footprints.

18-11-2012
front row

But.....there is also another perspective to look upon, too.

Without coming across as snooty.....Margiela's pieces were exclusively found at high-end boutiques simply b/c...within a high-end boutique atmosphere...there will typically be a die-hard fashion clientele. Not ALL of the customers.....but several of them...looked upon fashion as a major priority to them.

Other people look upon clothing as merely...a necessity.

Margiela was never easy to understand....and it always took a very unique breed of client to appreciate his pieces.

People with other priorities would find it too bizarre to actually want to wear a dress...or a trenchcoat....with 2 halves that don't match, intentionally. They would look upon it as absurd...or ridiculous. They are more inclined to wear something more classic....and less thought provoking. They wear clothing...not "concepts" of fashion.

In other words...placing a Margiela piece within the confines of a mass-market department store...simply wouldn't sell, presumably.

Everyone has different priorities.

Some people will think nothing of spending 30 grand for an automobile....or hundreds of dollars for music....but because of "priority"...these same customers would never spend 400 dollars, on a black dress. Clothing and fashion are of no concern, to them.

18-11-2012
front row

Ultimately...I'm just a regular Joe-Schmo just like everybody else....but...I also just so happen to LOVE fashion.

I shop at private boutiques with unimaginable price tags....but I also walk into Sears when I need to buy a washing machine.

Sears HAS a clothing department...but I'm not foolish enough...or pretentious enough...to consider finding pieces by Helmut Lang, Margiela, or Drien Van Noten dispersed amongst the racks. Marketing these designers within Sears....to a typical Sears Client (and there is nothing wrong with being a Sears client)...would be insensible. Margiela pieces...and understanding them...would probably fly right over their heads.

I'm a fashion person...but it doesn't make me any better than a non-fashion person.

As I stated prior, it's merely based upon one's priorities.

18-11-2012
trendsetter

^ BUT H&M clients are wearing clothes, not 'concepts of fashion', as you said.
That said I think most of buyers of MMM x H&M collection are actually buyers because it's a very known brand and mostly they don't even know anything about it. It's a contradiction.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
18-11-2012
V.I.P.

does anyone else think its weird that this is H&M's least commercial collection with the most distribution? pretty much all the items except for the red sneakers and the candy wrapper purse are still at my local two stores today.

___
from wwd...

In America, H&M for the first time made the collection available in 40 stores. The Marni launch, for example, was available in only 26 stores nationwide. In Manhattan, all 11 H&M stores were selling the collection. Several of those units are in close proximity, which cut down on lines. “For the first time, we’re giving people the opportunity to discover the collection,” said an H&M spokeswoman. “With 11 stores, we had a more even flow.”
We are pleased with the selling of the collection; it is exactly what we expected,” a spokeswoman said. “We’re also [pleased] with the reception from our customers for the launch in the 230 stores worldwide.”
Van den Bosch feigned ignorance when asked about the next designer partnership. “We’re taking a little time off,” she said. “We have had so many launches, we decided not to do anything for spring. For fall 2013, we’ll do something.”

V.I.P.

Oh, I was expecting a spring one. Well I hope this means next fall's is a great one.

19-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
does anyone else think its weird that this is H&M's least commercial collection with the most distribution? pretty much all the items except for the red sneakers and the candy wrapper purse are still at my local two stores today.

___
from wwd...

In America, H&M for the first time made the collection available in 40 stores. The Marni launch, for example, was available in only 26 stores nationwide. In Manhattan, all 11 H&M stores were selling the collection. Several of those units are in close proximity, which cut down on lines. “For the first time, we’re giving people the opportunity to discover the collection,” said an H&M spokeswoman. “With 11 stores, we had a more even flow.”
We are pleased with the selling of the collection; it is exactly what we expected,” a spokeswoman said. “We’re also [pleased] with the reception from our customers for the launch in the 230 stores worldwide.”
Van den Bosch feigned ignorance when asked about the next designer partnership. “We’re taking a little time off,” she said. “We have had so many launches, we decided not to do anything for spring. For fall 2013, we’ll do something.”
OR "we know the masses aren't going to appreciate the clothes and we know it's going to have a shitty sales report, so by putting it in more stores, we hope it actually sells".
My god, I went to the Beverly Center here in Los Angeles yesterday just to see what leftover pieces remained and oh by was I surprised. The whole collection (both women and men) still remained at the store with the exception of the sneakers (let's be real. Those were the most coveted items in this). There were hoards of people still trying pieces on, but it was SO evident they had no idea who about Margiela or the label and they looked like fashion victims trying it on. There was so much hype surrounding this, especially with the NY event with the art performances and those random H&M employee events that were happening around the world to support the collection. Yikes.

Stitch:the Hand

to be honest,the marketing is really backfiring on H&M if reading the stories are an indication. i think they really are trying to overcompensate for the lack of familiarity and the price range,hence the driven campaign on tv and of course the collection being available more widely. truth be told,i don't see how on earth they thought that was a good strategy anyway because as we've seen so much the wider it is in this country the least people are going to respond,especially a collection this idiosyncratic. middle america is not an audience for this sort of work....it's too niche. and that's not snobbish stance but it's reality. i think they should have scaled the collection back a bit,kept the collection within the more commercial vein of the work they've been doing of late and kept it exclusive to the major cities as before,then maybe it would have been a little more successful. i mean the archives sound great in theory,especially for fans of the era,but we can't forget MMM was not all that popular then,so why would it all of a sudden become popular now just because it's on an H&M level? it's still a conceptual line.

19-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycombchild View Post
I only just realized the shearling jacket isn't actually shearling, it's fake!
How can it be suede and yet be 70% polyester?
probably glued it to the suede? it's an utter shame, it only strengthens my resolution to not buy it until i hits €50

i would have also pegged Dolce to collaborate ages ago... with their tax issues and such...

but Givenchy would be REALLY interesting. especially after their recent hype...

19-11-2012
front row

No word of a lie, but....I heard that either Target or H&M is slated to do a collaboration with Hermes.

A friend of mine works at the Hermes store in San Francisco....and his store manager told him the news.

That's hysterical!!!

19-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
to be honest,the marketing is really backfiring on H&M if reading the stories are an indication. i think they really are trying to overcompensate for the lack of familiarity and the price range,hence the driven campaign on tv and of course the collection being available more widely. truth be told,i don't see how on earth they thought that was a good strategy anyway because as we've seen so much the wider it is in this country the least people are going to respond,especially a collection this idiosyncratic. middle america is not an audience for this sort of work....it's too niche. and that's not snobbish stance but it's reality. i think they should have scaled the collection back a bit,kept the collection within the more commercial vein of the work they've been doing of late and kept it exclusive to the major cities as before,then maybe it would have been a little more successful. i mean the archives sound great in theory,especially for fans of the era,but we can't forget MMM was not all that popular then,so why would it all of a sudden become popular now just because it's on an H&M level? it's still a conceptual line.

You're absolutely correct, Scott. The collection is a bit too idiosyncratic for standard H&M clientele.

I remember a few years ago, I was strolling through the H&M here in Boston...and I was wearing a pair of MM over-sized fold-over pants with an MM Aids T-shirt and the hair-necklace...and the peeps shopping there were snickering at me. I also had on a pair of 900 dollar Carpe Diem boots.

As I stepped outside...I smirked and said to myself....they must all assume I'm homeless, while what I'm wearing and what it cost me could feed a large family in a 3rd world country!! Jeesh...LOL

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin