How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2012
flaunt the imperfection

this will change nothing...
cdg x h&m changed nothing and neither will this...

frankly- i think it's going to be MAJOR...
as in- sell out instantly...
but, you know, i never got a piece of cdg for h&m and i have never felt like i was missing anything...
this will probably be similar to that...imo

19-06-2012
front row

As fas as I'm concerned.....associating the names H&M with Martin Marigela is an oxymoron, unto itself.

I gave up on Margiela back in 2004.....ironically, the same year the Diesel Corp claimed a stake in MMM.

I'm 40 years old. I started collecting Margiela pieces back in 1989.

Although I do own PLENTY of old school Margiela pieces...whenever I look at them..I love them but....there is also some sadness involved.

Nostalgia.

I remember what MMM once was....and I have watched it evolve (or watched its demise) into what it has now become.

I've never considered myself an elitist. I merely love fashion. Amazing fashion. Unusual fashion. Non commercial fashion.

Whenever I did wear his pieces....several people would ask who it was made by.

Although I told them it was by "Martin Margiela....a very elusive designer from Belgium", who was I impressing?? They had absolutely NO idea who he was during that time.

But...I will say that I am a teacher, at heart.

I've always loved to inform people about something or someone they might not be familiar with....and I try to ignite a spark...or a passion within them if they develop any interest.

The H&M collaboration was eventual and unavoidable.

In a world with a suffering global economy....it's almost impossible to sustain ANY company nowadays without mass production and over commercialization.

Sad, but true.

19-06-2012
Stitch:the Hand

mike,and you and i,i feel,are completely on the same page. i feel that exact same sense of sadness when i look at the very few but very treasured pieces i own from the early 00's,plus all the work from that period that i see through various mediums. and isn't about elitism or exclusivity.....and i take offense to that charge wholeheartedly......but it's about the authenticity and the integrity this label once represented.

19-06-2012
front row

How anybody wearing MMM could be considered an elitist..is way beyond my understanding.

If I was festooned an decorating in many labels and logo's consider as "status"....I would admit to be an elitist....but.....

In essence...Martin Margiela is and was an absolute "nobody."

Hence, the blank label inside his pieces. No name...no words and in some cases...not even any numbers.

He considered himself a fashion designer, pure and simple. Who he was and what he looked like were secondary to his craft.

Did it matter what he looked like?? NO.

Could the same question be applied to ANY designer in the field of fashion, today?? YES

What I once admired about Margiela was not only his breathtaking imagination...but also, his integrity.

Every designer wants (and needs) money to sustain what they do. Everybody needs to earn a living, of course.

But...there is a very fine line between profit...and GREED.

Margiela was never a designer who insisted on making himself famous. With all the creativity and talent he surpassed (in consideration than most other designers)....I imagine he VERY WELL could have. The man had talent...amazing talent. SO MUCH talent..that even the highest upper echelon of luxury branding WANTED him. Hermes.

But...he was humble.

I also loved him for his (dare I say)....D.I.Y. approach to some of his pieces.

I remember days that I would spend...scouring for t-shirts at The Goodwill and Salvation Army....that I could buy....bring home....deconstruct...and make on my own with my sewing machine.

He inspired me to create.

Just like Margiela....I was an absolute NOBODY.

Some of his pieces were incredibly ambitious, too. I tried making some of those on my own...and failed, miserably.

I'm not a wealthy person. I probably never will be. Who cares?? Does it matter??

H&M might be embarking upon the cult of Martin Margiela...but without him behind the helm designing each and every piece within the collaboration....can anyone TRULY say..."this is BY Martin Margiela." I think not.

Everybody wants a piece of somebody.

Renzo Rosso from Diesel and H&M found an idea and a way to make large profits by riding on the coat-tails of Margiela's talent....and they're going to market "Margiela" to a mass audience. Good for them.

It is their philosophy and their esthetic to "fashion" that simply does not appeal to me.

If that makes me an Elitist..the..so be it.

19-06-2012
fashion insider

The key difference is that cdg herself agreed to the collaboration, and she has a lesser t-shirt line, and other diffusion lines, so it was her business decision. Likewise Jil Sander with Uniqlo, I suspect she demanded a certain standard of quality before she would agree to such a line. MM is not likely to agree to this deal with H&M, he is the last person to want to jump on such a bandwagon, he is a recluse, he was "muji" before there was Muji, he isn't into mass sales and the buyers of the H&M MMM line, with its blank label, will have no idea that they are contributing to his pain. They are simply buying the "label", it has nothing of the designer's soul.

I will absolutely refuse to buy the H&M version, and also the MMM line without the designer, if they go ahead with this disrespectful deal.

Last edited by Zazie; 19-06-2012 at 10:56 PM.
20-06-2012
front row

Very well said, Zazie. We both share the same perspective and the same outlook.

In some respects....I simply know that whomever jumps on the bandwagon to purchase a collaborative H&M/Martin Margiela piece....will be merely SWINDLED for their cash.

Lets face the music, children.....and dive into the TRUTH about what this "Margiela" collection is all about.

Money and Publicity....(which only makes the brand more commercial...hence bigger and more profits)

Margiela is,...GONE. Long gone. Goodbye. Farewell. I'm not here anymore, right??

This collaboration is a joke and a scam...no matter how hard anyone tries to support it.

The collaboration is being designed by a "team" of many designers.

Margiela also had a team of designers helping him, too....BUT...at least Martin Margiela (himself) was a huge part of the collaboration process. Right??

If Margiela is GONE...without ANY ounce of input AT ALL.....how can anyone argue that this IS a "Martin Margiela" collection for H&M??

Scam. Scam. Scam. Scam.

Joke. Joke. Joke.

Nonsense. Nonsense. Nonsense.

If anyone would care to argue my point..there here is some food for though.

I have over 100 "Van Gogh" paintings in my closet that I'd love to rob, you of your cash.

Oh..they are DEFINITELY by Vincent, himself. They're all authentic...painted and designed by the artist himself, also.

But..the only drawback is...nothing on the paintings has been signed by him, personally. And, I can't guarantee that any of the talent and imagination from him was ever involved.

If you've got the money, honey...I'll sell you my disease.

20-06-2012
V.I.P.

Seriously. I do feel that there's a serious lack of a grip being had here.

If someone likes the items produced and wishes to buy them, then let them do so. Do not tell them they're being SWINDLED and that they are jumping on a BANDWAGON. If they like it and they want it, then let them have it. MMM have decided they want to do this collaboration with H&M for whatever reason that may be, we can guess at why, but unless any of us actually work there, we wont know why. Let it be. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. But don't go around telling everyone else they're mugs if they like a piece and want to purchase it.

21-06-2012
scenester

I said it before and will repeat. This is NOT Margiela's house anymore, it is sad, but I(and so should you) accept that nothing is the same and I don't expect big amount of Margiela's genious mind into that collaboration or any of the collections anymore.

21-06-2012
front row

Does Martin Margiela own the label anymore? NO! That is the key point here. We can go on and on about how sad it is that Margiela isn't anymore designing for his label (and it is, I loved Margielas work! A big fan). But it is how it is. H&M is doing a collab with Maison Martin Margiela and that is what they have said all along. They are not saying the collection is designed by Margiela himself.

Diesel now owns the house now and they can do what ever they like with it. It was sold to them it is theirs. Sad or not but it is so.

I personally have mixed feelings over this collection. There can be some great pieces in this collection but I'm worried the mens collection will be a total bore. But I can always shop in the womens section if the pieces have that unisex feel that MMM many times has.

If somebody wants to buy this collection what is wrong with it?

fashion insider

margielamike, you, scott, I and the diehard loyal fans of Margiela, the designer, will probably not buy into any of this, no matter how cool or cheaply available. Sadly, it's just an empty shell now, to help Diesel make money from all those who like MM, the label, and the "avant-garde" designs it stands for. This is not like Jil Sander, where a strong, younger designer took over to keep the label relevant, this is just sales. I hope some day, MM himself will start another line, and we all get to witness more of his personal statement and creative genius before it's too late.

I wear clothes, any sort of clothes, and then there are pieces that are so personal, they speak directly to me from the designer's heart and mind. I can do without these H&M clothes, thank you.

Last edited by Zazie; 21-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.
21-06-2012
V.I.P.

Please, of course MMM is elitist! That's the sole reason why I am against the collaboration. They are for the masses!

21-06-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
margielamike, you, scott, I and the diehard loyal fans of Margiela, the designer, will probably not buy into any of this, no matter how cool or cheaply available. Sadly, it's just an empty shell now, to help Diesel make money from all those who like MM, the label, and the "avant-garde" designs it stands for. This is not like Jil Sander, where a strong, younger designer took over to keep the label relevant, this is just sales. I hope some day, MM himself will start another line, and we all get to witness more of his personal statement and creative genius before it's too late.

I wear clothes, any sort of clothes, and then there are pieces that are so personal, they speak directly to me from the designer's heart and mind. I can do without these H&M clothes, thank you.
You do understand that Jil Sander is owned by another company and is not private, right? As is the case for most brands now a days.
Also, what is wrong with Margiela's design team? These are the people, the designers that Margiela hired to assist and help him create. You seriously have to be in another dimension if you think one person does it all. Margiela was a great creative force, no question, but he surrounded himself with good people, people who are still at the company that bears his name.
With that said, I do understand certain attachments to designers but at the end of the day, it matters what they put out and how they put it out. I would hardly say Margiela puts out crap. In fact, I think the brand has done a fantastic job of staying relevant as well as continuing Margiela's overall vision. For instance I would hardly scoff at Burton's collections for McQueen knowing she isn't, well, McQueen.
The H&M collaboration poses a conundrum for most but I really don't see the problem. I didn't see a problem when Rei did it or when Lanvin did. It's an interesting venture for all of them that can yield some positive (or negative) results. But at the end of the day, like someone said above, you either buy it or you don't. I for one will for sure check it out and I've been following and buying/collecting Margiela's pieces since the 90's and I have no problem spending $150 on a peculiar car coat for my wardrobe as it's something I might want to have.

Last edited by Casius; 21-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.
22-06-2012
scenester

Margiela's goal was to make brand who's designer is not important(to put it shortly) but what happened when he left is just the opposite, I wonder what would happen if MMM wasn't sold to Rosso and if Margiela left anyways! haha

22-06-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casius View Post
You do understand that Jil Sander is owned by another company and is not private, right? As is the case for most brands now a days.
Also, what is wrong with Margiela's design team? These are the people, the designers that Margiela hired to assist and help him create. You seriously have to be in another dimension if you think one person does it all. Margiela was a great creative force, no question, but he surrounded himself with good people, people who are still at the company that bears his name.
With that said, I do understand certain attachments to designers but at the end of the day, it matters what they put out and how they put it out. I would hardly say Margiela puts out crap. In fact, I think the brand has done a fantastic job of staying relevant as well as continuing Margiela's overall vision. For instance I would hardly scoff at Burton's collections for McQueen knowing she isn't, well, McQueen.
The H&M collaboration poses a conundrum for most but I really don't see the problem. I didn't see a problem when Rei did it or when Lanvin did. It's an interesting venture for all of them that can yield some positive (or negative) results. But at the end of the day, like someone said above, you either buy it or you don't. I for one will for sure check it out and I've been following and buying/collecting Margiela's pieces since the 90's and I have no problem spending $150 on a peculiar car coat for my wardrobe as it's something I might want to have.
You do understand that without the designer himself at the helm, the collection already means much less to us, even though we are willing to accept the efforts of the team that's trying to keep the label alive? We are *trying* to accept the collections on their own merits, as long as there's some respect left for the designer's vision. However, this H&M sickening nonsense is the last straw. We just know that it isn't in MM's spirit to get into a such a "deal", a designer who abhors the commerce, the fashion limelight, the much ado about parties and attention seeking egos, especially when so many other designers have jumped on the wagon. Like you said, you either buy it or you don't. So go ahead and buy them, nobody's stopping anyone. Some of us won't, and we will speak our mind.

Last edited by Zazie; 22-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
22-06-2012
Stitch:the Hand

you know,it really rubs me the wrong way how some of you continue to paint us as being "difficult" or "unreasonable".....but if you've followed this guy and the work he contributed since the 90's you retain a great sense of faith and passion in what that label represents. so forgive us for not falling for it....forgive us for feeling like this is one giant red-marked slap in somebody's face. him and his devoted fans. sure,he's not at his label,but the point is,rosso could have at least retained some kind of respect and dignity that this label and its essence has garnered for the last 23 years. it's no different than what's happening to helmut lang right now....and yet i never see the amount of defense for that as i do margiela. instead,we continue to be made to look petulant and elitist.

and i disagree with you when you say that MMM doesn't put out crap these days. sorry but having purchased older pieces,the level of design and construction is banal at best. most of its half-hearted and gimmicky. and even since the day it was acquired by diesel everything right down to that numeral label cheapened....and it's cheapened even more since he left. probably the one area margiela fought tooth and nail while there to maintain.

Last edited by Scott; 22-06-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin