How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-09-2012
Blood On The Leaves

I was hoping for Tabi boots but after seeing this preview I'm only interested in coat. I would like that leotard too but only if it was plain (without that black part).

06-09-2012
V.I.P.

My Scan.

06-09-2012
fashion elite

WTF, no ads?

06-09-2012
backstage pass

I wish the men's stuff was in bigger pictures, the camel coat looks nice. Actually digging that reworked bikers jacket for woman hoping this comes to Portland, but I asked someone who works there and they said we probably won't be getting it.

Stitch:the Hand

personally if i want re-editions i would just search for vintage margiela in better quality,of which i do own a couple items.

not a bad concept,i suppose,but i just don't see how that will sell in this kind of market since so many typical H&M shoppers aren't familiar with the older aesthete. maybe had they done this as a lower priced bridge line under MMM it would make more sense.

06-09-2012
fashion insider

I like the mens more than the women's.

TWITTER:
07-09-2012
etre soi-meme

that pea_coat doesn't look too bad

07-09-2012
backstage pass

I seriously never would've thought I'd see a sock sweater or any of the iconic pieces reworked, so this collaboration didn't really touch me... up until now. I simply was convinced they'd just do something similar to MM6. It's a bittersweet feeling, and I'm afraid I won't be able to stay imune when it hits the stores.

07-09-2012
V.I.P.

My Scan

07-09-2012

i dunno,thinking more and more about that....am i the only one rather weirded out by sheer idea of re-issuing classic margiela signatures on this platform? one being that they are doing this whole endeavour in the first place but i also feel like they're kind of rubbing margiela's face in it by trickling down very original iconic pieces that were never meant to be replicated? they were meant to be special and unique.

it feels very gross and shallow to me.

07-09-2012
Some Like It Hot

^I concur.

I've known other designers re-issue iconic pieces in different mediums such as Fashion Fringe and their collaboration with Matches etc etc... but they did not sacrifice nor compromise anything in the process of re-issuing them, with H&M the materials are going to be considerably different in terms of quality, for me this spoils it, a re-issue shouldn't compromise anything and to me this is lazy.

Like Scott previously said, If I wanted vintage MMM I would hunt for the real deal, not a 'rip-off'.

V.I.P.

It's not a new idea here. Cavalli's collection featured re-issues of famous dresses. Kate Hudson's metallic strapless number, Britney's beaded dress and such. And they were idential to how they had originally appeared in the Cavali collection.

07-09-2012
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i dunno,thinking more and more about that....am i the only one rather weirded out by sheer idea of re-issuing classic margiela signatures on this platform? .
agreed this is one of the worst H&M collaborations yet, much worst than their CDG gig

07-09-2012

even though it's not a new idea,the point is that most of these pieces were originally very limited--particularly the pieces like the sock sweater--and were made to order as most involved a lot of handworking and recycling. you can't replicate those kinds of items when they're that specific. and just looking at that sweater again,it looks incredibly cheesy....the shape,the structure and even the the way the sleeve hangs....it just looks cheaply designed and made.

i'm just glad they didn't decide to re-work the dresses he did made from the material of dress forms.

Last edited by Scott; 07-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
07-09-2012
V.I.P.

i think we can start by saying that some people didn't come into the discussion with the most open mind. and i don't know what or who drove MMM to collaborate with H&M but since they did, and with MMM lacking something like a LOOK that gets repeated in every collection, re-editions is all they can do.

judgment on quality can't really be made imo until the pieces are next to one another, original vs re-edition.

people were surprised too by how well the Lanvin and Jimmy Choo pieces were made.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, maison, margiela, martin