How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba01
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a trunk show? lol
well we still don't know....
is it a show for people not invited to the show?! is it a show for buyers?! is it a show for people working at Marc Jacobs and that then decided what's gonna be in shops? what is it?

16-03-2007
V.I.P.

a trunk show is when the sample pieces some to a boutique and people can come see it, try it on, and pre order. Typically I believe it's appoitement only, though I'm not sure if you have to be a good customer or have purchased something from the store before.

16-03-2007
botanizing on the asphalt

Info on trunk shows here.

V.I.P.

Thanks, laika!

26-08-2007
windowshopping

the moon? the veil?
can someone please enlighten me about the "moon" pin?
is there a "half moon" trend? or maybe "half moon and a star"?
and how about the veil in the same outfit?

05-09-2007
front row

i love this collection, i finally started going through all the fall/winter shows ( i was feeling a lil cynical ) and was overall not seeing a good "collection" only cute pieces here and there, i do see the references to the 70s channeling the 30s art deco, a lil miu miu sensibility, and for the first time in a long while maybe ever i like this collection better than marc by marc which seemed a lil tired with the snowbunny schoolgirl thing, this shows a complete return to slim and chic tailoring and appropriateness, plus it's all very wearable and versatile, i should have known it would be good from the accessories i had been seeing in editorials, i can see how some think its too old but imagine the looks styled with more contemporary pieces, i think it works either way

trendsetter

I love this collection, too. One of the best A/W '07 - '08 shows, IMO.

Can't wait to see what he's got up his sleeve for S/S '08; I hope it'll be a continuation, rather than a departure.

06-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
It's still not hitting the right note for me.... It just doesn't seem 'Marc' to me. It's Miu Miu, Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, anything but Marc Jacobs. I guess I just got used to the last two seasons? Before Fall '06, Jacobs' collections looked a lot different than they do now. But what about his trademark! There's no grunge or layering anywhere!

Now I'm going to look at the accessories....

I know what you mean, but with respect, I don't think you can logically say this; 'doesn't seem Marc', as it obviously is, because he designed it! He was obviously influenced by other designers, but then, so are all designers.

He can't be expected to continue on the same path forever.

If you were saying, about an LV collection he designed, this; 'doesn't seem LV' that would be perfectly logical, as the designer in charge isn't Louis Vuitton, or any of the designers who gave LV its aesthetic.

But Marc is designing for his own line here, so however much of a departure it may be and however influenced he was, it is still utterly Marc!

Last edited by chloehandbags; 06-09-2007 at 01:15 AM.
06-09-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
wow..this is really uncalled for. overall..i like the 20s/art deco reference...im always a big 20s and art deco fan.
my favs have to be the cocktail dresses around the middle of the show...alot of the black ensembles were great.
i like this minimalistic route..but i think MJ should have done more with the coats in term of the cut. they look like what i can dig up in thrift stores...not a good sign.

Most successful trends involve items that resemble those you could dig up in thrift stores.

That's the whole point - just at the time that the last person to own a type of garment finally throws it away/donates it/dies of old age, the designers revive it!

The more dated and unattractive something looks today, the more likely that, tomorrow, it will be on all the runways (and in the case of Prada, it will already have been!)!

Fashion's cyclical, simple as that.

Last edited by chloehandbags; 06-09-2007 at 01:51 AM.
20-11-2007
the crying of humanity

Accessories

style.com

the crying of humanity

Accessories

style.com

Mr. Magic

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

Previous Thread | Next Thread »