How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-02-2011
Plain Ol' Beautiful

There are some hints of Prada in it, but mostly this is just very self-referential: typical Marc shapes, like the turtleneck and the wide pants ro the bulks sleeves or the midi-length skirt, you can find those in almost each and every one of his collection.
That being said, as a huge fan of Marc, this collection is great, but it's just not my cup of tea. It's too sinister and dark for me and I will have to give him a pass for next season. Though that blue coat is beyond gorgeous...
I liked the music, btw.

Last edited by ultramarine; 15-02-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: off topic discussion/model talk

15-02-2011
backstage pass

prada

V.I.P.

Ooh I want one of the little hats. This is a fantastic collection.
I love the dots and the lace. The boots are pretty kick *** too.
If we have to compare it then I guess I can see a teeny tiny bit of a Miu Miu feel but overall this is Marc.
Also is that a fur or valet cape? It's cool.

15-02-2011
chaos reigns

There are some clear Marc Jacobs references on the collection .. the hoodies and zippers and that particular shape on the shoulders for some coats .. its not boxy .. its like an old school fridge (I like it).

The problem with this collection is the one I keep having every season: Who is the Marc Jacobs woman? His collections are absolutely schizophrenic and I can not quite follow up to all the changes he does. There are some glimpses of Prada and Miumiu here and whatnot but those wellington boots/shoes are quintessential MJ.

As usual, everything is perfectly styled but I need more .. I always feel like I need something new ... where is it? Im rooting for you, Marc! I know you can do it!

PS After seeing the video, I know that the choice of music may come as shocking. But let me remind you that this is the Designers&Collections forum, to discuss MJ choices for the show, you are more than welcome to do so at the Art of Noise forum.

front row

the outfit on Shupei is the most ridiculous one i've ever seen

15-02-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
There are some clear Marc Jacobs references on the collection .. the hoodies and zippers and that particular shape on the shoulders for some coats .. its not boxy .. its like an old school fridge (I like it).

The problem with this collection is the one I keep having every season: Who is the Marc Jacobs woman? His collections are absolutely schizophrenic and I can not quite follow up to all the changes he does. There are some glimpses of Prada and Miumiu here and whatnot but those wellington boots/shoes are quintessential MJ.

As usual, everything is perfectly styled but I need more .. I always feel like I need something new ... where is it? Im rooting for you, Marc! I know you can do it!

PS After seeing the video, I know that the choice of music may come as shocking. But let me remind you that this is the Designers&Collections forum, to discuss MJ choices for the show, you are more than welcome to do so at the Art of Noise forum.
Well, I think his transitions make just enough sense to be slightly coherent yet are unpredictable enough to be interesting.

Also, I don't quite get these references previously in the thread to the Prada 09 and Marni 08 collections - or whatever - most references here are *decades* old.

15-02-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
The problem with this collection is the one I keep having every season: Who is the Marc Jacobs woman?
Ive been asking myself the same question, season after season...

15-02-2011
fashion elite

I feel very lost I feel that there was a tad too much going on, polka dots, lace, fur, those boots etc.

15-02-2011
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Well, I think his transitions make just enough sense to be slightly coherent yet are unpredictable enough to be interesting.

Also, I don't quite get these references previously in the thread to the Prada 09 and Marni 08 collections - or whatever - most references here are *decades* old.
Oh, yes! You are quite right about that ... he does it flawlessly.

And that lacey piece SCREAMS Prada .. if Im not feeling lazy Ill look up the garment most people seem to agree on the fact theyre very much alike.

And the MJ woman is .. who? Ms Coppola? Who? Is he gonna be able to define an identity just like YSL? (Im veering slightly off topic here .. Ill just grow quiet now) :p

V.I.P.

nice try marc! please later be more "creative" .. zzz..

V.I.P.

Gorgeous collection...you can always count on Marc for F/W; no matter how shaky his S/S shows are. I'm not too keen on the shoes but everything else is wonderful, particularly those mirror skirts.

15-02-2011
rising star

style.com

V.I.P.

i preferred it to last season. but that's not saying a lot

tfs star

good lord those boots are GLORIOUS

Plain Ol' Beautiful

Mostly I'd say that I'm very much a Marc Jacobs woman, as I feel more attached to him and his brand than any other designer.
What makes me buy his clothes a) a super-high wearability (No, it's true, what ends up in the stores is gorgeous), b) that it is always very grown-up, c) that he's not trying to sell me off as a sex kitten, d) that there are twists every season and a dress is not always just a dress.

I know how important a fixed identity is for a brand and that customers very much like to know what they can expect from a certain designer, but I think that is the special thing about the Marc Jaobs woman: Women change their style all the time - two years ago, I was permanently covered in ruffles and bows, then I had a phase where everything had to be super tight and clingy and then I had a super grandma-style - but Marc changes with them, without losing what makes him in the basis, the core values, so to speak (oh God, I know, my English...)
Though I have to admit that there have been collections that I despised with a passion: the eighties one, e.g., and I'm only lukewarm about this one here, too... But usually I count on him to hit the ball out of the park.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, jacobs, marc, york