How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2011
Some Like It Hot

*Vogue.co.uk

17-02-2011
Some Like It Hot

*Vogue.co.uk

Some Like It Hot

*Vogue.co.uk

trendsetter

i would expected such collection from LV, not from Marc Jacobs...

girl who fell to earth

comments from this thread were featured in tFS's NYFW coverage of the hits and misses of the day: http://www.thefashionspot.com/runway...y-5-forum-buzz

check it out to see if your review was featured!

17-02-2011
windowshopping

im not too thrill of his collection that it seems mesh up in one. the polka dot was the most improving patterns so far. but in the WWD interview, felt like he's all over the place that he has no idea what he is doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

18-02-2011
front row

I totally adore this collection! The color story, polka dots, everything looks amazing together!

18-02-2011
Alluring

Having given this collection a while, I just cannot help but absolutely love it. It's brilliant and the idea of twisted discipline is really fantastic.

Also, I'm obsessed with those boots, they're cosmic yet so amazing in such odd way

vogue.co.uk

18-02-2011
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
marc jacobs has set himself up as the new york answer to the milan collection of miuccia prada. they dress the same demographic of women, they jump from inspiration point to inspiration point without looking back, they both pride themselves on taking cues from the art world, and they both have worldwide empires and legions of loyal fans. in that way, the marc jacobs customer knows that no matter what, a marc jacobs skirt, a marc jacobs dress, a marc jacobs shoe, a marc jacobs top will always stun and surprise, but will always go on with ease and flatter to a fault.

while i see all of the reference points here, from the perforation we just saw at cynthia rowley by way of prada, to the architecture of balenciaga, to the japanese influence (that some say he borrowed from in spring/summer 2008), to the polka dots we've seen all over fashion, one must get one thing clear: marc jacobs revels in the mash up. he loves getting under the skin of everyone who takes fashion so seriously that they hold the canons of particular designers as sacrosanct as if those self-same designers don't borrow and re-work the wares of others. scroll back to the prada fall/winter 2008 lace collection, you'll find people comparing it to *shock/awe* louis vuitton, boudicca, christian dior, giambattista valli, anne valerie hash, and helmut lang. and when you saw the lace pieces in the stella mccartney collection and the dolce and gabbana collection, people said they saw the prada collection in it. but let's face it: NONE OF THESE DESIGNERS INVENTED LACE. no one these designers originally thought up to cut a dress out of it!

the genius of this collection remains that it flies in the face of every sacred cow we have in fashion right now. it's not minimal. it's not seventies. there's no hint of austerity or studio 54 or the amish or the yves saint laurent retrospective. and for that reason alone, it's fresh. find one big city woman who can't use an attention grabbing pencil skirt, a perfect pair of fashion pants, or any other number of the genius staples he put forward here. the only thing slightly off key were those boots, but they remain so out of step with the rest of fashion i'm sure they'll become must have in their own right.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. MJ is the NY response to Milan + Miuccia.

And yes, Jacobs does mix and takes trends and owns 'em incredibly! He's just one of the best and he does have a point of view.

The main issue is that even though she does it just like Jacobs by taking things and working them in her very own way ... to me MJ collections lack of something. Miuccia does play with specific eras and trends and the final product makes you respond both on an aesthetically and to an animic level. When you try on a Prada piece, (RTW, not Linea Rossa), you *feel* something. I dont know exactly how to put it ... but there's some nostalgia to it. Marc's stuff seems so new and modern .. probably I just dont know how to respond to it. And as I mentioned before, even though I *can* imagine who the Prada woman/customer is ... is MJ designing for starlets? Im not sure ... he baffles me conpletely!

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
Marc's stuff seems so new and modern .. probably I just dont know how to respond to it. And as I mentioned before, even though I *can* imagine who the Prada woman/customer is ... is MJ designing for starlets? Im not sure ... he baffles me conpletely!
if you can envision a youngish brunette pseudo-bohemian student/young mother/mrs. hedgefund wandering around the west village, you've pretty much have the perfect picture of the cult that obsesses over marc jacobs. starlets? of course, but also a large contingent of monied new york girls who wore marc by marc to elementary school and whose mothers wear prada.

V.I.P.

hit and miss!!

21-02-2011
rising star

I did not enjoy the shoes. Marc never really tickles my pickle much to be honest, but i overall enjoyed this

21-02-2011
fashion icon

so precious

24-04-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

well, the celebrity lot has already started wearing this collection....

(source: justjared.buznet.com)

windowshopping

i like some of the pieces like the pencil skirts and the crazy boots, but the overall collection didn't do it for me and i really didn't understand the polka dots. he played it too safe. and i know his collections can be a little all over the place, but the shapes and silhouettes of this season are still quintessentially marc. some great wearable pieces, but nothing too special.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, jacobs, marc, york