How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-02-2013
trendsetter

I hate this, and what's with the model in nothing but the hot pants, hiding her chest? Ridiculous.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

15-02-2013
tfs star

Loveeeeeed the set, amazing.

V.I.P.

In a season , when many designers are pushing tough, hard edged clothing. I like the simplicity of this, its not boring minimalism either, the clothes are very appealing to me. What I like about Marc, is that his shows inject clothes with even more emotion , giving them a sort of living quality to them.

15-02-2013
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco54 View Post
In a season , when many designers are pushing tough, hard edged clothing. I like the simplicity of this, its not boring minimalism either, the clothes are very appealing to me. What I like about Marc, is that his shows inject clothes with even more emotion , giving them a sort of living quality to them.
Completely agree. It's why I love what he does so much. It's what I also love about Miuccia Prada, and it's why I think both are so particularly powerful - they're both incredibly skilled at taking conventional dressing and making it somehow look so thoughtful, but never overworked or heavy handed.

I love that Marc's show notes describe each look in its most basic terms - pants, jacket, shoes. Perfect. He knows that ultimately, everything in this industry boils down to the simple fact that people have to wear these garments. So - instead of bogging down the actual clothes themselves with phony intellectualism (I'm looking at you, Proenza Schouler), Marc and Miuccia realize the potential and the power of a fashion show. Through casting, set design, lighting, hair, makeup, music, etc. they are able to lift these humble clothes out from reality and give us a story that is fascinating, challenging, intellectual and compelling. It's what makes people want to buy into their brands.

And the best part is when you see a woman wearing a Marc Jacobs or Prada piece incorporated into their everyday attire - and seeing how fantastic they look.

trendsetter

I'm not sure about this collection. I hate the ridiculous topless outfit but I love the simple but glamorous palette.

16-02-2013
V.I.P.

Full Show

Alluring

What a beautiful show. Even though whole thing might seem basic, I really loved the simplicity finished with fur accents. Together with the most amazing soundtrack it was just fantastic.

18-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
Yet again, another underdesigned piece of crap that'll get critically lauded for him being a brilliant genius. There is absolutely nothing special about this except for the fact that he's using Prada Fall 2009 as a design template, oops, I mean inspiration.
I sort of agree with this-- but I don't hate it-- certainly not as much as you seem too LOL

I think as a concept for a fashion story/editorial, this collection would work so very beautifully. As a collection, I feel it's just nice, maybe even good. We've seen all this before, and done more interestingly and with more verve: It just all looks like a compilation of very smart, simple and classic but embellished pieces pulled from other designers/ costumes/ stage wardrobes. I agree with GERGIN that there's obviously a Liza Minnelli-vibe to the styling and look of the girls (although they look more like a young Winona Ryder than Liza-- thankfully). It's all very dusty cabaret and decadent hungover showgirls and really quite charming if that's his intention. I don't see Bowie, Blade Runner or Dune inspirations at all-- and I'm a desperate Blade Runner fan. Marc is a decent enough designer if he keeps to a simple, classic American sportswear template but with an idiosyncratic twist, as he does here; it's only when he tries to be on the vanguard and complex that he always fails miserably.

It's too simple of a collection on first impression, but sequins on everything-- including pajama tops does has its charms and even a wittiness, I'll admit. It's definitely very wearable and size and shape-friendly. Quite clever, and even quite good as a collection.

18-02-2013
.my prison is your brain.

I keep coming back to admire this collection, it's so rock n' roll without being the literal black leather/spike & studded/cliche crap we've been seeing done over and over. I absolutely love it, so sensual and sexy.

18-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ I like the mix of rock 'n roll with ladylike. That juxtaposition is intriguing. And the sun...

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
20-02-2013
fashion insider

Just great collection! LOve Marc Jacobs!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, jacobs, marc, york