Marc Jacobs F/W 2018.19 New York - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

Marc Jacobs F/W 2018.19 New York

vogue.com

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

vogue.com

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

vogue.com

1 Week Ago
fashion elite

vogue.com

1 Week Ago
rising star

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

The worst of 80´s fashion condensed in one collection. Heavy, suffocating, ugly and dated.

1 Week Ago
rising star

An undeniable fashion moment. Exquisite!
I'm all for it, love it, the mood, the impactful styling, the dramatic presentation and, of course, the clothes and for me this is great thing about this collection, is all about the clothes and the bold and mysterious woman that MJ wanna wear.
Great job

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

And the category is: New Romantic Rive Gauche Replicant returns a purchase to 5 avenue Marceau ...

barcode

Absolutely gorgeous collection that is unequivocally, unabashedly about FASHION in the biggest, most forceful sense of the word. It's such a beautiful melange of haute 80s references, from Montana, to Mugler, to Ungaro, to YSL, to Lacroix, and the most timely of all, Alaia. Hell, I even see echoes of that iconic photograph that Nick Knight took of Susie Bick in Yohji Yamamoto where she's smoking in an aubergine coat and hiding behind her severe little bob.

At this point I've really come to depend on Marc for a true fashion fix. He's really one of the few designers working today who still seems to set out with the aim of designing a collection that at once tells you a story and shows you how you could dress, rather than one which merely borrows from what everyone is already wearing and offers a slightly tweaked version of it. It does what fashion should do; it dares you to try something different. I have no problems with the fact that this is very heavily '80s inspired, mostly because I think the '80s were arguably the last decade where you didn't have to look to couture or editorial/runway pieces in order to see designers really pushing fashion design to its limit. And truthfully, this is certainly no more literal than much of Gucci's runway output has been, and in fact, seems slightly more reasonable for people who don't live a life where one can always wear gobs of crystal embroidery.

Call it excessive, call it retro, call it out of touch with the cynical, uninspired moment we currently find ourselves stuck in, but it's a goddamn pleasure to look at and, I suspect, a pleasure to wear if one is lucky enough to do so.

Last edited by Spike413; 1 Week Ago at 08:27 PM.
1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Feel like I'm looking at a Galliano for Dior F/W 2004 when I see those big exaggerated coats. A lot of deconstruction to be performed for sure. I think I like it...

1 Week Ago
fashion insider

Now thats an answer! Work mother!

Absolutely stunning collection! I love the silhouette. 1981 drama... I live!

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

He's one of the only designers who still has fun with fashion and I love this for that. I suppose in theory there are some quite fugly things here but the oversize silhouettes, headwear and colours are all put together so fearlessly that it works. This really recalls some of his more leftfield outings of the past decade and the cool thing is that you know that these pieces will look really down to earth once taken off the editorial/runway pedestal.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I swear MJ would be the perfect replacement at YSL, this soooo YSL in the early 80s. Though early 80s inspired clothing is overkill now, Marc does it better than no other, that along with the 70s and gives it a different perspective. As well the colors and sharp tailoring, its beyond me why he is not at YSL. Also this collection also fits the MeToo movement, massive portions and sort of 40s gangster references ie powerful. Raf Simons should take some notes.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaude View Post
The worst of 80´s fashion condensed in one collection. Heavy, suffocating, ugly and dated.
Thank you! Did we need another 80s collection? And done by MJ? I think he started most of the pieces off nicely, but mucked it up towards finish. It's so overblown and excessive, in an 80s American way. Let's add more, let's make it bigger and bolder....it will mean better. The beauty of Galliano excess is that there's a point to his detail. There's wit. Marc's look like he did it just for the sake of it. The styling makes it look halfway decent imo.

Oh well, at least his clothes will be editorialised in VP without a doubt.....

1 Week Ago
trendsetter

Ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous, a perfect example of why this brand is irrelevant.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, jacobs, marc, york