Marc Jacobs on Oprah February 27, 2006 - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz
who are other designers that oprah had invited????
I can remeber Valentiono & Issac Mizrahi....

are there others?
what about Tom Ford??
Michael Kors
D&G when they made the clothes for a Whitney Houston tour

27-02-2006
army of lovers

Vera Wang
Esteban Cortizar(sp?) - young "amazing" kids show

27-02-2006
front row

I cant believe I missed it! I hope they play it again..

28-02-2006
rising star

I loved the look on Oprah's face when Marc made a joke about drug/alcohol use. It was priceless

28-02-2006
trendsetter

Can't wait till this is screened over here !

28-02-2006
V.I.P.

she invited narsisco rodriguez before also

rising star

"

Before Marc Jacobs became one of the most recognizable names in fashion, he was a fashion student at New York's acclaimed Parsons School of Design. His award-winning final project received a lot of press, but he was hardly an overnight success. For years, Marc and business partner Robert Duffy struggled, taking various jobs at places such as Perry Ellis, where Marc created one of the most critically slammed collections in history. After presenting that grunge-inspired collection, Marc and Robert were immediately fired. Eventually, Marc's grunge look caught on, but it was little consolation for the jobless duo.

Marc says he and Robert were finally able to set up a small studio where they could create their own collection. In 1997, Marc was approached by the world-renowned fashion empire, Louis Vuitton. Marc says he struck a deal with the company: He would become their creative director if they would help him and Robert continue what they love doing most—the Marc Jacobs line.

Marc's namesake line skyrocketed with his now classic Venetia bag. And the rest is fashion history.

Marc Jacobs's styles are considered the ultimate in cool, though the real Marc Jacobs—with his trademark glasses and Stan Smith sneakers—says he's got to be comfortable, and doesn't see himself as cool. "We're true to ourselves," Marc says of himself and business partner Robert. "We let the chips fall where they may."

When defining his idea of style and beauty, Marc considers a few of his close friends, like director Sofia Coppola, actress Kirsten Dunst and artist Elizabeth Peyton. "They're quite eclectic," says Marc. "We're all drawn to sort of the idea of naivete and the beauty in imperfection. … We like a gentler, more naive kind of casual, thrown-away style."

Marc describes the differences between designing for the French luxury house Louis Vuitton and his namesake line. "We work through inspirations and themes," Marc says. "Working on Marc Jacobs bags—it comes from a very personal place. Something more poetic. Sensitive. Casual. Urban."

Oprah shows off one of her favorite Marc Jacob's creations, a handbag designed for Louis Vuitton. "Louis Vuitton is more bling," says Marc. "It's more luxury, it's more about really unusual materials—the combination of those things—and working with the iconic monogram which has existed for a hundred and some-odd years. We had to update it and tweak it and make it desirable today."

In fact, Marc's bags are so desirable, they've sparked a knockoff frenzy. Marc says counterfeiting is "just wrong," but explains why he's flattered by all the fakes. "[T]o be involved in something, the creation of something, that's so desirable by so many, that people want to copy it—so that they can get it out there to more people—that is a flattering thing," says Marc. "To know that you've created something … that people covet."

Just three weeks before hitting the runway, Marc allowed our cameras behind the scenes at his SoHo studio as he prepared for fashion week in New York. The pressure is on as Marc's team works to snip, shape and stitch each garment. Much of Marc's day is spent sketching. He says it's a process of trial and error to capture the essence of his ideas on paper. Later, Marc will work with a fit model to get a better feel for how the clothes will look on the runway.

Today, the designs are in the muslin stage, a fabric that's like a blank canvas that allows Marc to see the shape before the expensive fabrics are used. Marc literally rips, pulls and tugs the muslin into shape. Then, it's back to the seamstress for another round of tweaks. This process goes on for weeks—sometimes right until minutes before the show.

There will be many late nights before show time, but Marc says he's living his dream. "Work is what really thrills me," he says. "The creation of things." Marc's latest creation fulfills another dream he's had since he was a teen—he opened his first store in Paris at the Palais Royale."

Oprah.com

28-02-2006
V.I.P.

^ So i guess i didn't miss anything...

28-02-2006
V.I.P.

I love that LV bag that he gave to Oprah...that was hot I wonder how much it costs

28-02-2006
scenester

I missed it unfortuneatly..but it hasn't seemed to be a big hit.

28-02-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
I love that LV bag that he gave to Oprah...that was hot I wonder how much it costs
OMGoodness, the bag was gorgeous!

28-02-2006
This is the Renaissance

I missed it too but have found a torrent on mininova.org which means there are probably torrents everywhere now. Yay!

About a year about I saw Marc on the NYC subway and when I finally got the nerve to say "hello" he could not have been nicer. Actually, he seemed a little flattered that someone recognised him and I couldn't believe he rides the subway!

28-02-2006
frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutxpaste
Did Marc show the new "Miss Marc" bags? If he did, the adorability in the room would be too much to contain.
what are those?

backstage pass

Quote:
who are other designers that oprah had invited????
I can remeber Valentiono & Issac Mizrahi....

are there others?
what about Tom Ford??

She brought Zac Posen on a long long time ago. It was the first time I had heard of and fell in love with him.

28-02-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKCHOCOLOViNG
OMGoodness, the bag was gorgeous!
its like 5 grand. its beautiful with the ostrich.....but it was a fall bag...I don't think you can get it anymore except ebay...

and there are real tiger eye stones...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2006, 27, february, jacobs, marc, oprah