How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2012
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
I don't understand this whole stripe trend, it had it's moment two years ago...
More like 46 years ago... with the stripes and the hair/makeup/eyebrows, this show seemed to me to be obviously inspired by/a tribute to Edie Sedgwick.

I found it entertaining though, and pleasantly trashy. I like the low-waisted skirts with short jackets and bare midriffs.

10-09-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
More like 46 years ago... with the stripes and the hair/makeup/eyebrows, this show seemed to me to be obviously inspired by/a tribute to Edie Sedgwick.

I found it entertaining though, and pleasantly trashy. I like the low-waisted skirts with short jackets and bare midriffs.
I just feel like NYFW is reviving a lot of trends from S/S11. Remember all the white? And the stripes were more popular in Europe yet a lot of designers are re-hashing it.

10-09-2012
chaos reigns

I saw this and immediately thought:

"Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!"

fashion insider

It kind of looks like he didn't even put much of an effort into a lot of the pieces. Other pieces looked over the top. For me, this collection was a miss.

V.I.P.

Oh Marc...why?

10-09-2012
barcode

I actually really like this. It's very him of the early-Aughts, taking vintage and making almost a caricature out of it. It's 60s, but in an almost clownish kind of way. And honestly, it feels much truer to what made him a big name to begin with. The lack of theatrics is a nice change of pace, honestly.

It's probably not destined to be my favorite collection of his, and I don't know that it'll wind up being among the best of the season, but I do like it.

10-09-2012
fashion icon

Major!!!!!

10-09-2012
V.I.P.

I really hope those low waisted skirts don't trend. It looks so vile even on the models who have the body for it.

10-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post

Oh definitely Edie - first thing I thought of. She was "the girl in the black tights" with no bottoms! Just tights and a top, and the model wearing that look even had the short silvered hair.

I also like your phrase "pleasantly trashy" LOL! :p Somewhat of an oxymoron. Weirdly, too, I think MJ would like it.

Wolkfolk, cool idea about the bar code!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 10-09-2012 at 11:12 PM.
10-09-2012
V.I.P.

ehh n they said he is one of the major desingers from NY. there is nothing major/new about this. just about the same thing of every other Designer from NY. not feeling this at all.

backstage pass

I want to like Marc Jacobs but this is really bad. I haven't loved a collection of his since spring 2007 back when he did pretty vintage things. This is just ugly vintage.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I actually really like this. It's very him of the early-Aughts, taking vintage and making almost a caricature out of it. It's 60s, but in an almost clownish kind of way. And honestly, it feels much truer to what made him a big name to begin with. The lack of theatrics is a nice change of pace, honestly.

It's probably not destined to be my favorite collection of his, and I don't know that it'll wind up being among the best of the season, but I do like it.
Completely agree. This felt very Marc Jacobs. No crazy theatrics, nothing that took away from the clothes. I forgot where I read this (I think the FB MJ page), but Marc really wanted to convey that you can be sexy without showing an excessive amount of skin. Honestly, I agree. Some dresses had those sexy cutouts in the back, the bare legs, the almost tight hugging striped gowns..it all had a quite subtle sexiness without being vulgar. I loved that someone brought up Edie Sedgwick. The mod 60s/Edie look was absolutely present here, but with Marc's spin. Nostalgic and quirky.

V.I.P.

Are you freaking serious Marc? The pattern is just make me headache!

front row

HQs

vogue.it

11-09-2012
front row

vogue.it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, jacobs, marc, s or s, york