How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

Marc by Marc Jacobs Discontinued
Quote:
Under dynamic duo Katie Hillier and Luella Bartley, Marc by Marc Jacobs has gotten a shot of streetwise energy — but positive press notwithstanding, the label is rumored to be near its end. Women's Wear Daily reports that the secondary line is to be folded into the company's higher-priced main collection, which will now "encompass a range of merchandise and price points" and "unify all products with a clarity of voice and aesthetic," per the report. No mention was made of Hillier and Bartley's involvement, but we've reached out to the company for a statement and will update this when we hear back.
nymag

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Oh ... even if I didn't like the style of the collections, I think it had a true identity and a meaning to the fashion scene. sad news, but let's wait for official news.

front row

So he is going for the Dolce & Gabbana route.
MBMJ was a mess with Katie & Luella. I love them but their designs were too different from what Marc was/is and it looked like a totally different brand.
Good news for Marc Jacobs IMO.

1 Week Ago
Stitch:the Hand

maybe because people realized half of what came out of this incarnation of the label they either already owned or could have owned by other designers. it was a rip-off. nobody wanted any of it unless it were the label hounds. i also think since its inception it was really really trend-oriented,kitschy.....personally i don't think people are shopping for that anymore,with the economics of the world,especially the fashion industry. i think the same shopper that originally went to MBMJ is not the same shopper that we have today. they've grown up,evolved and want designer clothes that are more timeless and lasting not something disposable for a season or two.

1 Week Ago
scenester

Oh, I used to like their collections and this news makes me really sad. Even if they had been "designing" rip-offs, those rip-offs were cool and had some kind of identity and attitude.

1 Week Ago
flaunt the imperfection

it's kind of striking how irrelevant MJ has become...

1 Week Ago
windowshopping

About time! if Katie and Luella were meant to improve sales for the brand they totally went the wrong way about it, its all great having friends in the industry saying how great the new MBMJ is/was, but in reality it was a mess. What we saw at the main Marc Jacobs Fall collection just gone was great, if that is indication of where the brand is going, it can only be a good thing.

Hell on Heels

well, this is kinda sad. it was never a groundbreaking brand, and i've never been a fan of whatever they showed in runway collections, but i own quite a few basic, daytime dresses and shoes and i've always been satisfied with my purchases.

Last edited by mistress_f; 1 Week Ago at 03:51 PM.

1 Week Ago
tfs star

Sales must be horrible. They wouldn't shut it down for nothing.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Wow. I used to love this brand and own many pieces from past collections (when Marc was still at the helm). Sad news but I'm definitely interested to see how the new Marc Jacobs brand will evolve.

1 Week Ago
front row

Used to generate 'iconic' bags in its heydays, Marc has always been good at creating buzz. Not since he left.
Never liked much the line, glad that it is folding.

1 Week Ago
Power to the 99%

Wow. Had a skirt some years ago I really loved, but the line has been too young for me for awhile. Will be interesting to see how the main line evolves ... but I don't buy it anymore either

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

One of my all time favorite purchases is actually a Marc by Marc tunic I got many years ago and that doesn't look or feel a day old but is still not a basic, it's heavy (almost like a jacket but it's a tunic, and so rich in texture and shades of brown). Even now I will sometimes take a look at the collections and find things I would so get. Meanwhile I don't even remember what his latest collection (main line) looks like.. he should've discontinued that one.

rising star

I used to always look at Marc Jacobs as soon as the photos came out, now I don't even think about it. I'm sure it's not because the collection has changed or become less of what it was before, it's just that now, without the whole Vuitton Magic it feels less vital. Sad really, but it makes me realize how much of how I perceive fashion has to to with (supposed) importance.

If what they are showing under Saint Laurent was called some unknown name I would never have bothered to look at it again after the first season.

1 Week Ago
Stitch:the Hand

if he would kind of go back to basics a bit,his work might make some sense again in this climate. i think since that CdG wannabe collection a few seasons ago,a lot of what he's done recently has been rather desperate. he should bring back some of that simplicity because no one in NY did that better and cooler than he did.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discontinued, jacobs, marc