How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

I like the cropped wide pants and some of the use of colour. The prints I have mixed feelings about, and I am not sure I like the shiny section - maybe taking the pieces individually I'd like them more.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

12-02-2013
backstage pass

While still being simple and very wearable this collection feels a bit more inspired than his recent collections. I like the color scheme, the mood, the bags... Many individual pieces that would be nice to have. I agree that the trousers aren't that good though.

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

Now this is cute! It's been a while.

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

One of my fave Marc by Marc collections ever the colours, the hair, the styling! I love everything about it

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
Nice collection, I did feel some DvF here.
Definitely, especially with those tight, printed dresses.
Tbh, it's just another mbmj collection that I'll forget about in a couple of days. I haven't liked a collection from the label since F/W 2008. Sigh.

V.I.P.

At the price point of M by MJ , these clothes and esp the accessories are quite luxurious, the dresses, bag, shoes and shades

13-02-2013
backstage pass

Party-pooper here-- it's just all smart styling here to me, the clothes are very plain-jane designs from circa 1984 American Vogue at best... at it's most practical, it's all very "Vogue Pattern" or whatever those generic patterns are named at sewing stores back in the 80s.

Take away the retro-styling and beautiful models, and these are any-brand department store clothes. The cut and fit is sloppy-- the men's are particularly heinous in their cut and design. If I really anted to make the effort to dress like this, I can easily cobble the exact look together at the Salvation Army, or any thrift store. And this line isn't exactly luxe investment pieces that it's worth the pricepoint. As much dislike Marc: the biggest hype in fashion history, I'm not going to hate him for this since he probably didn't even design it.

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

If thrift shops and salvation armies carried dresses like this, there would be many many happy women in this world. Marc by Marc Jacobs was never a luxurious, but this collection has many pieces that evoke it.

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Party-pooper here-- it's just all smart styling here to me, the clothes are very plain-jane designs from circa 1984 American Vogue at best... at it's most practical, it's all very "Vogue Pattern" or whatever those generic patterns are named at sewing stores back in the 80s.

Take away the retro-styling and beautiful models, and these are any-brand department store clothes. The cut and fit is sloppy-- the men's are particularly heinous in their cut and design. If I really anted to make the effort to dress like this, I can easily cobble the exact look together at the Salvation Army, or any thrift store. And this line isn't exactly luxe investment pieces that it's worth the pricepoint. As much dislike Marc: the biggest hype in fashion history, I'm not going to hate him for this since he probably didn't even design it.
I whole-heartedly agree with this, only you said it infinitely more articulate than I ever could. On a positive note, Lindsey Wixson looks amazing in this show.

14-02-2013
backstage pass

^^^Yay, party-pooper of two! Lindsey does late-70s and early-80s very well; she was born to wear feathered-hair.

disco54: But you can easily find these types of designs readily available at most department stores. And some Salvation Army and Goodwill locations here in Toronto carry unworn designer pieces from seasons past; CDG Shirt and vintage Claude Montana have been found at some of these locations.

And if you have the time and willing to look, even in thriftstores-- and if the piece is in good condition, the construction and quality is probably better than Marc's. I have vintage pieces from the late-60s and early 70s that I wear that are still in great condition. Pieces, even mass-produced ones from those times are definitely leagues above and beyond the terrible quality and construction of today's fast-fashion brands like Zara and TopShop, and to me, Marc by MJ.

Point is, The womens' looks all resemble literal translation-- not interpretation, of the type of styles and designs from mass-market 1984 fashion that were the standards at any given mall-- complete with the ill-fit. As for the mens', it's department-store type clothes that's been around since the mid-90s, and so bland and inexcusably ill-fitting I can, in all seriousness, pull these looks from any department store. If they wanted to do shiny and matte, it was lazy-- Narciso did it much much better; If they wanted to do 80s-silhouette-- Proenza Schouler did it splendidly. This Marc collection succeeded at bringing designs that department stores are already carrying...

16-02-2013
front row

I miss the first collections of Marc line.afterwards these are not as grungy and street style and cool as it was years ago.

19-02-2013
fashion insider

Lovely as always.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, jacobs, marc, york