How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2013
trendsetter

Marco Zanini appointed Creative Director of Schiaparelli *Update* Leaving the House
His first collection will be in January.

From W Magazine November 2013. Hopefully the full article hits their site soon.

23-10-2013
fashion insider

January? Are they referring to couture?

_____

^ Yup.

"Zanini is taking on Schiaparelli’s couture and prêt-à-couture (its version of ready-to-wear) immediately for Haute Couture Fashion Week in January."
via BOF

Times interviewed him regarding it, unfortunately, it's not free.

24-10-2013
Wanderlust

Interesting.

24-10-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
^ Yup.

"Zanini is taking on Schiaparelli’s couture and prêt-à-couture (its version of ready-to-wear) immediately for Haute Couture Fashion Week in January."
via BOF

Times interviewed him regarding it, unfortunately, it's not free.
That means the first was the last of Lacroix at Schiaparelli?

24-10-2013
backstage pass

good news.

No One Does It Like You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koibito View Post
That means the first was the last of Lacroix at Schiaparelli?
yes. his was a just a one-off collection.

Mr. Magic

Quote:
BE MY GUEST: Schiaparelli, which recently named Marco Zanini its creative director, headlines new names on the official calendar for the next couture week in Paris, scheduled for Jan. 20 to 23. On Tuesday, the Chambre Syndicale elected Schiaparelli as a new guest member, along with Serkan Cura and Ralph & Russo.

Cura, a Belgian national of Turkish origin, has been showing his feathery creations off-calendar since January 2012. Ralph & Russo is a couture house based on Sloane Street in London.
wwd.com

20-11-2013
_____

W November 2013

streeters

03-11-2014
fashion elite

Fashion is a complete joke as of late...

Quote:
ZANINI DEPARTURE RUMORED: Could Marco Zanini already be eyeing the door at Schiaparelli? Sources say the designer is unhappy at the storied brand, owned by Diego Della Valle. The entrepreneur, chairman and chief executive officer of Tod’s Group, tapped Zanini as Schiaparelli’s creative director at the end of September last year. According to one source, Zanini feels the label “is not exactly his fit.”

His first couture collection for Schiaparelli, presented in Paris in January, received critical plaudits. Channeling the witty and innovative Italian designer Elsa Schiaparelli herself, in March, Zanini presented his first “prêt-à-couture” collection for the brand, sold exclusively at Schiaparelli’s Place Vendôme salon and offering levels of service similar to couture.

The Milan-born Zanini was previously the designer of Rochas. He cut his teeth at Versace, logged a two-year stint at Halston, and had also worked at Dolce & Gabbana and Lawrence Steele. Asked about the speculation he was leaving the label, Zanini said he does not comment on rumors, while Schiaparelli officials could not be reached for comment.
wwd

03-11-2014
front row

Deja? I have to say that i don't understand the strategy behind Schiaparelli. Maybe they have to bring Lacroix back.

04-11-2014
Stitch:the Hand

yeah this schiap revival is beginning to remind me an awful a lot like what was happening with the revival of vionnet for a while. maybe they need new leadership? seems since goga acquired that house,it's been a bit more stable. perhaps a bit early at this stage but we shall see in the coming seasons.

07-11-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Marco Zanini and Schiaparelli Part Ways

It's official: Schiaparelli and Marco Zanini are parting ways. Earlier this week, it was reported that the Italian designer was unhappy at the French couture house. This morning, the Diego Della Valle-owned company released an announcement that Zanini would be leaving, effective immediately, after presenting just two couture collections for the label." The House of Schiaparelli is looking towards its future while transcending the aesthetic codes created by Elsa Schiaparelli," the statement read. "It follows a dynamic where a contemporary spirit meets its founder’s daring personality." It went on to state that a new creative director will be announced soon. ​

"I was so afraid about touching the legacy, because camp is a trap that is always around the corner with Schiaparelli," Zanini told Style.com in July. "But I realized if I wanted to find the look, I cannot avoid going there, so why don't I go there full-on?" After a somewhat more tentative excursion in January, that's exactly what he did in July: whipping up a 1930s evening dress in a "Central Park" print of squirrels and rats, cutting fur coats with shoulders out to there, making sure his pink was as shocking as Schiap's always was, and otherwise indulging his eccentricities. It wasn't safe, and some criticized it for being too literal, but it was engaging, in a way that has gone missing from the couture collections lately.

There was talk as early as March of Schiaparelli making the move into ready-to-wear, but that never came to pass.

Zanini was at Rochas for five years before joining Schiaparelli.
style

Ugh you really can't get excited about anything in this industry anymore...

we are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
07-11-2014
backstage pass

sigh
i liked his first collection for schiaparelli and loved what he did at rochas. i'm sure he'll be alright i just wish he was still at rochas, because that turned into a mess now.

anyway i don't think DDV has any clue what to do with schiaparelli.
i wish he'd just let it dormant because its identity is too strong and i don't see how that identity can be relevant for the time we're living in.

07-11-2014
Fat Karl

Olivier Theyskens? That or bring back Christian Lacroix!

Can't imagine who else would be a good fit. I'm tired of fashion shuffling around and giving head designer positions to these "designers" who have little to no real, strong identity. Marco Zanini, Peter Copping, Chris Benz, Jason Wu, Nadege Vanhee, Guillaume Henry, the guy at Jil Sander, the woman at Sonia Rykiel...it's just a lot of nothing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
appointed, creative, director, house, leaving, marco, schiaparelli, update, zanini