How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-04-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by faust+Apr 9th, 2004 - 7:58 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ Apr 9th, 2004 - 7:58 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pennyfei@Apr 9th, 2004 - 12:11 am
Glad to hear that since I am a big fan of both, especially Mr. Williamson.
Mr. Margiela deserves far more credit than he does today!
I think he has all the credit in the world in certain circles. you don't expect designer like him to be in Vogue, but those "in the know" swoon over him for many years now. I personally think his fame is overrated in those circles, but that's just me [/b][/quote]
I wouldn't disagree with that wholeheartedly. Especially his menswear. It really isn't something that's spectacular to me as a whole-and seems what everyone goes mad about. His women's collections are far better to me. But you can't rely on my opinion since I don't really have a particular fetish for menswear

10-04-2004
etre soi-meme

even though i admire MMM, a recent browse through his Paris shop (SS04 season ) left me ..slightly dissapointed

10-04-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 10th, 2004 - 2:31 am
even though i admire MMM, a recent browse through his Paris shop (SS04 season ) left me ..slightly dissapointed
That's what some die-hards have said(you know who). Some have even said the oustanding quality that's synonymous has crept down below par since his partnership with Diesel.

10-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Apr 10th, 2004 - 2:28 pm
That's what some die-hards have said(you know who). Some have even said the oustanding quality that's synonymous has crept down below par since his partnership with Diesel.
there was something missing in this ss04 collection, i hate to admit but i agree, the whole MMM's strategy has indeed taken a turn following the Diesel contract

10-04-2004
scenester

Thank you all for posting those cool shops in London! I'm gonna be in London at the end of May...

10-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Apr 10th, 2004 - 6:39 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Apr 10th, 2004 - 6:39 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Apr 10th, 2004 - 2:28 pm
there was something missing in this ss04 collection, i hate to admit but i agree, the whole MMM's strategy has indeed taken a turn following the Diesel contract [/b][/quote]
really you think so? I quite like the MMM I have seen this season, the quality i doun't know may be less but I liek the design

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu+Apr 10th, 2004 - 4:52 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Apr 10th, 2004 - 4:52 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 10th, 2004 - 6:39 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Scott
Quote:
@Apr 10th, 2004 - 2:28 pm

there was something missing in this ss04 collection, i hate to admit but i agree, the whole MMM's strategy has indeed taken a turn following the Diesel contract
really you think so? I quite like the MMM I have seen this season, the quality i doun't know may be less but I liek the design [/b][/quote]
I liked some fabrics he picked for men's this season - but the design is essentially the same. I understand his idea of building an idea of permanence into a man's wardrobe, but I can't shake off the feeling of sameness (don't want to say boredom out of respect for MMM) after following his collections for years...

12-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Apr 10th, 2004 - 8:39 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Apr 10th, 2004 - 8:39 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Apr 10th, 2004 - 2:28 pm
there was something missing in this ss04 collection, i hate to admit but i agree, the whole MMM's strategy has indeed taken a turn following the Diesel contract [/b][/quote]
i still like it, but i understand the quality issue...i believe that the quality may have been taken down a notch in order to keep the prices affordable...i know other designers who are exploring this as an option...different fabrics...different finishes..different manufacturing facilities...all in an effort to keep costs down so the prioduct will sell more quantities...

i quite like everything i've seen in stores for spring of course, i'm only speaking of the women's collection...

12-04-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Apr 10th, 2004 - 9:28 am
That's what some die-hards have said(you know who).
Who! Who! Who!

12-04-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed+Apr 12th, 2004 - 2:26 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Apr 12th, 2004 - 2:26 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Apr 10th, 2004 - 9:28 am
Who! Who! Who! [/b][/quote]

Just a mutual friend of Lena's and mine who lives at the MM racks of Barney's. She's been a bit disappointed lately and frankly this is someone who is OBSESSED with MM.

12-04-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott+Apr 12th, 2004 - 4:16 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott @ Apr 12th, 2004 - 4:16 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 12th, 2004 - 2:26 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Scott
Quote:
@Apr 10th, 2004 - 9:28 am

Who! Who! Who!

Just a mutual friend of Lena's and mine who lives at the MM racks of Barney's. She's been a bit disappointed lately and frankly this is someone who is OBSESSED with MM. [/b][/quote]
barney's has always had a poor selection of his clothes...though...very few pieces...IF in soho has a better grouping and now 7...maybe you could suggest that your friend check these other outlets...

12-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 12th, 2004 - 4:24 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 12th, 2004 - 4:24 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Apr 12th, 2004 - 4:16 pm
Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 12th, 2004 - 2:26 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Scott
Quote:
Quote:
@Apr 10th, 2004 - 9:28 am

Who! Who! Who!

Just a mutual friend of Lena's and mine who lives at the MM racks of Barney's. She's been a bit disappointed lately and frankly this is someone who is OBSESSED with MM.
barney's has always had a poor selection of his clothes...though...very few pieces...IF in soho has a better grouping and now 7...maybe you could suggest that your friend check these other outlets... [/b][/quote]
It's high time Barney's hired me as their buyer, really!
IF is the original MMM rep in the States - they definitely have the biggest collection (and it's their bread and butter, along with Ivan Grundhal).

Steven Alan also expanded his MMM selection, although it's all second line.

A. peeps told me they were thinking about carrying him, but I begged them not to

12-04-2004
front row

Ohhhh I LOVE Matthew Williamson!
But his clothes are so hard to get in US >_<
Hope there'll be a boutique real soon in US!!

sooo...i checked out both stores this weekend...the margiela store was so incredibly cool...i signed the wall too... ...the store is two small floors...but they carry all of the different lines...the sales staff is just lovely...very cool and chill...and the second floor is just a mass of skylights so it feels like being in an airy attic...very cool...and in the mmm style...all the furniture and display cases are old furniture which has been given a new purpose and painted white...just lovely...(i bought a bunch of stuff because i needed something to remember the place by...)

on the other end of the spectrum is matthew williamson, just around the corner...it is also beautiful in a much more colourful and shiny kind of way...it reminded me of mardis gras...and there is a huge atrium toward the back of the store -all glassed in with huge plants and a single mannequin wearing a red/coral dress...she looks like she's in the jungle amid all the foliage...it all had a very tropical feel to it...the clothes were very pretty and girly and sexy...and pricey... ...lovely, but not for me...

i highly recommend a visit to them bot but martin margiela was a special highlight!

also worth checking out-B store down the road...all young new designers and shoes...
they have the designer's they carry do the window displays and it just happened that boudicca had done the current one... it was like an art installation...beautiful...anyone who's in london should check it out before they take it down...

11-05-2004
V.I.P.

I just received your reply to the PM, and was wondering, has anyone else signed the wall?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, margiela, williamson