Maria Grazia Chiuri Named Artistic Director of Christian Dior - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-07-2016
V.I.P.

Maria Grazia Chiuri Named Artistic Director of Christian Dior
Quote:
Maria Grazia Chiuri has been confirmed as the new artistic director at Christian Dior, replacing Raf Simons who departed the label in October 2015. Chiuri, who is Dior's first female artistic director, previously headed up the womenswear collections at Valentino alongside her co-designer Pierpaolo Piccioli since 2008.

Chiuri is to start next week as artistic director of women's haute couture, ready-to-wear and accessory collections with her first show slated for September 30.

"It is a great honour to be joining the house of Dior," said Chiuri in a statement. "I measure the tremendous responsibility of being the first woman in charge of the creation in a house so deeply rooted in the pure expression of femininity. The endless wealth of its heritage continues to be a constant source of inspiration for fashion, and I cannot wait to express my own vision."

Piccioli - with whom Chiuri has enjoyed a creative partnership with for over two decades since meeting in the late Eighties and studying at the Istituto Europeo di Design in Rome together - will remain at Valentino, where he will take the sole reins as creative director.

"I am thrilled to welcome Maria Grazia Chiuri in the house of Christian Dior," said Sidney Toledano, president and CEO of Christian Dior Couture. "Her vision of women, both sensual and poetic, resonates with that of Monsieur Dior. Her expertise in the art of couture and her passion for craftsmanship will be in perfect harmony with the exceptional know-how of our ateliers."

Today's news brings to an end the rumour mill surrounding the post, which hasn't abated since Simons's unexpected deaprture after three years in the role. Among those previously associated with the role was Alexander McQueen creative director, Sarah Burton.
vogue.co.uk

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
08-07-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Sidney Toledano: 'Expect a New Dior'
Dior Couture chief executive Sidney Toledano speaks to BoF on why Maria Grazia Chiuri was the best choice to align the house with ‘the needs of the women of today and tomorrow — globally.’

PARIS, France — When Sidney Toledano first met Maria Grazia Chiuri, he knew she was the right woman to take over the helm at Christian Dior as artistic director and lead the French fashion house into a new era.

“She’s very straightforward and a direct person and so, frankly, the first time I met her, I knew that she was the one,” the chief executive of Dior told BoF in an interview before the official announcement on Friday morning, noting Chiuri’s previous experience at Valentino and Fendi, as well as her clear vision of who the Dior woman was.

"We were talking about the vision of the woman of today, of tomorrow, of the young generation. The woman in different occasions — when she works, when she is shopping, when she is going for a cocktail or dinner. She has a global experience and big intuition, at the same time she is really pragmatic and the way she talks about it, it is very clear," Toledano said.

The appointment of Chiuri was announced early on Friday, finally ending months of speculation over who would take the creative helm of the brand after the sudden departure of Raf Simons last year. Valentino officially confirmed the departure of Chiuri on Thursday, appointing Pierpaolo Piccioli the brand's sole creative director.

Chiuri joins Dior at a difficult time for the luxury sector. In the first quarter of 2016, ending March 31, the brand’s fashion division reported a 1 percent drop in reported sales, hit by a drop in tourist flows to Paris and several major Asian markets. Dior generates around €5 billion in annual sales (around $5.53 billion), of which more than three-fifths comes from perfume and cosmetics. LVMH chairman and chief executive Bernard Arnault has said he expected to achieve a similar figure in 2016.

The designer will be responsible for women’s haute couture, ready-to-wear and accessory collections and will present her first ready-to-wear collection for the brand on September 30.

“Maria Grazia Chiuri’s talent is enormous and internationally acclaimed,” Arnault said in a statement. “She will bring her elegant and modern vision of the Dior woman, seamlessly attuned to the heritage and the codes defined by Monsieur Dior.”

Chiuri’s appointment is a significant move for the French fashion house, as she will become the first woman in its history to hold the artistic director title.

“To dress a woman is more important than ever today. The evolution of women is a special evolution and her vision and how she wants to transform it is really interesting,” Toledano said. "Because she’s a woman and she has a different perspective on what she is going to do and it played an important part. I was looking for somebody that was deeply understanding the needs of a woman of today and tomorrow globally."

Toledano added that Chiuri's “hands-on experience” of designing accessories will also be important in the next chapter of Dior, a subject close to his heart. He played an instrumental role in launching the Lady Dior bag, now one of the house's best-selling icons.

“She has knowledge and understanding and for the accessories I have somebody now that has direct experience with the bags and shoes and this is really important. This is what we want to give to Dior, and so she will be very involved in that,” he continued.

But customers should not expect the same Dior, he said. “It will be different. We have our codes, absolutely, and we have our values about the excellence, the savoir-faire, the silhouette. But Dior is also a house where you have to take l’air du temps and project it for the future.”

“I think she will translate it with her own eyes, in a different way and the fact that she is woman, we expect this translation in the coming collections. It’s not a constant look and she will have to put her own way to [how to] do it. The codes of Dior, they exist but they are not so [strict], you can play with them. This is something that Raf did and John [Galliano] did before, so there are some codes, but we expect her to bring something into the evolution of the brand," Toledano said.

Looking forward, Toledano said he felt proud and was excited to introduce Chiuri to the company and its teams.

“I’m really happy myself to introduce her to the teams, to the studios, very proud of that. This is a big moment,” he said.
businessoffashion

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
08-07-2016
fashion elite

It's a good news because she knows Couture and world around it, she knows the clients, the lifestyle and at Valentino (they) she has managed to turn the house around and make it successful.

I think she will be clever enough to not replicate what she did at Valentino so i'll wait until September 30.

Dior is in such a bad shape both in terms of brand image and creativity that she could not do worse than what is happening now.

Good luck Maria Grazia!

08-07-2016
fashion elite

I'm with a lot of hope in this Union, so let's go!

V.I.P.

talking candidly with my SA at Dior, she told me that a lot of customers were unhappy about how 'unglamorous' Raf's Dior was. so i guess Maria should know a thing or two about embellished frocks.

01-07-2017
V.I.P.

Don't really know if this is the right place to ask but does someone know what LVMH is planning to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Dior house?

I know they will release an anthology with 7 books for each creative director (https://www.lvmh.com/news-documents/...h-anniversary/) and that an exhibition is opening next week at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs (http://www.latimes.com/fashion/la-ig...425-story.html)
but I'm scared of what Maria Grazia is going to do, show-wise...

01-07-2017
V.I.P.

Maria Grazia has been the CD for less than a year, how are they going to fill up an entire tome of her work for the house? Will it be the size of a pamphlet?

trendsetter

anyone know where to watch the Inside Dior documentary online? used to be in youtube but was taken down...thanks??

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
Maria Grazia has been the CD for less than a year, how are they going to fill up an entire tome of her work for the house? Will it be the size of a pamphlet?
LOL!!! Exactly. If I was her I'd graciously decline to have a book to cover my very short run, but we both know she's very hungry for these kind of things. Part of the reason we got ambushed by this senseless documentary.

I'm keen to see how it will pan out. John will need a lot of pages to fully cover his tenure, Raf probably not that much.

03-07-2017
backstage pass

^Marc Bohan will need more pages than John for his 30 years

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artistic, chiuri, christian, dior, director, grazia, maria, named