How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-09-2012
fashion insider

Marios Schwab S/S 2013 London
src:nowfashion

16-09-2012
fashion insider

16-09-2012
fashion insider

16-09-2012
fashion insider

16-09-2012
fashion insider

16-09-2012
fashion insider

16-09-2012
fashion insider

16-09-2012
V.I.P.

So unflattering and messy... and so many fringes I usually appreciate his collections for being very sexy and cleverly done but this looks awkward. I think the top part often doesn't match the bottom part of the dress and the material mixes are weird. I don't really like anything here!

16-09-2012
fashion insider

Can someone fix the title of the thread? I can't type the capital letter 'l' from my keyboard. Thanks.

16-09-2012
V.I.P.

Yikes. What's going on with Marios Schwab? It seems like he's abandoned all of his strong points. This is all over the place. That blue embroidered top dress with the sheer black panels above a nude skirt is especially hideous.

16-09-2012
fashion insider

This is such a letdown after last season. There are a few nice pieces but I think the shoes ruin everything.

fashion elite

this is kind of a disaster. i'm pretty let down.

17-09-2012
doldrums

Fringe overload. The sheer dress had great potential and the fringes don't look like they belong on it and like it was just sewed there for whatever reason.

20-09-2012
backstage pass

September 16, 2012

LONDON

By Tim Blanks
Marios Schwab's ability to insinuate elements of his Greek heritage into his clothes is impressive. The quotes from classical dress in his show today were already part of his design signature. New was the inspiration he took from the bee, whose honey has fueled Greek culture lo these long millennia. "I've always been mesmerized by bees," Schwab admitted backstage. He found in their humble industriousness a necessary reminder of the vital nurturing connection between nature and human nature, and that Nat Geo notion was really the foundation of a collection that aimed at celebrating the tribal, the ritual, the mythic.

Cha O Ha was the title Schwab gave it, which was, he said, Navajo for "in the wilderness." The Navajo and the Amazons seemed to be reference points for him. The fringing, the lacing, the slashed suedes had something of the frontier about them. The raffia felt more rain forest. The harness detailing in leather or Swarovski crystal suggested Amazon princesses. Then there was all the pleating, which echoed the chiton of ancient Greece. And don't forget the bees. Their honeycomb was a recurring visual motif. Often, all these elements came together in one outfit. It was too much. And when Schwab pleated soft, shiny skins colored in vivid shades of pink and blue, they injected an additional incongruity, looking like nothing so much as sheets of Plasticine laid across the body.

Schwab thinks. He has proved himself adept at incorporating the most arcane ideas into clothes that seduce. And his source material this season was certainly as promising as any he's ever worked with. But then Schwab's instinct is overwhelmed by overthinking, and the delicate balance on which his success depends tips over. That was made clearest here in his eveningwear. Earlier this year Schwab produced some of the most erotically suggestive and memorable gowns of the season. This time, suggestion solidified into showgirl territory. With added raffia. Inconsistency is always frustrating in talent you respect and admire. The consolation is that tomorrow is another season. The bee never gives up.

Style.com

20-09-2012
V.I.P.

^ Good review: I thought "tribal" immediately when I saw it, not of ancient Greece. But I get the classical references now, and the bees.

Some bees, however, are too busy.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 20-09-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, london, marios, s or s, schwab